Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

money money money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
help i really need some advice. on the 1st december i stupidly left my job due to lots of reasons. i then found it impossible to get a new job straight away. as a result i am now in debt. i am £217 overdrawn with the bank and today they threatened to close my account and send it to a debt collection company. I have told them my circumstances but they cant help me any futher. I do start a new job in two weeks but they say that is too late and i will get charged £8 a day while my account is still open. Basically i dont know what to do, i cant pay anything until i get a job and i am worried that should they give it to a debt collection company i wont be able to get another account to pay my bills. anyone with any advice please help me

natalie

Comments

• Options
    are you able to borrow the money of any family or a partner? If you are you can pay it all off and then pay the person back when you start the new job.
  • Options
    call these people

National Debtline
    Helpline offering information and advice on debt, including credit cards, council tax, utility bills, bank charges, and harrassment.
    Helpline: 0808 8084000

They can help you

Susie :)
  • Options
    Although you have a new job lined up this advice is a little on the late side. You are entitled to dole (unemployed benefits) money its not a huge ammount but its something while your earning nothing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    Although you have a new job lined up this advice is a little on the late side. You are entitled to dole (unemployed benefits) money its not a huge ammount but its something while your earning nothing.

Not if you voluntarily left your job.
  • Options
    The only thing i can think of is borrowing money from friends or family if you are SURE you can pay it back. Its not a large amount of money so in the future be sure to arrange an overdraft! I'm assuming you have already gone to the bank and asked to speak to one of their financial advisors? Its worth investigating if you can transfer your debt like you can with credit cards...i'm not sure!The only other thing would be to sell or pawn something. Sorry i'm not much help but hopefully that number someone gave you in a previous post will give you good advice!:)
  • Options
    Id' try and borrow it off friends and family since it's onyl around £200 but at £8 per day form the bank that will add up real soon.

Also what about a temping agency - you start a new job in 2 weeks but many office agencies can find you a job the next day to cover for someone that's called in sick.

I saw a TV report on Pawn Brokers the other day.

Maybe this could be a last resort. But better then a loan shark and I'm sure their interest is nothing like the £8 per day the bank wants.