Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stop Fees Now!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hiya everyone!

Don't know whether this is more suited to the politics forum - feel free to move it.

Stop Fees Now!

Stop the government from cutting down grants, and topping up fees. The average degree now costs £20,000. With the new legislation, student debt at graduation may raise to as much as £33,708 by 2010.

Follow this link to the NUS website for details of a demonstration on Sunday and a very quick e-mail-your-MP thingy!

Cheers guys.

Picc.
xxx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    But surely top up fees are on top of living expenses??

And yup, Im off to London on the morrow :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    Fees are indeed bad, however, most of the costs incurred are living expenses...and unless you stay at home and go to a local uni, they're unavoidable.
    True, and I believe the figures I quoted do account for inflation. But a 500% increase in fees is ridiculous!:mad: How can they justify it? Unfortunately I can't make it tomorrow:(, but I will be there in spirit.
  • Options
    The bes way forward is to seriously limit the number of students, say a minimum A-level entry of BBC, and then close the useless universitires which perform no function and concentrate the government's money on the universities that actually do something useful, unlike most of them that offer stupid courses like Film Studies.
  • Options
    Surely that would just cause more elitism than there is now...?
    And theres nothing wrong with film studies, its not a useless course, its helped one of my mates get a job in film production...

I think top up fees, and any fees are wrong for students. Though if u think about it, the people who left school at 16 and went and got jobs are actually subsidisng those who stayed on at school n went to uni. The people who left school have to start at the bottom n work their way up, and pay for those who stay on to get a degree then jump the rungs of the career ladder n get paid far larger salaries than the people who left who subsidised them in paying taxes. (if u can follow that, just read it back n to me it doesnt entirely make sense)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    Surely that would just cause more elitism than there is now...?
    And theres nothing wrong with film studies, its not a useless course, its helped one of my mates get a job in film production...

I think top up fees, and any fees are wrong for students. Though if u think about it, the people who left school at 16 and went and got jobs are actually subsidisng those who stayed on at school n went to uni. The people who left school have to start at the bottom n work their way up, and pay for those who stay on to get a degree then jump the rungs of the career ladder n get paid far larger salaries than the people who left who subsidised them in paying taxes. (if u can follow that, just read it back n to me it doesnt entirely make sense)
    stupid fucking bitch
  • Options
    Originally posted by Drol Edyortnuh
    stupid fucking bitch

Woah!! calm it down mate...
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    Woah!! calm it down mate...

Don't worry, I've reported this tit.
  • Options
    Don't worry, I've reported this tit.

EH?! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Calm down Drol, treat the other users with respect please.

Susie :eek:
  • Options
    stupid fucking bitch

Erm, what the hell did i do to get this reaction? I only put my opinion across, which im as entitled to do as you or anyone else is.

:(
  • Options
    Erm, what the hell did i do to get this reaction? I only put my opinion across, which im as entitled to do as you or anyone else is.

Don't worry about it - for some reason this person has been coming on, making stupid statements, and then buggering off-line again. Probably because he wants a reaction or something!

Life is far too short to worry about it!
  • Options

he was acting like a ****, just ignore him:)
  • Options
    Ok, I wrote a big, long reply and the board lost it. Excellent. It begins. Again.

The foul mouthed one has degraded board opinion of him as an individual and removed any weight from his opinions but I think in his first post he had a point.

Worryingly it's much like the Tory perspective.

There are too many people going to university, it's unnecessarily expensive and requires funding. Students, like myself, have to pay tuition fees to the university and the less well off have to accumulate debt, in the form of a student loan, to pay for their books, food, rent and other essentials.

The universities are appealling to the government for additional funding to be made available by increasing the amount they can request in tuition fees. Not only will this create a grading of university course cost and accessability, eventually leading to pricing wars between universities and the resultant underfunding of some of the cheaper courses, but the use of the tuition fee money has not been specified and is not guaranteed to improve the facilities or lecturing for the undergraduates. Universities spend much more on their inflated research grants than on undergraduate teaching, research that is inefficient and poorly budgetted, but which benefits society as a whole and should, if necessary be funded through general taxation.

These days to compete in almost any field of employment you need a degree, but this wasn't always the case. Jobs today competed for by graduates were once filled, just as successfully by A-level students and school leavers. There's no change in the work, it's become no more difficult and there's no significant increase in the wages offered, above the rate of inflation. If fewer people went to university and hence fewer people had degrees the very same calibre of people, if not the very same individuals would be doing the same job, just as well and without having to waste 3 years or more of their lives and amass many thousands of pounds worth of debt in the process.

The government should be reducing the numbers of students going to university to the point where they can be state supported through the use of grants, allowing only those courses of academic, social or economic merit to survive, that will train the students to do a job better, or improve their skills to survive in the workplace and not bloat university entry figures with vote winning 'feel good about yourself' filler. To get a degree should be an elite achievement, only the best need apply and the competition for places should be fierce. Entry to each university should be assessed only on results, personal interests, hobbies and interview. This would require a new A-level system, much more discriminating between ability levels with a respected grading system suitably reflecting achievement. It's the politically correct view to believe everyone can achieve all they want to but it's a flawed arguement, some people are brighter than others, or more motivated and will be better suited to the academic pusuits. The phasing out of technical colleges and profession specific training schemes has left this country with a defecit of skilled labourers and professionals.

The government is wrongly pursuing the opinion that more people should go to university and that it is in some way creating opportunity and equality. Could we not aim for simply ' A more proportionate cross section of society'? We're paying for it and the longer they persist the more costly it is to each individual.

Say no to fees, the benefits of a university education should allow you to think for yourself, don't just trust me, I may become a politician!

Oh, and to suggest that those who leave education to get a job subsidise the students is misguided. Not only do the students accumulate debt themselves but they'll pay higher levels of income tax on their future earnings which they're in no way guaranteed.