Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Arranged Marriages.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know how people can go through with arranged marriages. To me you marry someone because you love them, not your parents. I have often wondered what it must be like to have your parents say this is your future husband and you are expected to marry him then live happily ever after :confused:

Do we still have arranged marriages or are they on the decline? Do arranged marriages last ?

If anyone has any stories about this subject Id like to know a bit more, so any info you may have then fire away.

What are your views on arranged marriage ? and what would you do if you had to get married to a stranger, because in arranged marriages they are two total strangers.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Arranged marriages still exist in abundance, especially round Bradford, and Ill say one thing: its amazing how many women who turn their back on arranged marriages have chip-pans that spontaneously combust.
  • Options
    gwst I agree these killings are bad. I dont know much about sentencing but you say they get reduced sentences.....that dont seem right.

With an arranged marriage if they did not get on and just for arguments sake say the husband was violent towards the wife would the girls parents allow her to leave him, or would she be made to live like that ?
  • Options
    arranged marriage was the norm in most societies and most religions throughout history ...even our own. marrying for love is a fairly modern concept and marrying for love doesn't have much of a track record in our modern world of quick and easy divorce.

i'm having to unarange my youngest daughters marriage!
  • Options
    I don't think arranged marriages are necessarily a bad thing, depending on the circumstances. Generally, the 2 people are not total strangers by the time they marry. They have arranged meetings to get to know each other and see if they get along. It's not usually completely forced.

As for "honour" killings, I have never heard of any case in this country when someone got a reduced sentence...are there any cases?
  • Options
    I think its OK as long as the participants have some choice in it, ie the parents arrange it, but the kids have a right to say yes or no.
  • Options
    It depends what you view the purpose of marriage as.

Like M. Roll says our modern version has not always been the most obvious version.

For a lot of history marriage has been an economic prospect. A man needs to get married to have someone to look after the house and the kids, the woman needs to get married to have someone to support her and the kids and both need kids to look after them in old age.

It is only the enormous wealth of modern society and the protection afforded by the welfare state etc that allows most people to ignore these factors entirely and marry purely as a public commitment to a loving relationship.

Having said that though it would be foolish to discount economic reasons for modern marriage. Young women marrying their sugar daddies? Pre-nuptials? Pension schemes? Tax breaks? Immigration? Theres loads of it.....................
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    slightly on a tangent but still related - honour killings. they sicken me. and quite often, the murderers get reduced sentences because they're "victims" - bullshit, IMHO. nothing ever excuses murdering someone you're supposed to love and care for because of something they do which isn't pleasing to you. and rape victims are subjected to it as well, in order to keep the family honour clean. fucking animals.

It's easy to say that there should never be an excuse for killing somebody because they displease you, but have you been in a situation of domestic violence? I mean I'm not an expert on it, but I assume that's what you men... right? I can't see why somebody would kill another person, but at the same time I hope to never be in the position where I will feel what it's like to be pushed to those measures.
    Originally posted by Mr Roll
    arranged marriage was the norm in most societies and most religions throughout history ...even our own. marrying for love is a fairly modern concept and marrying for love doesn't have much of a track record in our modern world of quick and easy divorce.

Indeed, people used to marry for money and prestige, not through love. Further more whilst I disagree on the concept of arranged marriage there's also the debate that different cultures should have the right to practice their religion and culture... and that's somewhere in the human rights act too.

I personally disagree on the concept of marriage and the nuclear family anyway, but that's me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty

As for "honour" killings, I have never heard of any case in this country when someone got a reduced sentence...are there any cases?
    Yes very much so, it happend to a girl I went to college with :( and I have heard of quite a few in the midlands and else where for that matter
  • Options
    Hmm, no one is really talking about arranged marriages anymore, so I will continue with honour killings.

It is easy for us to say they are wrong, but in Asian cultures they, along with arranged marriages, having been happening for a very long time. It is all they know. This is why it has taken time for racist and homophobic attitudes to change. If you hate someone, or a certain type of person, you can't just change your opinion. I blame the PC government for not teaching young British Asians about the clash of culture, for fear of being accused of repressing cultural beliefs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    It's easy to say that there should never be an excuse for killing somebody because they displease you, but have you been in a situation of domestic violence? I mean I'm not an expert on it, but I assume that's what you men... right? I can't see why somebody would kill another person, but at the same time I hope to never be in the position where I will feel what it's like to be pushed to those measures.

She meant honor killings as in familys who kill a member because they've hurt their honor by acting to western.
  • Options
    my daughters doc was round today ...she's indian. so i asked what she thought about arranged marriages ...she started laughing and explained that her marriage was an arranged one. back in 1970 in bombay. their families knew each other very well ...both her and her husband were reluctant and very nervous. she was at university he was working in the chemical industry. they didn't seem to have much in common.
    but out of deep respect for their families and they way they were brought up and ...the fact that the families spent as much time together as possible for a few years once the fathers had agreed upon the arrangement meant all went well. she says they love each other deeply ...which took time and effort and comittment.
    she did say though that as in all aspects of life there are arranged marriages that would better be described as forced marriages. those are the ones that make for a bad press. her and her husband are considering an arranged martriage for their eldest duaghter.
  • Options
    Difficult to criticise this system when marriage "for love" brings such a high divorce rate, isn't it?
  • Options
    Vinyl Vicky, do you have any links to these cases where the killer got a reduced sentence?

The only cases I can think of, recently the young Kurdish girl killed by her father, and Sadia Bibi in Birmingham, killed by her cousins who didn't approve of her fiance. In both of these cases the perpetrator was found guilty of murder and given life sentences.

I am glad I am not having an arranged marriage myself, but don't think it's necessarily such a bad thing. I think love can grow, and if your parents love you they will choose carefully.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Does anyone know how much choice is available to most people considering an arranged marriage? As opposed to what Mr Roll called a 'forced marriage', which is one end of the spectrum?

My experience is that it has been up to the parties themselves whether everything goes ahead, but is this always the case?
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Does anyone know how much choice is available to most people considering an arranged marriage? As opposed to what Mr Roll called a 'forced marriage', which is one end of the spectrum?

My experience is that it has been up to the parties themselves whether everything goes ahead, but is this always the case?

I have not seen any studies but I have read a few articles by female Muslim journalists who all seem to say that the 'forced' marriage is in a minority. Arranging seemed to be an extended dating service where, people were introduced if thought suitable but by and large, the couple had a choice.

BTW aren't Royal marriages arranged? as I do remember several cases where Royalty have had to give up certain rights because they went against Royal protocol.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Royal marriages have been arranged since the year dot, primarily to gain power, wealth or land. A good marriage was all three.... But as Mr Roll adn Moonrat mentioned, in western society up until last century, arranged marriages were the norm for most of society, formally or informally.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    She meant honor killings as in familys who kill a member because they've hurt their honor by acting to western.

Ooh I understand. I was confuzzled with mercy killings.
    Difficult to criticise this system when marriage "for love" brings such a high divorce rate, isn't it?

That's because it's easier to get divorced these days... I think.

I don't think information for such a topic would be easy to come by. Think about it, looking at statistics how would we be able to define what a 'forced marriage' is and even on the grounds of interviews, families from different parts of the world have different views on honour and privacy. They may not confide in the interviewer on the topic or perhaps might lie for fear of trust. I couldn't imagine it being easy to analyse.
  • Options
    it's someones birthday today. someone special!
  • Options
    I respect other peoples beliefs but I feel arranged marriages are not the most tactful way to continue the genes even if it is assured. You hear many nasty stories about shotgun weddings in rural India. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade

There IS choice available in Indian arranged marriages anyway, but often in some of the more rural areas, they would be "forced". The marriage is often performed when the children are still young, 5 or 6 years old, as assurance that they have a suitable partner when they are older. These children then return to their respective homes and will not live together until they are older. At that time, they can agree to stay together or decide that they do not want to continue to be married. However, sometimes the cultural pressure to stay together makes the decision for them.
  • Options
    It is easy for us to say they are wrong, but in Asian cultures they, along with arranged marriages, having been happening for a very long time. It is all they know.

Gosh, that was patronising.
  • Options
    our free choice of who we wed isn't fairing very well is it.