Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

R.D.T at your place of work?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find random drug testing deeply distasteful.

It has, in the main nothing to do with how you work, what business is it of my employer what I do in my spare time if it doesnt effect my work?

By randomly testing people they are assuming people are guilty.

It also ignores the far more likely option of workers coming impared because of their alcohol use. How many co-workers do you have who come in at least one day a week with a serious hang over?

There is also the issue of the tests themselves, the simple urine tests are not massively accurate, they do make mistakes. But as soon as you get a possitive result, then be it a mistake or not your fucked.

One too many poppy seed rolls, or de-congestion tablets and you've got a possitive result.
  • Options
    I would never apply to work for a company that carries out drug tests.

There is one thing to ensure that people are not off their faces while at work. Sadly these tests do not discriminate between past and present consumption. As far as I am concerned I am free to do 17 million lines of coke at the weekend and 10 pills to boot. So long as I am fit to work on Monday it's nobody's fucking business what I've been doing at the weekend.

As it happens, if I were an employer I'd be more willing to employ people who take or have taken drugs in the past than people who'd never touched them in their lives.
  • Options
    I would be happy to see these tests in my work if I knew that ALL public servants had to take them too.

Police and MP's especially. Untill that happens I fail to see why I should take them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

As it happens, if I were an employer I'd be more willing to employ people who take or have taken drugs in the past than people who'd never touched them in their lives.

Why's that?
  • Options
    My kind.
  • Options
    I find that wrong, being a cannabis smoker myself. What the hell is wrong with what you do in your private life? as long as it doesn affect work.
  • Options
    i have to say ...i am surprised! i thought if this thread got any replies they would be more pro RDT.
    what a pleasant surprise. i worry that people are becoming too complacent ...just letting big brother take over because it all seems to be so positive ...so necessary ...so good for us.
    like i said ...pleasant suprise.
  • Options
    I used to know two Doctors who were crack users, sort of puts it into different perspective, whatever your views I do think there is an argument for some professions to be drug-free.
  • Options
    I agree with the right to demand that workers are not off their trolley (or pissed for that matter) while on the job. But the problem with current tests is that they don't determine whether you are fit to be at work; they only tell whether you have consumed any drugs in the last x months.

Until a reliable test can be produced that can tell whether a person is under the influence of drugs while at work no tests should be carried out. Certainly not for non-critical jobs; aircraft pilots, train drivers and other such positions are a different matter.
  • Options
    eh?
  • Options
    Eh? at you :p

What is it?
  • Options
    i posted the right reply but wrong thread, the call centre gremlins are getting to me today, just ignore :crazyeyes