Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Uni the most un-healthy thing you've ever done?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Since starting uni, i have really noticed my health declining, its little things like not being able to see things in the distance and having bloodshot eyes 24/7. It's getting really bad as after 11 weeks I really do feel like hell and cant concentratre for more than about 15 seconds!
Anyone else managing to live normally?

Bopz :crazyeyes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Oddly when I go home people i know say i look a lot more well than i used to!

Maybe its cos my developing beer belly is filling me out a bit...
  • Options
    I'm keeping quite fit cos I do a lot of walking. I think I eat pretty healthy meals but I do snack on so much crap and of course there's all the alcohol and the lack of sleep.

You need to find a balance.
  • Options
    Lack of sleep.
    Endless, heavy drinking.
    Too many smokey clubs and loud music.
    Not enough healthy food, chips with everything at lunch, vegetable are inedible and therefore uneaten.
    Pizzas three times a week, plus kebab when you go out.

Yet somehow, I've lost a little bit of weight (I think). I've got more spots than I normally do, and my skin's a lot drier, but I wouldn't say it's the unhealthiest I've ever been.
  • Options
    Im healthier than ever before :)
  • Options
    It is bad for sleeping patterns because you don't get a proper routine!

Plus I'm too tired to cook nice meals all the time, tend to buy chips quite a lot. But I suppose I would be tired if I was working all day too.
  • Options
    Proabably one of. Im on a new bout of "freshers flu" after being healthy for a few weeks. Well, i have a cold anyway.

Other than that, its random sleep patterns, if any, lots of alcohol, smokey pubs etc etc

My diet has improved though i think. I try and go for the healthy option where possible, with lots more fruit than i used to have at home.
  • Options
    Originally posted by faerielights
    Proabably one of. Im on a new bout of "freshers flu" after being healthy for a few weeks. Well, i have a cold anyway.

Freshers flu is an absolute bitch. You get it for six weeks, then you're healthy for two, then you get a winter cold.

Eeeeevil shit.
  • Options
    I know! Its soooo not fair.

I was planning on dealing with this in the good old fashioned way of getting a few early nights, but thats failed.
    It may still be relatively early (ie some places are still serving) but still later than i'd planned in order to get a decent nights sleep!
  • Options
    #i think the worst thing for me has been the food,so over christmas I will not be eating chips with every meal.. maybe that will make me feel better.

Bopz
  • Options
    I bike 12 miles each day :crazyeyes , but I eat too much chocolate, so it's an overall slight gain at the moment!
  • Options
    Re: Is Uni the most un-healthy thing you've ever done?
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Since starting uni, i have really noticed my health declining, its little things like not being able to see things in the distance and having bloodshot eyes 24/7. It's getting really bad as after 11 weeks I really do feel like hell and cant concentratre for more than about 15 seconds!
    Anyone else managing to live normally?

try 4 years of it, it really has got to the stage where im getting too old for this shit, trying to do the things we did as freshers is so much harder now and you pay for it a lot more the next day, these 3 weeks off at christmas will be bliss.
  • Options
    Wow, its the last day of term and we have had shit loads of donations of nice food including icecream! Munch munch!

Bopz
  • Options
    I was super fit when I was at Uni, I was down the gym at least three times a week and running three or four times a week.

However I did develop a bit of an amphetamine habit, so that wasnt that healthy.
  • Options
    I'm healthier than at home...can't afford to snack any more. Shame about lack of sleep mind you. Ah well can't have everything.
  • Options
    Hmm... Well. In MY opinion i'm healthier since i got to uni. I'm eating less, and i've stopped snacking. This has meant that my weight has dropped quite dramatically.

On the other hand... My eating has got to the point of worrying my housemates, my ex noticed how gaunt my face was looking when i saw him last night, i'm smoking 20+ a day and i'm not sleeping.

So uni is probably actually really bad for me. My concentration is shot to shit as well.
  • Options
    yeh i come back for xmas and i realised how much healithier i eat at uni, i eat 5 fruit/veg a day coz it cheaper than chocolate and very sweet and nice :D
    i eat a lot of meat however but overall i have less added salt cause i make fresh food and eat lots o pasta(who doesnt)

the only thing thats lacking is fibre as i started to notice so ive moved onto bacon sandwiches as well, but i have got slimmer, and apparantly taller, if i started going gym, id probably get bigger with the amount of protein i eat
    and i drink lots of fruit juice and water (and a healthy amount of alcohol :P only downside)

coming home i snack nd live off ready cooked food :S
  • Options
    At uni we seem to eat more unproccessed (sp) food which is better, but we eat chips alot! I came home and some1 said i had losted weight, and i have i think..... but i deff started gettin a beer belly! :crazyeyes

Bopz
  • Options
    well I'm walking a hell of a lot more....so in theory I should b a bit healthier......but then I also started smoking :( , drinking a lot more, and I hardly get any sleep, whether I go out or stay in........add to that the crapness of uni, so yup, uni is def the most unhealthy thing I've ever done...........and I'm only first year. I'll b lucky if I make it to the final year :eek2:
  • Options
    Wow, this topic has re-appeared! koolness

The Christmas break has been good to me and I now feel sort of healther, quite confusing as most people get unhealther at christmas. Not sure if i can take anouther 11 weeks of hell, but what else is there to do?

Bopz

P.S. I also think that I will die aged 25 due to my uni lifestlye.......
  • Options
    more chance of me dieing of poisoning from the amount of mess ups i make in the lab with toxic/carcinogenic/mutagenic chemicals
  • Options
    Originally posted by LonDoNErcHriS85
    more chance of me dieing of poisoning from the amount of mess ups i make in the lab with toxic/carcinogenic/mutagenic chemicals

yep the same for me, for some reason i only tend to read the safety audit when im half way through the expt. having handled at least one or two nasties
  • Options
    hey bopperz....must b something in the water at cardiff or wateva, :crazyeyes lol, cos I go there too and I totally know how u feel bout facing another 11 weeks of uni! Urgh, I guess it'll probably get better soon tho. I even bought myself a cookery book yesterday, so hopefully I'll b able to attempt to eat something other than chips!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    The water tastes like it's from the River Taff! Taken me ages to get used to it....... City water suxz..... :eek:

Bopz