Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is Cannabis safe?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There has been much debate over the safety of cannabis use, especially in teen user and today there was an article about it in the times, wouldn't you know just a few weeks before cannabis is to become class c, Jan 29th.

Here's the link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-953662,00.html

So what does anybody think about it? It would be interesting to hear anything from long term smokers.

Personally i don't think cannabis is having any real mental effect on me unless after a heavy smoking session i tend just to feel abit spaced out, nothing else, but i don't really know the effects this will have on my future life, for all we cannabis smokers know our brains could be fucked in 20 years.

Here is a piece from the article
For Steve it was a frightening repeat of an episode a few days earlier when, with no papers to roll a joint, he ate a chunk of cannabis resin and collapsed in a nightclub toilet. “When I woke up I heard someone saying: ‘It’s OK Steve, you can get up now, you’re all right’,” he recalls. “When I looked around, there was no one there.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, its not 'safe' there is virtualy nothing you can do that is safe.

It is relatively safe, but thats different from being safe. For most its not a big deal, although the smoking cant be good for you. But for some it can be addictive and can highten mental health issues.
    no, its not safe at all.

think of the harm it does to your lungs.

Talking of harm to lungs, blue rizzla are better for you than silvers. Just a point.
    nothing about living on this planet can be 100% safe.
    funny thing is ...the biggest health issue facing your generation is junk food. your likely to live ten years less than me ...according to current research. your generation and the one coming up behind you are fed so much fat and salt etc ...get hardly any exc=ercise etc. fizzy drinks etcbinge drinkling of alcohol is also a serious problem.
    all i can say is i've smoked for going on 36 years now ...there are plenty of 65 yr olds who have smoked for 50yrs. every proffesion in the land has long term dope smokers in their ranks.
    the reality is ...the nhs is not swamped with insane dope smokers or dieing of dreadful illnesess dthrough dope ...the mental institutions aren't bursting at the seems with people from my generation who have been smoking a long l,ong time.
    Nah, not safe- a good mate of my stopped smoking hash completely and landed himself with 8 mental disorders and syndromes...then again when he DID smoke the ganj he'd be continuously stoned off his rocker which he kept up for about a year or 2, but still:eek2:
    I am in full aggrement that cannabis isn't harmful as such, just toking away..for years people do and they'r fine, some have problems with it, some don't.

The amount of people that smoke dope and the amount that are in hospitals because of cannabis, there's a big difference, the amount in the hospitals are in the minority.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I am in full aggrement that cannabis isn't harmful as such, just toking away..for years people do and they'r fine, some have problems with it, some don't.

The way i see it, and i dont know how to explain it well, is that cannabis isnt safe, yet the risks to mental health and physical health depends entirely on the smoker. I think mentally, there must be the potential to be unstable, for mental problems to take effect.

I dont see cannabis as a very risky drug to take, as drugs go i think its one with the least worrying side effects. However, smoking, whatever you smoke is a terrible thing to do to your body, and that makes me think that its very unsafe, or at least as unsafe as tobacco.
    There was an artical (sp) in the Daily Mail today saying that 80% of people with "serious" mental problems have smoked pot. Was a really weird report though, realy vague.
    Also you can create links between lots of weird things:
    More people die of heart attacks if they live at a house with an odd number............

Bopz
    This also partly relates the whole chicken and egg/ masking problem of dual diagnosis that I'm often harping on about ... more info:

TheSite article

Drugscope

links page for most useful dual diagnosis websites

Susie :)
    How many users of alcohol go onto develop mental health issues?
    Originally posted by Indee Kisses
    Nah, not safe- a good mate of my stopped smoking hash completely and landed himself with 8 mental disorders and syndromes...then again when he DID smoke the ganj he'd be continuously stoned off his rocker which he kept up for about a year or 2, but still:eek2:

That's so weird, 'cos when I stopped smoking hash I got chronic schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, delusional disorder, acute stress and to top it off nicely a nice case of male erection disorder/premature ejaculation disorder.

:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    There was an artical (sp) in the Daily Mail today saying that 80% of people with "serious" mental problems have smoked pot. Was a really weird report though, realy vague.
    Also you can create links between lots of weird things:
    More people die of heart attacks if they live at a house with an odd number............

Bopz
    please ...the daily mail is very right wing and totaly against you smoking weed. very biased and hate filled rag.
    so bad that even on the occasions they are truthful no one believes them cos of all the other bullshit they spout.
    Sssssssssooooooooooorrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy. I was just telling people about it. If I reported stuff from the guardian would that be better?

Bopz

Im drunk, and havin a fun day i like beer
    If you smoke it with tobacco it's really unsafe. Aside from that it alters your way of thinking sometimes which can be good or bad depending on the state of your mind to begin with.