Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anybody study at London School of Economics or been to open days etc...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Whats it like? My tutor seems to think id be accepted to study there & as i wont get a chance to go to an open day there for god knows how long was wondering if any of you have been there?

Is there any sort of community there? Doesnt seem to be much of one.. unlike other Unis..

Worth a shot asking you guys!....
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am fairly sure it doesnt have student accomadation, which like my uni does lead to a different feel because so much of uni social life revolves around that.

I also know its amoung the best uni's in the UK, it will be very hard work, but then a good grade from there will carry a lot of weight.
    It does have student accomodation.. what shocks me is most of it is shared with up to two other people (cant have that) It is an amazing uni, big businesses head hunt students about to graduate, but something about it not being on one huge campus like Holloway makes me not even want to consider going to an open event.. cant be much of a community.

Having said that, my mate at UCL lives in similar situation and says it has an amzing community..
    Oh, I'm surprised by that, shows how much I know then doesnt it. Have you got a prospectus yet?
    there are good comedy nights at the student bar, cheap beer and a late license :) Plus it is central so would be easy to get to if you chose to live further out in the city. London has a massive student community, so worst comes to worst shouldn't be too hard to find a student share house...

Susie :)
    I go to the LSE!

I only started in september, but i really like it.

The work is HARD and you're expected to make the effort to do it... but i suppose that 's fair.

LSS isn't a campus uni, but that's something I like... there's always something happening. You live in the real world, rather than the student version of it and London is an amazing, but expensive, place to live. I would say that av. drink price is about £3... you can find student deals tho... the most i've ever paid for a drink was £8.50 :eek: Living out of halls will be expensive too... like min rent £100 per week.

There is a sense of community, but not like that at other unis... LSE takes alot of foreign students (i think it's like 60% non-British students) and that kinda creates communities within the uni, as well as things like being a member of AU or the hall you live in.

I know very few people who have to share rooms... I'm not sure where you heard that most people did!

It is an amazing uni... certainly come and visit. The facilities etc. are wicked (thanks to the foreign students.. )... but it does lack green spaces and places to relax

it's v competitive, (like 13ppl per 1 place) but to have degree from the LSE is definately something.

pm me if u wanna know anything else

Soph xxxx
    Originally posted by The First Lady

Living out of halls will be expensive too... like min rent £100 per week.

If you look through LOOT (listing paper, one of best places to find rented accom in London) you often see student friendly share houses and rooms offered for £60-£80 and there is always the possibility of sharing a larger room with a friend and splitting the rent.
    See, for the first year i would want to live in Halls, for the experience, just not share a room.. i live in london anyway, very close to UEL so for the second and third year id be back at home...

I got the prospectus through yesterday, it is an amazing uni but i think i might have to go to the Open day, i just read the accomodation bit, only 52 shared rooms, better than i thought...

Just, i dont know, it doesnt scream 'university' to me.. but, i get the feeling LSE is for hard working, ambitious, sensible people i dont think i could hack it!

im staying with my mate in his halls at UCL next week to give me a taster of what its like that'll be good!
    Thats why I went to a shit university, so I'd look better in comparison.