Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

starting to revise?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
for the GCSE people, when are you starting to revise? I've got my mocks in Feb and I still haven't started revising for those, so I'd like to know I'm not the only one who's unmotivated and lazy :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Starting to revise? I reckon about 1/2 a week per subject from the date of your first exam, so you got plenty of time yet.
    Really depends how good you are with learning stuff. It's never about how long you revise for, but about how much you learn. If you can do it all in a week then don't suffer and revise wen you could be havin fun............ Just make sure you actually do some work!

Bopz
    I've got my uni exams next week, and I've got as far as getting my folders on to the table next to my desk.

Tomorrow, I hope to open said folders.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    I've got my uni exams next week, and I've got as far as getting my folders on to the table next to my desk.

I have my exams next week too (as you well know) but noone seems to have revised. I don't even think it's the "I say I haven't done revision when really I have" bug, people here seem to be genuinely too lazy to revise...I wonder how most of them passed their A-levels. :confused:

I have a good excuse, I'm ill. :(
    Originally posted by .NK
    I have my exams next week too (as you well know) but noone seems to have revised. I don't even think it's the "I say I haven't done revision when really I have" bug, people here seem to be genuinely too lazy to revise...I wonder how most of them passed their A-levels. :confused:
    I think round these parts its the "its only first year" bug.
    But i have exams everyday next week so its gkicked my ass into gear to get revising. today.

But yeah, a few days per subject or you'll end up missing out on the fun, and start hating your subjects so much that you wont be able to open your folders when you actually *need* to (ie, the morning of the exam, not that im teaching bad habits or anything...)
    I have a 2 hour calculus exam 2morrow! I'm going to die. Is it even possible to write an exam that long on calculus without falling into a stupor and oging brain dead? Damn uni, i wanna be an English student and do no work............ :p

Bopz

P.S. Sorry to all the English students out there, you were the forst people I could think of.
    Originally posted by Turtle

I like your thinking :)

I have an Italian exam on Weds and I can't even find the textbook I need for it...
    Well, my finals start on 12th april, and I'm starting to study tonight! Gonna get all organised and study every day until they're finished. It's only 4 months, and if I get a good mark it'll be worth the fact that I'll be bald, fat and friendless... :D
    mocks aren't all that important, so don't get all stressed over nothing. however you want to show yourself that you can do alright, and if you do poorly, then you'll either think oooh, perhaps i ought to work harder for the final exams or you'll think..dagnammit, i can't do it. then you won't do it. if that makes sense :chin:
    Yep... my first exam is tomorrow and my first day of revision is today! God, my new years resolutions are going down the pan already!

To be fair two of my modules i've already got quite a few marks in terms of coursework, and the other one is basically an A-Level paper. And very rarely do i get under 40% in an exam (don't mention AS economics! *cough* 16% *cough*). So I'm not too worried. Touch wood. (One of my papers is 400 true/false questions anyway!)
    I got my first one out of the way. Not too bad, though we were expected to know exactly what elements were in 44 different minerals, and theyre all just minor tweaks to MgFeAlSiO so its a bit confusing... and there were some very dodgy pictures of what was basically a black lump with the question "What is this mineral"... hmmm... but fingers crossed.

Now starting for tomorrows exam. But its only physics, so who cares, right? :nervous:
    Originally posted by faerielights
    I got my first one out of the way. Not too bad, though we were expected to know exactly what elements were in 44 different minerals, and theyre all just minor tweaks to MgFeAlSiO so its a bit confusing... and there were some very dodgy pictures of what was basically a black lump with the question "What is this mineral"... hmmm... but fingers crossed.

LMAO! I really wished i could have done that module, but then again learning the elements wouldn't have been that great for me.

What did you put for the black lump? Tourmaline? Epidote? Hematite?
    ive had my first mock today (gcse) didnt go to bad, it was maths if u wanna no lol

got my chem 2moro and physics day after (i do triple science) so im only in half days for these first few days. I started to revise a couple of weeks ago, but only properly revised, erm.......last nite!
    Re: starting to revise?
    Originally posted by hybrid
    for the GCSE people, when are you starting to revise? I've got my mocks in Feb and I still haven't started revising for those, so I'd like to know I'm not the only one who's unmotivated and lazy :p

i was ment to have my mocks before xmas but i was off so i been doing some thing week or last week,

well i don't revise much and i been doing well in exams just revise when you feel you need to.

the mocks are important but arnt as bad as your finals. make sure you revice several months in advance and don't waste all the study leave you get :p
    Re: Re: starting to revise?
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    well i don't revise much and i been doing well in exams just revise when you feel you need to.

make sure you revice several months in advance and don't waste all the study leave you get :p

hmm?

don't just revise when you feel you need to, it might just be over confidence
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i just finnished 2 out of 6 exams! You need to find your own time fram for revising and it will also vary from subject to subject, your mochs may be the perfect time to discover this.........

Bopz

Reall happy cos analysis 1 went reeeeeeaaalllllllll good
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i just finnished 2 out of 6 exams! You need to find your own time fram for revising and it will also vary from subject to subject, your mochs may be the perfect time to discover this.........

Bopz

Reall happy cos analysis 1 went reeeeeeaaalllllllll good

Well done. sounds like you did well.
    My week of hell is over and i didnt jump from the top of the tallest building i could find ;) 5/6s of the way through, with a whole 4 days between me and my last exam!

I agree with bopperz thinking about it, everyone is different- some people can just look at a page of notes and then know it, where as others may take hours to learn that much. It also varies with subject.

I'd say when it was suggested to revise when you though you needed to, make that revise what you think you need to *more* but dont just leave the rest. Everyone has a general idea what aspects they're weakest at, but that doesnt mean that you wont gain anything by going through the rest aswell.