Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Throat Infection (Warn: Graphic description inside)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive had a really dry inflamed throat for a few days now, and it really hurts to talk and swallow, its not tonsilitous... But I just coughed and a MASSIVE gollop of phelgm, slightly blood stained, was resting right on my throat.

What can I do about it without going to the doctors, bearing in mind all I have access to is very dioluted TCP (which ive been gargelling), Beechams throat strepsils and soup.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, I was told by my dentist that they do clear up on their own, but its a slow process.

when I had a throat infect I just went to the docs and he gave me some antibiotics. Amoxicillin 500mg. You might as well just pop along.
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Well, I was told by my dentist that they do clear up on their own, but its a slow process.

when I had a throat infect I just went to the docs and he gave me some antibiotics. Amoxicillin 500mg. You might as well just pop along.

By the dentist?... I dont want to go to the doctors unless I really need to. Anti-biotics have certain side effects on me which are worse than the effects of a throat infection.

Thanks for your advice though. Urm... Major inflammation :impissed:
    Yeah by my dentist. I had to go for a filling a while ago and asked him for advice. (because its the mouth :/)
    i get sore throats a lot and ive gargled warm salt water (one of these old wives tales thingys that my mum made me do) but it does actually work, clears up all the skank in the throat and i can talk better after ive done it

also id see the doc if your coughing up blood, it can be a wide range of things so its best to find out

good luck :)
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    i get sore throats a lot and ive gargled warm salt water (one of these old wives tales thingys that my mum made me do) but it does actually work

:yes:

warm salty water works as a natural antiseptic. tastes ming, but is quite effective.

best thing to do is dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a big cup of boiled water (kills off water-borne germs), leave it to cool so it's quite warm, but not hot, and gargle away.
    I had this on Tue; inflamed throat, coughing up phlegm/blood, couldn't talk or eat much, and I was also working in a cold flower shop, which didn't help!
    The only thing you can do is carry on and wait for it to go on its own. If you like, salt-water or TCP gargles can help, although they taste horrible. Have lots of time in bed and Halls Soothers.
    I definitely wouldn't bother going to the doctor, as you'll get told what you already know, (that you have a sore throat) and I wouldn't take antibiotics if you can help it - I would think it lessens your body's ability to fight infection itself if you rely on medicine.