Home› Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

advertising.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone remember the just say no posters on billboards across the land in the 80's?
a picture of a young guy sat on the floor and loads of little arrows pointing at different parts of the body with explanations about what heroin does to you. heroin use rocketed!
the one near my home in manchester had an equaly huge poster next to it for ...whiskey. i used to look at it and wonder how many youngsters would compare the two and think ...well my dad drinks whiskey and the description of the heroin sounds pretty much like him in the mornings ...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Zammo and his lot didn't fair too well either.

Roly got done for dealing as with him off Londons Burning. Tucker getting HIV was the icing on the cake.
    Originally posted by Andy_Booth

Roly got done for dealing
    yeah ...tell me about it!
    All I remember was "act like a broken record, Just Say NO"

Its done me proud I must say.
    Everytime i think of smackheads the words "choose life" spring to mind... i think i seen trainspotting too many times!
    They showed us that picture in primary school.

A policeman also came to the school to show as a picture of a bloke leaning against the wall with blood everywhere after his ear had exploded, apparantly due to heroin...

He then opened a briefcase of 'real drugs' and showed them all to us. We did a role play - i got to be the drug dealer .. got teased for that for ages so obviously, at the time those scare tactics worked!

We were also told of a bloke on Acid who thought he was an orange so got a knife and cut off his flesh. And a bloke on Acid who though he could fly so jumped of a tower and died..

I look back and think.... :rolleyes:
    Scare tactics about LSD are the worst of them all, they havent changed since the 60's.

They would be funny if they werent so serious and its not like people dont believe them either. We had someone asking about acid flashbacks on here a while ago who was suggesting it drained your spinal fluid and stayed in your fat cells.
    The thing is, whilst scare tactics work on younger children (not many 9 year olds aim towards smoking or taking drugs when they grow up) children often point at me to their mums and say 'ummmm shes naughy shes smoking thats bad isnt it' etc which is quite embarassing. So for that period of their life, the tactics work.

As children get a little older, they find out that some tactics arent true, that some of the myths and horror stories arent true, or at least may not be true. That can then make them lose faith in all the warning stories theyve heard. They dont know whats true and whats not. Chances are, if they find out a few are myths theyll think that theyve been spun a pack of lies. Not know what to believe and so, some kids choose to believe none of them. Some kids dont ge the chance to find out the true facts about drugs. And finding out teachers, policemen and parents are spinning out the same scare tactics can make kids disbelieve their parents when they are being straight about the dangers.

in my experience at least
    You are totaly right Minxy, how many drug users do you know that trust anything the government says? Not many.

So even if they only lie once and the rest of it is perfect, they've fucked it all by that one lie. Thats why the whole 'Talk to Frank' is so depressing because its such a waste of money.
    wow you agree... :p
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    how many drug users do you know that trust anything the government says? Not many.

think that im a prime example of that one!!
    I normally aggree with you Minxy, its just sometimes I try and stear you towards the right answer to a question.
    nicely put!!!

I really do think that i am an example of the effects that those myths can have. I rejected many stories and went blindly into drug use. Learning as i went along. Sometimes i got things very wrong which has led me to a bit of trouble. Any knowledge i do have now is from experience, and sources that i TRUST (such as erowid) but such places of information a few and far between.
    Erowid and me!

I think most of us are like that, I first used pills really not knowing a great deal about them, my first pill I bought off a bloke I didnt know and did it whole.

It wasnt really till a little while afterwards before I started to research a lot. Then when you get involved in the rarer chemicals your almost forced into it really.
    Yes, and you!! definately you.

I was the same with pills. My boyfriend was (at the time) and ex pill user. All i knew of pills was 'one can kill you' that was it. So for some unknown reason i bought two 20 minutes later felt nothing so stole two off the dealer who was at my friends house convinced id been ripped off and had them. Thought the whole thing would be over in and hour when my boyfriend came to pick me up. When it came down to the comedown the next day my boyfriend wasnt talking to me, he was angry at me for trying to take them behind his back, that day was one of the most horrible days i had. I cried non stop, felt so rough that i thought i was going to die. Was petfrified, because i never had been told by anybody about comedowns, about the effects of pills etc...
    That sounds grim, my proper first time was with my brother, it was fantastic, we chatted for ages and really got to know each other. Very cool.
    Thats what you need, support and good company on your first time. To make it even better. I sat on my boyfriends bed alone all night in the dark dying for him to wake up. He shunned me all night! But too be honest.. i didnt care too much! Thought it was the msot amazing feeling!

It really is a sad state of affairs where i trust a faceless name on the internet for drug advice and information over police, parents, lecturers, the government etc....
    Come on, I'm not that bad, I can see what you mean though, and I wouldnt have been a faceless name if you'd come to Moondance.
    no i dont mean it in a bad way, you know what i mean..

I thought i was finally getting over my annoyance at not going Moondance but you have to dredge it back up dont you ;) You also wouldnt be a faceless name if you come to RAINDANCE!!!! g'wan!
    I've told you I'm not allowed out that often, to be honest I kinda wish I'd saved it and gone to Raindance insted now, but, oh well.

Maybe later in the spring when I'm earning a bit more I might be allowed out again. But well its difficult.
    the latest adverts in the media for cannabis are great! big picture of our favourite leaf ..."remember ...it's still illegal"
    oh yeah that reminds me ...must go and get some weed, not had any in a while ...PMSL! all it does is fucking advertise innit.
    on the radio it spends about 2 minutes going through about 50 bloody slang words for cannabis half no-one uses like parsley and toot then says "call it what you like just dont call it legal" WHO GIVES A FUCK :P

it says as well cannabis can be harmfull but doesnt focus on why or how it can be harmful, they just seem commited to letting people know its still illegal just to keep the general public happy.

Someone at work told me today one of the liberal democrats policys if elected is to legalise cannabis is that true?
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    on the radio it spends about 2 minutes going through about 50 bloody slang words for cannabis ... toot

Thats cocaine.. or at least what i call cocaine :p

About the Lib Dems... Yup, thats true they support legalisation of cannabis. They say if they came to power it would be decriminalised and if they are permitted internationally, then it will be legalised in England. They have also voted to remove prison sentences for harder drug users. As well as that they claim want to downgrade pills to class B..
    fuck me, i might get off my ass and start voting then LOL
    lol thing is theres never gunna be enough fucking voters for lib dems!!! :crying: im mroe worried about them fixing up the university fees! that would make me a very happy bunny if they came to power.. i can wish!
    i know minx, in all my existence i`ve only ever known conservatives and labour in power, they suck give the lib dems a chance!

im gonna spread the word.... the druggys will come out and vote in there thousands if we all spread the word together!

Besides we could let em legalise all the drugs and whatnot and if there shit kick em out on the next general election everyones a winner!!
    hehe good theory!

although... i dont trust politicions could be talking bull fro all we know!! :p

its never gunna happen sadly...
    It doesnt matter who you vote for the government always wins.

Voter apathy certainly is a big problem in the UK and around the western world with many of the main parties converging on the center ground.

You are indeed right, if all the 'druggies' did vote as one block then they would certainly pull some wieght, but untill some party actually interests the younger voter I dont see that happening.

The problem is that it is easier to ignore the younger voters because they dont vote, than to appeal to the younger voters and hope that they turn out. Because in the main they dont and if you appeal to much to the younger voters you will isolate your support amoung the 'grey army'.

You will see this country run more and more for pensioners and older people because they are the ones who vote, and why would any MP listen to those who dont vote?

There has been talk of lowering the age at which you could vote, I think this would make very little difference. Personally I would like to actually see it raised to 21. Its a very big descision and not something to be taken lightly. It is also a topic that I would like to see covered in the 'life skills' classses I have suggested in other threads.

Remember, many people died so we could get the vote, it is VERY important.