Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Transferring unis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey,

I'm considering trying to get transferred from my current uni to one closer to my original home. I'm fed up of having no proper mates here, and wanna go back to living near my mates at home.

Does anyone know what I'd have to do, to try and transfer?

Thanks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to apply through UCAS again I think and your about 1 month passed the deadline. Maybe the better question is why you feel that you have no mates as you cant carry your old school buddies around with you forever.

Bopz
    I agree with Bopperz. In answer to your question, apply through UCAS but you've missed this year's deadline so you'll be applying for entry in earliest 2005.

But really, I don't think it's the right answer. Some people take a while to settle in but it's always worth it in the end, so just stick it out - maybe you need to make more of an effort to mingle with new people? Join sports teams, clubs etc, meet all the other students who like you have probably also had a tough time feeling at home; don't think you're the only one. I know it's easy to compare new 'friends' unfavourably with your friends back home at first, but of course it's going to be like that since you haven't known them as long. But that comes in time.

If you move to another uni closer to home, not only will you find it even harder to settle in - and remember this is long-term, it's not as if you're only there for a few months - but also I don't think it'll actually help being geographically closer to home. Your friends are all moving on too, and you don't want to hang on to old things too much.

I'm sure TheSite has a feature about making new friends at uni somewhere! Keep your chin up and persevere - it's got to get better.
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    You have to apply through UCAS again I think and your about 1 month passed the deadline.

well...i transferred unis, doing the same course, and didnt do it that way. I emailed the new uni and asked them about it and what i should do next. I reckon that would be your best way...to start with anyway. If you are gonna be changing course, then its probably not that simple

Good luck :thumb:
    why don't you have a word with the head of your department. also phone up the administration people of the uni you want to change to and see what they say.
    It would be the same course.

Theres been something getting me down, and could do with talking to a mate about it. Thats when I realised theres no proper mates I have. I'm in the hockey team, and go out clubbing a lot, but always as a big group. Theres noone I particularly bond with.

I guess it can take a while to fit in. I'll just have a think about it.
    its not too late to apply through ucas. I transfered uni's last year, i applied through ucas about may. I think its a load of bollocks that they said you need a certain deadline. I think there's a later deadline of like June or something if your transfering. I would speak to the department of the uni you want to move to, they might be more helpful than the uni your at. thats what I found anyways coz the uni i was at wasn't much help but my new uni was so much help. Anyways hope it all works out for the best.

Good Luck:thumb: