Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anybody studying sociology AS??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I gave my notes on ethnicity and education to a friend weeks ago, still havent got them back and need to hand an essay in after half term...

The essay is on the extent to which labelling theory is responsible for the underachivment of some ethnic groups.

Ive had a look in text books and there is nothing much on labelling theory regarding ethnicity.

Does anybody have a list of sociologists who studyed it? Might help me narrow down my search for info. So far I have Coard's opinions on labelling and its effects, and a little on Cecile Wrights study..

Any more ideas?

Be very gratefull....
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done A-level sociology so should be able to remember some of these things :rolleyes:

But I can't.

I've had a look for my AS notes but I can't find them without rummaging through every single drawer. I've got my A2 revision guide which I just looked in but it's a bit vague.

If there's anything else I could maybe help with, don't hesitate to pm me.
    oh ok thanks anyway :)
    Right i know is not up to as standard but i found some stuff in my old gcse folder about race abd education

The ethnic minorities differ in their educational perofmance from whites. Although some asians in particular perform exeptionally well, others such as west indians and bangladeshis, perform poorly.
    Reasons for the poor performance of children of the ethnic minorities.

As he mijority of ppl in the ethnic minorities belong to the working class the same explanations are usful for their failure

1- family background and material circumsatnces.(same as working class)

2- the hidden curriculum

3- the teachers expectaintions. teachers may hold streiotypes of chicldren fromt he E.M, eg they are more excitable and less academic

4- Racism. not only is there direct racism in school, both by other pupils and certain members of staff, but there is also racism in the wider society which the west idian child frequently meets. this can lead to a rejection of school and the dominant culture.

I shall keep looking for ya
    problems of terminology - word 'coloured' out lawed in 1960's due to black power movement, word black used to emphasise pride, but now movemnet to emphasising ethnicity rather than race. The struggle of a search for name - shows a search for identity which could effect self esteem and then performance.

Cultural racism - the new racism- Barker. how in Britain other etnicicties are portrayed as aliens who perversley fail to integrate into British culture.

Institutional racism - Birtish education system fails to provide education which meeds need of these etnic groups. The system has low expectations of tehir abilities.

erm i think the answer is no then sorry :( i didnt do socilogy but communcations. was loking through socilogy book but nothing corresponds to that question.
    Thanks for taking the time to look everyone :) Was looking specifically for labelling theory as a reason.

Pepsi-- Barker, i recognise his name he must have something to do with labelling, either that or hidden curriculum it sounds like

Im just about to have a look at the links BlackArab thanks..