Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An equal opportunities question

Religion:

After my many months of job hunting, I finally landed with a 6-month probationary contract with a computing firm. Having suceeded the probation, I am now taken on as permanent. However, I need to sign my "Employee Handbook" which states the terms and conditions of my workplace.

The whole organisation is Christian, except for me! This is like 25 of them, and only one of me. I told the managing director that I wasn't a Christian. At the job interview, he based his verdict solely on my technical knowledge.

So, could someone here decipher this following paragraph which I have typed up from the huge 36 page paper-based document? Is it actually a requirement to be a Christian to work? Can I get the sack for not believing in God and Christ?
ECS Ltd will seek to employ staff representing all sections of the community it seeks to serve, provided individuals are able to carry out their work in a manner which promotes and authenticates the values of the Christian faith. Further, for those staff whose current or future positions of responsibility are / will be central to the fulfilment of the company's Mission Statement, a clear commitment to the Christian faith is required.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I asked a equal opps expert I know and he said this:

Yes, that is in very clear breach of the law. A computing firm has no
    business discriminating against potential management candidates on the
    basis of faith. New legislation this month in fact:

Definitions used in the Regulations

Direct Discrimination

1. 'A person ('A') discriminates against another person ('B') if-

(a) on grounds of religion or belief, A treats B less favourably than he
    treats or would treat other persons; or

(b) A applies to B a provision, criterion or practice which he applies
    or would apply equally to persons not of the same religion or belief as
    B, but-

(i) which puts or would put persons of the same religion or belief as B
    at a particular disadvantage when compared with other persons,

(ii) which puts B at that disadvantage, and

(iii) which A cannot show to be a proportionate means of achieving a
    legitimate aim.

There's lots more at http://www.ecu.ac.uk/religion/

Hope that helps

(oh and thanks Mr. Jefferson ;) )

Susie :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Very possibly their statement is a breach of the law...that is unless it is a stated Christian organisation. I think now a law has been passed that certain organisations can discriminate on a religious basis - this is true of those working in church related jobs for certain. However this firm has offered you the job on the grounds of your technical knowledge, they were impressed with you and are unlikely to sack you without a very good reason. Very few people Christian or not would sack someone purely for being Christian.
    The Silly String