Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coming off the Pill / Losing weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know putting on weight when you start taking the Pill happens, but what about losing weight when you stop taking it?

I started taking the Pill about three years ago and stopped taking it about two months ago (was getting really bad migranes, which have completely stopped now, thankfully!). I've always been slim - 5ft 8 and a size 8 - and I noticed I put on a bit of weight when I started taking the Pill, which didn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't make a thing of weighing myself regularly (usually every 2-3 months, just out of curiousity) but I weighed myself about 6 weeks ago and found I was 8st 3lb - I was over 8 and a half stone the time before that, so I was a bit surprised. I do no exercise whatsoever and eat anything I like without a second thought for my waistline so wasn't expecting to have lost weight. 5 or 6lbs might not seem like a lot but it's getting noticeable on me...

I weighed myself again on Xmas Eve with the intention of weighing myself again in two weeks to see if I put any weight on over Xmas (something everyone at work - tho mainly the ones on diets - is doing, just out of curiousity) and was shocked to find I'm down to roughly 7st 9lb (marking on the scales aren't that great).

Could this simply be down to coming off the Pill, or something more serious? Anyone else lost weight after coming off the Pill? Nothing else is going on in my life - I'm not stressed, worried or anything like that (in fact, everything is rather fab at the mo!), and like I said, I'm not doing any exercise or eating anything different.. :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    do you feel ok other than this weight loss?

it's pretty likely, if that's the only thing you've changed in the last few weeks, that it is down to the pill. but if your weight keeps falling, or you develop any other symptoms, go see a doctor.

when i came off, my body stayed the same, but my boobs went back to their pre-pill size, which lost me a couple of pounds.
    I came off the pill a few months ago and ive lost tonnes of weight since. at first I thought it was due to having an eating disorder, but i stopped doing anything eating-disorderly about a month ago and I still seem to be losing weight. I was actually thinking that it might be to do with coming off the pill because I am at my lowest adult weight which happens to coincide with the only time in the last ten years that I havent been on some sort of hormonal contraception (apart from when I was pregnant) Its certainly not outside of the realms of possibility that its got something to do with it.
    Thanks for your replies :)

Yeah, apart from the weight loss I feel fine - in fact, I feel a lot better than I have in ages due to the migranes and other side effects of the Pill stopping.

Only thing troubling me now is the fact that my clothes don't fit! :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    Only thing troubling me now is the fact that my clothes don't fit! :rolleyes:

buy a belt :p
    Re: Coming off the Pill / Losing weight
    Originally posted by Crystal Tipps
    I've always been slim - 5ft 8 and a size 8 -

but I weighed myself about 6 weeks ago and found I was 8st 3lb - I was over 8 and a half stone the time before that, so I was a bit surprised.

I'm 5ft 6 and i'm 65kg (10stone exactly) and i'm normal weight.

If you're a teenager you should still be growing and putting on weight.
    Re: Re: Coming off the Pill / Losing weight
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    I'm 5ft 6 and i'm 65kg (10stone exactly) and i'm normal weight.

If you're a teenager you should still be growing and putting on weight.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but I'm 20 in February and have been 5ft 8 for the last two years - and don't wanna get any taller! I've always been underweight (below the norm for my height) but my weight's always just gone slowly up as I've grown - I've never lost more than half a stone in 3-4 months before!