Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Proof that Cocaine rots your brain....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
....Says Daily Mail, it states;

'JUST one cocaine binge can permenantly damage long-term memory while repeated use could wreck a career, it emerged yesterday'

Prof Seth Grant says 'People taking cocaine give themselves a form of molecular brain damage, reducing levels of a key gene by upto 50 per cent'

'They found the drug quickly damaged the gene PSD-95 (postsynaptic density 95) which is found at the connecting points between nerve cells and is critical to learning'

So what do you regular users think? How do you think the drug has affected you?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Got a link to the research? Never heard that personally.
    likewise niether have I, its quoted out of todays Daily Mail...
    Re: Proof that Cocaine rots your brain....
    Originally posted by Nash
    Cocaine rots your brain

I had visions of a brain looking like an old rotting piece of wood.

Don't think anyone's under the impression that it's good for you.

The words "scare" & "monger" immediately spring to mind.
    It ain't good for you, its one of the most destructive drugs there is (along with amphetamines and alcohol).
    Re: Proof that Cocaine rots your brain....
    Originally posted by Nash
    Repeated use could wreck a career

no shit daily mail we never knew that :crazyeyes
    you really do learn something new everyday ;)
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    It ain't good for you, its one of the most destructive drugs there is (along with amphetamines and alcohol).
    agrees.
    it sounds like 1964 in america ...you know like they haven't moved on ...
    This research is more serious than it being in the Mail would suggest. Here is the story from the Metro, granted not much of a better source either but they go in a bit more depth.

"Cocaine damages your brain forever"

Taking cocaine could cause irreversable brain damage, scientists said yesterday.
    Abusing the highly addictive drug could lead to long-term memory loss and learning difficulties, they warned.
    Tests on mice showed cocaine inhibited the brain by destroying a key protein, PSD-95, reponsible for learning and long-term memory.
    The findings will worry some young high flyers who work in industries where taking cocaine is often part of the culture. Cocaine gives users a high by stimulating an area of the brain known as striatum and leads to a craving for more of the Class A drug.
    Seth Grant, professor of Molecular Neurosceince at the University of Edinburgh, told the journal Neuron: "The protein is important in remembering people, places and things.
    I would not recomend anyone takes cocaine if they were doing a lot of study or holding down a high level job that requires a lot of thinking."

Its certainly interesting, but most users will ignore it, thinking it makes no difference to them.
    It was on the bbc news website yesterday too. Apparently they dont reccomend you take it if you are studying or have a job that requires thinking.
    Any drug can be taken in moderation.
    they dont reccomend you take it if you are studying or have a job that requires thinking.

I really cant think of any jobs that dont involve some type of thinking, can you? :confused:

Bopz
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    I really cant think of any jobs that dont involve some type of thinking, can you? :confused:

Bopz
    shit shoveling. the shit shovelers union are pleased that their members can comfortably carry on shoveling whist wasted! there will be no random drug tests on people employed in shoveling.
    Well... ive been taking cocaine for a few years now.

I study philosophy at college, study a couple of quite abstract subjects that i need my brain working for but its not made me slow in anyway... got a brilliant memory for details, my mum is always commenting on it. Ive got grades that im really happy with at college. My short term memory isnt as brilliant as long term but then, i smoke green reguarly.

Of course, thats now after only a few years of use im not saying the studies are wrong because what do i know? Its probably very likely that it damages your brain, but then im so tired of the news commenting that one week 'new proof this drug damages your brain/memory' and next week its another. Its boring me now to be honest.

I do think, that cocaine makes me smarter. If i do homework when ive had a toot it comes out as a work of genius (if i do say so myself)

If i felt that i was getting slower or my memory was dying on me then i would automatically put it down to drugs.
    Minxy; I'd be careful about doing school work while on coke, I used to do speed all the time for my essay's at uni and they tended to have a slightly rambling feel to them. Although having said that I did finish top of year.
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Well... ive been taking cocaine for a few years now.

brain/memory' and next week its another. Its boring me now to be honest.

I do think, that cocaine makes me smarter.
    If i felt that i was getting slower or my memory was dying on me then i would automatically put it down to drugs.
    always remember denial.
    I wouldnt say i was in denial rolly, i did say if i felt like i wasnt coping as well anymore or i was getting crap with my college work i would automatically put it down to drugs..

But i do have good work. For philosophy ive only ever got one B, all the rest have been As, im not saying its down to the coke but i always seem to write really good pieces, it makes me think, so much that when i need to sleep my brains still working too much.

But, i dont know the long term effects.

Budda... i have a tendency to ramble anyway :p luckily all my assignments have word limits so i have to cut the rambling out :p
    Makes you think, like the Metro said, cocaine is often part of the culture with professionals.

Go to work in an office in london, lunch times comes and everyones having a bit of a toot.

Businesses are famous for it, wonder if they realise theres a study which suggests it may make them absolutely crap?

My fellas first day of work at a design consultants, they offered him cocaine. He was 17.
    I think you only have to look at most marketing campaigns to realise the damage cocaine can do.
    Watch it with the coke. It has a nasty habit of creeping up on people.