Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How NOT to write an essay!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
1. Beginning of November: given a 1000wd assignment, with deadline of 11th December.

2. Weekend before 11th December: think 'I'm going to do that now' Sadly all manner of things take priority - Christmas shopping, tidying room, happy hour, etc...

3. 10th December: Still nothing done. Know that I've got an engagement in the evening, so decide to do it in afternoon. Once again, better things to do.

4. Evening of 10th December - A bit too inebriated after Christmas party so decide to go to bed rather than do essay.

5. Morning of 11th December - Really can't be arsed. Decide to lose 5% of the mark and hand it in on the 12th instead. Plan to do it in the evening, after a quick drink at the bar.

6. Evening of 11th December. Down at bar; get persuaded to go out. Agree, as long as they make sure I don't drink anything.

7. Early hours of 12th December - Get back at 3am, tanked up on vods and red bull, ready to do essay. Then invited to all-nighter back at other halls. Beer negates effect of vod and red bull.

8. 6am 12th December - Phone alarm i set to wake me up goes off. Decided to go back and start writing essay.

9. 7am - Now feel really tired. Set alarm for 10 and go to bed.

10. 10-12am - Write the essay. Finito. Wahey! Now to go and hand it in... (missed two lectures in the process).

So there you have it... why you should always do the work in advance!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    So thats why you wanted the fossils handout!
    All come clear...
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    So thats why you wanted the fossils handout!
    All come clear...

Yep! (btw, God i wanted to fall asleep in that practical this afternoon... that GRAPH!)
  • Options
    You only lose 5% if you hand it in late? hats not fair, if we hand ours in late we can only get 40% even if its the best essay in the world! So not fair :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Welshbabe*
    You only lose 5% if you hand it in late? hats not fair, if we hand ours in late we can only get 40% even if its the best essay in the world! So not fair :(

Sim,ple solutuion: do geography.
  • Options
    At least it got done in the end & that's the main thing. All be it a bit late;)

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Sim,ple solutuion: do geography.

Or even better - do a subject where you don't do essays at all like mine! (optometry)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Astral Willow
    (optometry)

Er... which is :confused:
  • Options
    Ahhh fucking hell!! This thread just reminded me I have to do a Politics essay and I don't even know the bloody title!! :mad: :impissed: :banghead:
  • Options
    Er... which is :confused:
    Eyes and stuff?
    A few of my friends are doing it.
  • Options
    Eyes and stuff?
    A few of my friends are doing it.

Yup, thas right. 1 semester down and no more than lecture notes have been done.

Lot of exams tho..I've already done 5 and I've got 2 when I go back..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Astral Willow
    Yup, thas right. 1 semester down and no more than lecture notes have been done.

Lot of exams tho..I've already done 5 and I've got 2 when I go back..

:hyper: I got something right!

But yeah, 6 exams, 5 of which in the first week back then one the wednesday after. Joy. :nervous:

I feel with you.
  • Options
    :hyper: I got something right!

But yeah, 6 exams, 5 of which in the first week back then one the wednesday after. Joy. :nervous:

I feel with you.

Where the hell do you get six exams from? I only have three, and one of them is my extra geology one! (the fossils). How many modules did you do in the first semester? :eek:
  • Options
    Where the hell do you get six exams from? I only have three, and one of them is my extra geology one! (the fossils). How many modules did you do in the first semester? :eek:

Erm. 7 I think. 4 full ones and 3 half credits. that makes.... 80 odd credits worth? Think thats right.
  • Options
    I've written 99% of my papers that way... and ya know what, the ones I do write like that always get better scores then the ones I attemt to think about ;) True story :p
  • Options
    C'mon? 1000 words and it took all of that to do it? It took 2 hours to do, surely you could've found 2 hours to do it before the 11th?
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    C'mon? 1000 words and it took all of that to do it? It took 2 hours to do, surely you could've found 2 hours to do it before the 11th?

Yeah, but it just didn't happen! :p
  • Options
    I know where you're coming from, and I start essays the day before they're due, but if it was due in, I wouldn't even made my social life my priority, esp. if it was late.