Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Veggie diet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a 16 YO veggie, i think ive mentioned that before. But many people are saying i'm not being healthy at all, as I need to eat more protein as I should be "broadenning out" at this age (i'm male)

What are your views on veggie diets? do u think they're healthy?

(btw. i don't eat much veg, i stick to pizzas, chips and quorn lol think i shud reconsider it?)

thanx in advance :D

Comments

• Options
    I went througha veggie stage when I was about 12, and I was a vegetarian for a year because I didn't like the way that they treated animals (slightly irrelevant link).

Anyway, at the end of that year as I was still growing I had become weak and ill-looking through not getting the right stuff that I got from meat. In my year of vegetarianism I probably saved a field mouse but I went back to eating meat so that I could be healthy again.

I think the veggie diets can be healthy if you do your research and know which foods you need to replace meat with, pizza and chips are junk food and give you very little of what you need when you're growing, Quorn isn't so bad.

If I were you I would reconsider being vegetarian until you're abit older and have nearly finished growing. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I think the veggie diets can be healthy if you do your research and know which foods you need to replace meat with, pizza and chips are junk food and give you very little of what you need when you're growing, Quorn isn't so bad.
    :no: Hmmm ... if you're a veggie for "moral" reasons or whatever you should be aware that Quorn contains battery eggs.

If not, it's a good source of protein. Also (vegetarian) cheese, tofu, mushrooms, nuts, pulses... aduki beans make a good alternative to mince :yes:

But, yeah, veggie society is the best place to look. If you have any worries about your health, see your GP or a nutritionist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    :no: Hmmm ... if you're a veggie for "moral" reasons or whatever you should be aware that Quorn contains battery eggs.

But he/she does eat quorn, so clearly that isn't a problem, so clearly that's irrelavant seen as though I was refering to the nutritional side of things.
  • Options
    Here's some advice from the site on eating a healthy well balanced diet, whilst being a veggie.

Veggie diet
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    you should really be eating more vegetables, pizza and chips are fine in proportion (I'm fairly sure thats not the right word.. but anyhoo) but you really should be trying to eat a varied diet

if you can. take some vitamin supplements, that should help make up for anything you're missing, but they aren't magick!

Try to eat more fruit and vegetables!

agreed. I've been veggie for 6 years and I looooooooove vegetables and sometimes I take vitamins so I should be fine :D
  • Options
    I sometimes get the urge to find a wood, kill a dear/bear/boar and eat its cooked sizzling meat over a campfire.