Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

snacks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm diabetic and the thing is i'm a total junkaholic! i love love LOVE all junk food, including really sweet stuff.

i just wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions for wot i could snack on instead of all the sweet stuff which is potentially lethal for me! i've tried cutting it out of my diet, etc but that stuff just does not work...i'm kinda addicted to eating that stuff methinks.

any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My grandpa was Diabetic also and we took care of him. We gave him dried fruit...like dried apples, bananas and peaches. (even though it stil had alot of sugar, just not too much fruit) And he loved Crystal Light. (it sounds like an alcoholic drink but its really not) Its really good. they have good flavors like Kiwi Strawberry, and Pink Lemonade.
    Try to not snack unles you have to- I've found that drinking a glass of water instead of snacking is good, as quite often thirsty feelings are mistaken for hungry feelings. It's great for the skin too.

Though don't know how good that suggetsionw ould be for diabetics, it is for ordinary people.
    I have the exact same problem.
    Basically I just thought, maybe one could take a diet beverage, freeze it, and then have iceicles?

Maybe try chewing gum.
    i know they sell stuff like diabetic chocolate and sweets in boots, maybe try that?

otherwise i don't know enough about diabetes, and wouldn't want to inadvertently kill you :/
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i know they sell stuff like diabetic chocolate and sweets in boots, maybe try that?

otherwise i don't know enough about diabetes, and wouldn't want to inadvertently kill you :/

Thing with those are, that they're loaded with fat and everything else which should be taken with moderation. Sometimes it can be better to take a piece of norml chocolate than a whole package of sugar-free ones thinking it's gonna do no harm.
    + They don't usualyy taste very well :p
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Though don't know how good that suggetsionw ould be for diabetics, it is for ordinary people. [/QUOTE

:confused: are me and naz and all the other people with diabetes some sort of alien?

diabetic choc is to be polite shite! as somone said before it is full of fat and much better to have small bit of a chocolate bar. dont be fooled by the low fat bars either as they may be low in fat but they are generally high in sugar!
    you should really snack on fruit or things like snack a jacks. i know its not what you want but its whats best for you. you dont want to increase your chance of complications. i know there is always a risk but you dont really want to increase your chance do you? believe me i know having endured a year so far of treatment to save my sight.
    next time you go to the diabetic clinic ask to speak to the dietician.
    Originally posted by wee wuman

:confused: are me and naz and all the other people with diabetes some sort of alien?
    [/B]

I know that your Diabetes has caused you complications and problems, but there's no need to be so sensitive, as you know that it was with no bad intent.