Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police Community Support Officers

Have any of you heard about this new police role? If so, what do you think about it, do you approve of a new type of police officer, trained to deal with matters that people really care about, or would you prefer more regular officers?
I ask, because as you know I have just started as one, I'm still in training but the general level of feedback has been positive.
What the police found was that although people are concerned about things like gun crime, to be fair it doesn't affect many people.
At the end of the day people care more about the noise from next door, the litter, the grafitti e.t.c.
Do you agree?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think we all said yes last time you did this thread.
  • Options
    Yes and no. To be honest although I am concerned with litter, the noise from next door and graffitti, and I would ike something done about it, the number of times I read in the local paper that people have been stabbed/reaped/mugged on the city underpasses frightens me. I have the choice of under the underpass - risking the above - or across the dual carriageway, ending in squashed Maria.

I think Police Community Support Officers are a good idea though, I think it would mean that people receive help for their problems by someone trained and expecting to deal with them, rather than someone who thinks that next doors brats spraying graffitti on the car is a waste of their time and they should be out solving "real crime." (Spoken from experience there-happened to my Grandad.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i think we all said yes last time you did this thread.

lol, sorry I can't remember wether I did or not.

I was just asking because yesterday we had a meeting with some of the local black community who think it's all a big waste of time.
  • Options
    In N.Ireland we've had these for a year or so now and I think they're a good idea they tend to be more friendly and open than regular police and I now feel safer walking around alone when I didn't before.

I've also found spides/townies/whatever way less likely to try anything with you, as chances are a couple of community police are ambling round the corner.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    lol, sorry I can't remember wether I did or not.

well you better start remembering ...your a copper now!
    great idea in my book mate. old ladies and such actualy feel safer going shopping now round here and i live in hicksville.
  • Options
    What do your duties revolve around Whowhere? Do you spend most of the time on the streets? Can you give fines or arrest people? I presume you spend most time liasing with the local community?
  • Options
    Hmm, powers let's see.
    We've been given a rough guide about what we'll be able to do.
    We'll be able to fine people for breaching anti-social laws, litter, smoking, drinking, tee-peeing people's houses that sort of thing. Sort out truancy and grafitti problems, giving fines to the parents of children.

It isn't all about fines though, we'll be able to detain petty criminals (and serious ones) if we have justification, we'll have handcuffs and stab vest, but no baton or CS gas, although we may get them in the future.
    We won't be able to stop and search, but we will be able to assist in the searching of houses and vehicles, and we'll have the same powers as a regular police officer during terrorist attacks e.t.c.

Our main mandate though is to be a visible police presense on the streets, we can't arrest like a regular officer can, but that's good because we won't EVER have to do paperwork :)
    We also have special training for dealing with ethnic minorities, children and communities as a whole.
    And we get a cool radio which doubles up as a mobile phone :D
  • Options
    Nice1 whowhere, keep up the good work!
  • Options
    Hmm, powers let's see.
    We'll be able to fine people
    WHAH!! well i'll refuse to fucking pay you ...i'm always not guilty.
    that bit doesn't sit well with me at all.
  • Options
    lol, i dont enforce the fine, i just hand it out. If you want to appeal it you do that in court.
    to avoid them you you just need to make sure you don't do anything like not pay your road tax whilst i'm around.
  • Options
    lol, i dont enforce the fine, i just hand it out. If you want to appeal it you do that in court.
    to avoid them you you just need to make sure you don't do anything like not pay your road tax whilst i'm around.
    i tell you what who ...if you were tobe moved around the country as well ...to whatever kind of areas were in the jar ...draw a straw. you would be recieving a unique education.
    ...an insight into humanity in all its social forms and dilemas.