Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Learning the french language - tips/methods??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ive made a decision to improve upon my basic french and try and learn it as a second language.
Can anyone who has studied or learnt another language please pass on any tips or methods that could help me acheive my goal.

Im kinda thinking of a 2 year time limit. At the moment all i have is a couple of french learning books and some audio cd's. I will get more learning material as i get better.

Many thanx!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Listen to the CDs, watch French films, find French newspaper websites and read them, see if you can watch French TV on the internet, read those little readers you can buy, progressing to short stories and then start reading French novels.

Basically, expose yourself to the language as much as you can. Also, I don't know how keen you are on this, but you might want to get yourself a French penfriend or someone just to chat to, as well as going over there to do a language course if you can afford it - and maybe spend some time there in the summer if you can get a job there?

Keep up with the textbooks though, they're the basis :)

(Before you ask anything complicated, I don't speak any French - this is just general stuff about learning a langugage; I learn Spanish & Italian at uni)
  • Options
    Re: Learning the french language - tips/methods??