Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brunel, Oxford Brookes and Keele

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Can anybody who is at these unis tell me what they think of them? Whats the atmosphere like, etc? Thanks I'd really like to know.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    try and visit them in term time and talk to some random students walkng around!
    I've stayed at Keele before, but out of term-time, but apparently the atmosphere is quite good. It's a very green campus, out in the countryside, and it's a nice place.

It's seclusion is it's biggest problem though- it's a good 40 minuite bus ride into the centre of Stoke, maybe about 25 minutes to Newcastle, so it's quite hard to get off campus. The dual-honours that they do at Keele is a very good idea, and they're big on ERASMUS and terms abroad in places like the US and Canada.
    thanks Kermit. I just realised sumthing...you live in Shipley! LOL...I was born in Halifax. :yes:
    I'm at oxford brookes. Its a pretty cool place. Oxford is general is catered for well for students coz of the 2 unis here. Loads of clubs, shops, cheap places to eat and drink. The unis great. The campuses are nice, all joined up by brookes buses. The main campus is a 5 minute bus ride from town.
    Got great nights at the union which is the biggest venue in oxford and they have soom fab bands there etc. Its generally a nice place. Only downside is the cost of rent, its not extortionate but u've gotta remember how close to london we r.(although that in itself is a plus point)

Major plus in my point in the fact that we run a modular system so exams throughout but no finals which is great. You can do a wide range of modules and even some completely irrelevant to your course in the first yr. All in all its pretty good. I'd pick modules over finals any day!!
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's seclusion is it's biggest problem though- it's a good 40 minuite bus ride into the centre of Stoke, maybe about 25 minutes to Newcastle, so it's quite hard to get off campus.

Obviously it depends where your halls/flat is, but it really isn't that secluded. A friend of mine lives out that way. Yes, it is in the countryside but there are regular buses into Newcastle, and a bus to anywhere in Stoke from there is available quite regularly. The night life in Stoke is apparently very good and people come from all over the Midlands, and cities like Manchester and Birmingham to go out in Stoke. Then again, every other building in Newcastle town centre is a pub.:rolleyes:

Wow, living in NUL actually has uses!:rolleyes:
    Hey,
    I went to Oxford Brookes on a school trip last year and it looked quite a nice university but at the time the students were staging a protest over sports i think, i may be wrong bout that. All the students were pleasant to us while we were there and happy to answer any questions we had, seemed like a good atmosphere as well.

Millsy_Magic
    I've been on a visit day to Brookes and I'm going on another one on March 10th. It seemed pretty nice, the people that we met there were ok too.
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Obviously it depends where your halls/flat is, but it really isn't that secluded.

And there's direct buses to places like Alton Towers, which is only 10 miles or so away from Keele.

It IS a trek into Newcastle or Stoke though:p
    have two mates at Brunel they wake up with a hangover every morning, have millions of new mates and miss it when they go home

so im guessing its got a pretty good atmosphere and community! Because they never were the life and soul of a party when they were at school.