Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

youll all know the answer..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
.. and im sure id know the answer too if id stayed on at Grammar school they aimed us all towards uni, but im at college and they dont expect anybody to go to uni so the support and advice there is pretty crap.

Well, im trying to decide what to study at uni. I want to go into one of two/three courses (depending on the uni i go to)

how does it work? When you apply do you state the course u want to do? Do you put a second choice? One course i need 280 UCAS points for, but if i get 340 i think it was UCAS points id like to do a different one.

Can you apply for two courses or one? Like if i put the 340 UCAS points course but only get 280 am i buggered? Or can i change course i apply for?

How deos the system work? Is there one form for all unis? Because the course really does depend on what uni im at.. im very confused, and cant get appointment for the careers counsellor for ages its all booked up"
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you in your first or second year at college? If you're in your second year, then you should have really already applied to ucas, as the uni's will be deciding who they want.

Anyway, this is how the system works.

You get given one application form to fill in, either by hand, or you can apply through the ucas website. On that form you have to put down the university and course you want to do, and you can have upto 6 (i think) different options. So it doesn't matter that you're not sure which course you want to do at the moment. Once you've completed the form, you send it to ucas, (usually your college/school will do this) and they send a copy to all the uni's you've applied for.

The uni's will all then look and decide whether they reject you, give you a conditional offer or an unconditional offer. If you get a conditional offer, then they will accept you providing you get enough points. If they give you a unconditional offer, they will accept you, whatever grades you get.

Once you have got all your offers, which will be sent to you via ucas, you then decide on a first choice and an insurance place. The first choice is where you prefer to go, and the insurance place, is basically your second choice.

If your first place is a unconditional, then you're off there, if it's a conditonal and you meet the points you are also off there. However, if its a conditonal offer and you don't get the points, but get the points for your insurance place, then you go to your insurance uni. If you dont meet the grades for either, then you can go through clearing, to find another course and uni, but thats not until you get your grades.

Hope that helps, sorry it's a bit long. I'm sure if you ask for some help at college, there will be someone that will talk you through it.
    Wow... thank you!

I should really be in university by now, but due to me fucking around and wasting time im only in my AS year.

Only just decided uni is where i want to be, so trying to get my head round it all.

thanks.
    damn that was explained sooooo much beta then me.
    Yere the UCAS system is really cool, it lets you apply to 6 differant things. You can apply for 6 differant cources if you want or you can even apply for 6 cources at the same uni! Also it cuts down on the paper work. But i got mail from all the universitys everyday for about 4 months! Got a tad annoying

Bopz
    Originally posted by pussy_palace

hehe aww hun you tried... putting the two together i understand purrfectly :D

bopperz.. i think the UCAS system is really restrictive its made me :( poor me!
    Originally posted by pussy_palace

It did take me quite a while to get it to sound like that...it's not the easiest thing to explain.

Glad you understand lil_minx.
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    It did take me quite a while to get it to sound like that...it's not the easiest thing to explain.

Glad you understand lil_minx.

and i thank you muchness for it :)

and i thank you too tash!!!
    i think the UCAS system is really restrictive its made me poor me!

Why's that?

Bopz