Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eastern Europe and the Euro

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK in May when the 10 new countries join the EU (Czech Rep. Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and the such) will they be joining the Euro immediately or will they be given time to join gradually? Also, how much will this inflate the cost of living in these countries? If they haven't joined the Euro immediately would I still be able to use Euros in those countries?

Ta.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    no mate, unfortunately they're not ready for the Euro yet, so you'll have to change money. Have you got a cash card with the maestro symbol on? I found that was the best way to deal with the money situation when I was abroad. The bank will charge you for it, but it's no worse than paying commission for changing curency.
  • Options
    Re: Eastern Europe and the Euro
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Also, how much will this inflate the cost of living in these countries?

considering that the average yearly wage in poland is under £4000, i wouldn't worry too much about high costs of living.

and when my mum went to poland last year, i'm sure she didn't take zloty, but i can't for the life of me remember what she did take.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Eastern Europe and the Euro
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and when my mum went to poland last year, i'm sure she didn't take zloty, but i can't for the life of me remember what she did take.

they were still using zlotys last june ;)
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Eastern Europe and the Euro
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    they were still using zlotys last june ;)

yus. i had a chat to her, and she said she took euros because the euro - zloty exchange rate was loads better than the sterling one, and because she couldn't find any places near us that even stocked zloty.