Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shrinks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mom keeps asking me if I want to order schedule an appointment with either a psychologist or a psychiatrist (she's got some names, not sure which they are) since after she stumbled across me crying.

The thing is that I'm scared shitless of the idea of meeting one, but on the other hand, now that my family knows, I know I'm making them feel bad, and knowing that only makes me feel worse.

But I was just wondering if anybody here knows what to expect if I would go meet one? I'm really scared I'd just break down and cry, or refuse to say anything, but I do want to get better, and I am obviously not going to do it on my own. :(

So if anybody could tell me something I would appreciate it a lot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Shrinks

Well, obviously it depends who you see. I saw (and still see) a therapist for 2 years and she didn't seem to help me so I went to a psychiatrist, only once, and found it very hard. He contradicted me and asked me a lot of direct questions, which can be hard to take from someone you don't know when you're trying to talk about very personal things. It was small things like questioning the fact that I say I'm gay when I have never had a girlfriend or a boyfriend. I actually came away very wound up by it.

But that, I must stress, was just my experience.

Sometimes when I go to see the therapist I have a bad session and I end up feeling worse, or don't think she's helping at all, but the cumulative effect of all the times I've seen her is beginning to take hold and I am definitely better than I was. Don't expect overnight results, it won't happen, and be prepared that you may end up committing a lot of time to the treatment, but it's probably worth trying if you think you are depressed.

I hope I've helped, I will talk more about it out of the public arena if you like, just PM me.

Picc.
    xxx
    this depends on loads of things.

i've seen both, on referral from my doctor.

the first psychiatrist i saw was specifically trying to diagnose me, so she asked me a lot of 'what do you do?' 'what's actually happening?' type questions. they were very diagnostically driven. she asked me a lot about the type of thoughts i had and things like that....

the psychologist was a lot more 'and how did that make you feel?' 'and why do you think you do that?' which to be honest, made me nervous.
    Mom finally called today, so I'm going to a psychiatrist in two weeks. It'll be a scary experience for me since I really hate talking about how I feel and get upset easily if people prod me for information.

Thanks to both of you, I really appreciated it and feel that I know at least a bit better what I'm jumping into. I guess nothing can prepare me for the actual appointment though..