Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Anti-Social Behaviour Act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
article on the new laws

What do you think about them?

Susie :)

Comments

• Options
    I'm all for them, plus I'll be one of the people enforcing them.

It's funny how it's only the minority who are already claiming loss of civil rights e.t.c.

All of the people I've spoken to are all for it, if it means that people feel safe again.
  • Options
    I'm for it, if it is handled properly and effective one points though, I don't know any ethnic minorities who's cultures specifically include large groups of kids hanging around the streets. Thats just a kid thing surely.

:confused:
  • Options
    The idea's good, however it still won't solve the problem of the gangs that hang around street corners causing the biggest problems. They'll target the smaller gangs that they know will respond amd move, but the ones that cause the real trouble and problems around the streets, as always will be left well alone.
  • Options
    Anything that clams down on anti-social Behaviour, especially with today's disruptive youth.
    These powers would help new police presence on the street (whowhere I mean you!) teach these kids who think that can cause trouble a lesson and make problems for people trying to get on with their everyday lives.

"Some children’s charities believe the Act will victimise innocent young people"
    Nonsense, I believe well behaved kids will be identifiable from the trouble makers.

"Equal rights groups point out that it will unfairly target ethnic minorities whose cultures involve such large group gatherings"

Rubbish, I can't think of any culture that involves large groups messing around on the streets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reloaded
    The idea's good, however it still won't solve the problem of the gangs that hang around street corners causing the biggest problems. They'll target the smaller gangs that they know will respond amd move, but the ones that cause the real trouble and problems around the streets, as always will be left well alone.

Have you not heard about the new types of police officer? The community support officer?
    We have virtually the same powers as regular officers but a slightly different uniform. But we don't do paperwork, instead we spend all our time on the streets stopping that sort of thing.
    We hit them where it hurts, their pockets. If that doesn't stop them, or they are too young we fine their parents instead. We can also recommend problem families for eviction e.t.c.
  • Options
    My only concern, as always, is with the fad of on-the-spot fines, which are something that I have grave concerns about. Because they are fixed by their very nature they discriminate against the very poor in society- £40 for one person is all the money that have to live on for a week, for another person it is mere pocket money. Justice should not work like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    We hit them where it hurts,
    on the nose hopefully ...sorry i wouldn't last 5minutes as a copper ...and kermits right about the fines being fixed but then fines have always been like that. some poor sod gets a hundred and fifty quid fine ...a whole weeks wages ...a footballer gets fined an hours pay if that for the same offence.
  • Options
    Carrying air guns in public "without lawful authority or excuse" has been criminalized so it is now an arrestable offence ;

Actually I have a funny story about this... but anyway, yeah I agree.
    On-the-spot fines for offences such as throwing fireworks and making hoax 999 calls have been extended from adults only to 16 and 17-year-olds;

Actually I'd go all the way as saying to ban fireworks apart from under license achieved only by a 21 year old. Bonfire night celebrates the burning of Catholics anyway... not nice.
    Newspapers and local councils can name youngsters punished with anti-social behaviour orders;

Ok, am I the only person who's thinking here that publishing the names of the youths isn't going to create labelling and a self-fulfilling prophecy?
    These street wardens can also fine people found drunk and disorderly in a public place £40 if aged 16 or over, and fine anyone caught buying alcohol for someone under 18 £40 (again if aged 16 or over);

Why do teenagers drink? Partly peer pressure but if a youngster or anybody has alcohol problems they're likely to be troubled at home. There is a lot of alcoholism and apparently kids being took off the streets druunk who're just 8 years old from Caia park, a council estate in Wrexham. If you're 16 you're too young to sign on the dole and £40 is two thirds of what you can get anyway.
    Some childrens charities believe the Act will victimise innocent young people;

I don't know how that works, but I'd say it'll victimise the working class more than anything. Fining people on the spot won't act as a deterrent in my opinion and it doesn't tackle poverty, something that I believe to be a source of blue collar crime like this is supposed to tackle.

Maybe it's there to line politicians pockets with gold. More fines means more money?
    Equal rights groups suggest that it will unfairly target ethnic minorities.

Maybe it will? Would hardly be surprising.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    My only concern, as always, is with the fad of on-the-spot fines, which are something that I have grave concerns about. Because they are fixed by their very nature they discriminate against the very poor in society- £40 for one person is all the money that have to live on for a week, for another person it is mere pocket money. Justice should not work like that.

This is the same sort of argument speeders use. "But it's not fair, blah de blah".
    If you don't break the law then you aren't fined. Yes, some people may find it is just pocket money, but the rich people tend to loathe parting with it even more than poor people do. I'm hoping it'll be the rich people who contest it in court, then we can fine them more.

It's intended to teach people a lesson, they will soon know that there will be PCSO's everywhere, and they are likely to spot you if you're doing something illegal. Yes, you may do it once, but if you knew that you WILL recieve a £50 fine for dropping a cigarette butt, or some litter, graffitti, will you do it?