Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should i take this new job?...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if its long but....

hello , id really appriciate anyones advice on this. Im 18 and not in any form of education at the moment.

At the moment im working in Tescos doing 22 hours a week. I hate it as the shifts are shite and i really don wanna stay there for a long time. But it keeps a bitta money coming in so i can keep my car running (i cant live without my car).

Ive just got an offer from ntl of a new job in their callcentre. I be training for 12 weeks full time, but im not gaurenteed at the end of that and could end up jobless. the job isnt ideal but it involve computers which is something i really wanna do.

My mate who will be training in the same place and has been jobless for 8months and has been looking thoughout. So theres no other jobs available here.

So shall i go for it and hope for a job at the end or stay safe and miserable?

Comments

• Options
    Well if you're really not happy with the job you're in at the moment and don't see that you have many prospects etc., then I would go for the training and hope of getting a new job. Perhaps it would be a good idea to apply to other places also when you're about halfway through your training, that way if you don't get the job you're likely to have other positions become available to you more quickly. Even if you have to attend interviews and you do actually get the job at the end of your training, it will be more good experience to have.
  • Options
    can I just say :wave: from tesco employee to tesco employee. :p

well, if you're not happy in your job, don't stay in it. you could always try the NTL place. but only do it if you want to for the right reasons. i'm sure tesco will have you back. can you not talk to your manager and see if they'll give you leave or something? or work your training around your current job?
  • Options
    hey fellow tesco employee :wave:

just best scenario is that they give me time off for it. I work in a Metro store so i cant really work around training, the hours could be anywhere from 8am till 12 midnight.

i think i go in tomorrow and have a word with my manager to see if theres anyway to juggle both, then go away and decide whether to hand in my notice or not
  • Options
    Sounds like a Swansea job dilemma to me...!?

Do ntl not pay you anything while you are in training? If not that sounds pretty darn cheeky ... however one of my flatmates used to work in the call centre for them when i lived in south wales, and while it wasn't the best job in the world the perks were good, and the money was better than most of the crappy jobs around ...

Talking to lots of angry customers never tempted me though ... no matter how many free bar nights out they'd give you

:eek: :p