Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

uni is rubbish

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fairywings
    I agree i am hating uni at the moment, I haven't made any real friends just friendly towards people on my floor. Im hoping next year when classes are smaller i will be able to make friends with people on my course but im just riding the rest of this year out, thre isnt long to go now.

im the same but noone on my course get on with and people in my halls are nice enough people, but i dont have anything in common with them :( but i do like my course (is thatpossible?) and since im at uni in the city i lived before (london) i may move home next year and see my old college mates
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    Yeh, but sometimes it depends how much work you put in. I'm not saying he didn't work hard; but....

:chin:

Well, I guess, subconsciously I didn't really want to be bothered studying for the next four years, so that was possibly part of it. I do think my college was a bit pushy about us going to uni though; at the time I sent my UCAS form off I didn't really want to go that much, but they were a bit kind of 'What else are u going to do then'? So then I went on a course that turned out to be a waste of time, but stuff like that happens..
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    god...halls are a nightmare. The room i had was right next to a squeeky main door, so there was always someone going through. Also, my neighbour would go out at night leaving his music on full blast.

Earplugs help :) I share a flat with 15 other people so someone is making noise somewhere pretty much all the time. The walls are nice and thick so I can't hear much from the flats above or below, but the doors are very thin.
  • Options
    Originally posted by loftx2
    Earplugs help :) I share a flat with 15 other people so someone is making noise somewhere pretty much all the time. The walls are nice and thick so I can't hear much from the flats above or below, but the doors are very thin.

15 people!! :eek: thats a BIG flat!:crazyeyes

I hate uni at the moment, i dont think i can go another year of it...but then i think ive come this far (3rd year) i may as well do 4th...i dunno :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by draven
    15 people!! :eek: thats a BIG flat!:crazyeyes

I hate uni at the moment, i dont think i can go another year of it...but then i think ive come this far (3rd year) i may as well do 4th...i dunno :confused:

Yup but I actually moved accomodation from a 4 person flat to a 16 person flat because it was really dead and there was never anyone around my old flat.

Is it just the halls that get on your nerves - could'nt you live out in 3rd year?
  • Options
    Not really on topic as such, but i'm going from loving Uni to hating it over about 12 hours, not good for me or anyone else. NOt sure what to to do really, I suddenly miss my friends at home, particularly the ones I had before starting 6th form. Maybe its time for a trip home for week, sort my head out a bit.....:confused:

Bopz
  • Options
    To prove a point:

I now feel happy and like Uni.....

This is strange!

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by loftx2
    Is it just the halls that get on your nerves - could'nt you live out in 3rd year?

oh...i dont stay in halls anymore, im at home...its the subject i dont like

oh well :eek2:
  • Options
    I feel like it is pointless sometimes. All that debt, and then constantly reading about how degrees are pointless.

If I went back and did it again, I am not sure I would have gone to uni. Now I'm halfway through my second year and I am not going to drop out now, it would be a waste of time and tuition fees.
  • Options
    I didn't like uni much, so I quit. Went for 3 months, got the doubts and after much thinking gave it up. Loved lots about it, was lucky and got put in a flat with some great people, enjoyed the freedom and such.
    Unfortunately the course was utter crap. Did the subject for A level expecting to learn more, but it went over stuff that was sub-AS level in parts. I was not impressed.
    So started to miss seminars, lectures and all. Got warnings, sent email explaining my problems with the course, got harsh un-helpful email back. Quit.
    The whole experience makes me pretty dis-enchanted with the whole uni thing really. Despite being one of the best in the country for my course, my uni was rubbish. Management and admin was pretty haphazard, the whole system seemed kinda amateurish.
    Anyways, I figured that if it didn't feel totally "right", then I really shouldn't be spending more money than I've seen in my life on it, and setting myself up for big-o-debt, AND dedicating 3 years of my life to it.
    Maybe I didn't like it because I'm somewhat older than the majority of students. The lifestyle wasn't fresh and new enough to make up for the crapness or something, I dunno.

The only advice I can give you is much like some of the other replies you've had. Think it over. Remember you're a paying customer, if you're not happy with something the uni could/should rectify then TELL someone who's in a position to help, your Student Information desk, counsellor or somesuch.
    It may help, or it may not. Personally I got out and while I do miss some of it, I'm in a better position now. I'm earning my own money, I've cleared the mini-debt I had. I'm no closer to knowing what the hell I want to do with my life, but then at least I'm not paying for the privilege.
    I think it's foolish to believe that the only way you'll be successful and have a happy life is to get a degree.
    Yes, they're helpful, but then there're employers choosing those with experience over those with degrees.
    Do what feels right, it's that simple. Great thing about life is you're very rarely without viable options, very rarely trapped.
  • Options
    Stick with it mate. I'm talking from experience. I went when I was 18, did the first year of a maths degree, hated my degree and uni tbh. But decided maybe if I found a degree I liked I'd stick at it, so went back to do Business studies. Didn't mind that but missed my fiance of the time and so allowed that to sway me and I quit. Worst decision of my life.

I then spent the next nearly 2 years, trying to find a decent job, one which gave me prospects and a decent career. Only to draw a blank. Top jobs that pay top wages aren't given to those without degrees, or at least not very often. THese days far too many folk have degrees for employers to look at you twice without them. But they also don't want people with A-Levels, cos it costs too much to pay them, rather than a nice little 16 years old who will accept minimum wage and can be trained for their purpose.

I've now gone back doing computing. I don't particularly enjoy uni and yes I'd much rather be working, not being skint continually, having things to do with my time constantly etc. IN fact I'd prob be better off doing it at night schoo tbh, but it takes that much longer to do degrees part time and I don't want to waste any more of my life than I have to.

All I can say is I had all these ideas that there was lots more I could do if I left uni, plenty of jobs where I could get a good career. But the sad fact of the matter is that there aren't many options open to you. I had to swallow my pride about it and grew up to the truth of the world of employment today.