Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Freedom.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is freedom, people tell me that i have freedom, but do i really have freedom. does any of us have any freedom. If we have freedom why are we bound by laws and rules. That isnt freedom isnt it. were all stuck in a world where we can only do what is ALLOWED. that isnt freedom is it. this world is like a massive prison. we only have a certain amount of freedom. a bit but not full. we cant do what some of us wish, for example with drugs. your not allowed to do what you wish with it even though its your body, Thats not freedom of choice is it?

What is freedom to you. do you think we live in freedom.

what does the word mean to you.

to me, it means living the life we wish, living away we want to and do as we please. but many of us cant. were stuck and bound by law. our life isnt freedom..is it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We have more freedom than people who are captured from their homes and made to labour thousands of miles away, with no chance of improving their life.

So yeh, while life's not perfect, I'll settle :)
    Rules and restrictions help give you more freedom.

If there was no law, no police, no court system then certain groups of people would do what they want, when they want... do you think the streets would be safe to walk down when people know there are no rules to stop them mugging people, robbing banks, etc.

When George Bush came to London crime rates soared because criminals knew there was less police about cos they were protect George..
    I see your point. and im not saying it is wrong Diamond, but the thing is does that mean no matter what we will/cant ever have 100% freedom.

Do you feel you have freedom? i feel i have saome freedom but laws top alot. eg drugs. its your own body so why is it illegal?

there are many thing that wouldnt effect others only ourselfs but its yet still illegal. why do these certain people get to decide whats legal or not. who makes them supreme and let them choose.
    at the end of the day what would you do with it anyway.
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    Rules and restrictions help give you more freedom.

If there was no law, no police, no court system then certain groups of people would do what they want, when they want... do you think the streets would be safe to walk down when people know there are no rules to stop them mugging people, robbing banks, etc.

When George Bush came to London crime rates soared because criminals knew there was less police about cos they were protect George..

Bravo!

I also think that of course we have freedom, but because we abuse our freedom (nasty people hurting others, taking their ability to do things that perhaps morally they shouldnt) then a certain amount of it is restricted. Our freedom, isnt taken away by Government as such we can still do certain things we just get punnished if theyre bad.

Its our fault, by being such selfish people that such laws have to be put into place.

And, fair enough on the drugs thing ~ its our body, but if youre under the influence it may be that you cant control yourself and you put other people in danger. So its not only you that you hurt.

Laws are put there to protect people, you can live in a world without rules and laws and complete and utter chaos (i think it would be a terrifying place) or a world with laws & regulations to protect us from ourselves. Id much rather live in that world.
    I feel as free as i need to be.
    Without laws and restrictions the world would be pretty fucked up.
    *sniffs*

Smells like politics to me. :/
    Off topic
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    What is freedom, people tell me that i have freedom, but do i really have freedom. does any of us have any freedom. If we have freedom why are we bound by laws and rules. That isnt freedom isnt it. were all stuck in a world where we can only do what is ALLOWED. that isnt freedom is it. this world is like a massive prison. we only have a certain amount of freedom. a bit but not full. we cant do what some of us wish, for example with drugs. your not allowed to do what you wish with it even though its your body, Thats not freedom of choice is it?

What is freedom to you. do you think we live in freedom.

what does the word mean to you.

to me, it means living the life we wish, living away we want to and do as we please. but many of us cant. were stuck and bound by law. our life isnt freedom..is it?

This is gonna sound sarcastic but i notice you seem to be trying to write better (eg: capitals), and just wanted to say well done for trying. I don;t mean it bitchy, just something i noticed, maybe you arent trying but it seemed like it.

Ok i will shut up now.
    Originally posted by Mist
    *sniffs*

Smells like politics to me. :/

:D
    Have you watched the movie Lord of the Flies?

Worth watching if you haven't I think it will give you an insight into what happens when people have too much Freedom!!

And some laws are there to protect you from yourself... as a teenager many of the connections in your brain haven't connected up totally and are still growing and making new connections ... quite often when people grow of of something bad as a teenager it's said to be down to the fact their brain hasn't matured, whilst in the growing phase many pathways lead to a deadend and thus the teenager gets confused!! or will see the same thing from a very different perspective to an adult. It's no random act that teenagers often grow out of things, it's just their brains maturing.

There's no such thing as true freedom, I'd like to jump out of a window and soar like a bird but it's not going to happen!! :)
    Originally posted by Rude_boyz
    Do you feel you have freedom? i feel i have saome freedom but laws top alot. eg drugs. its your own body so why is it illegal?

Because of the negative externalities to both yourself and society. If they weren't illegal, they'd be very heavily taxed to try and compensate for these externalities.

And think about what you said, really. That's a very blunt black-and-white view. A world with no rules or regulations, are you mad? Do you seriously think it'd be a perfect little utopia? Not a fucking chance, this country needs laws as much as we need oxygen.

As far as freedom is concerned, you have freedom in the sense that day to day, you can do the activities you wish to do and go where you want to go. There's no-one there excluding you, maybe except for these laws but then they are very well justified.
    absolute freedom is an impossibility. an inteligent mind knows that we are bound by natural laws and our own limitations.
    go jump out of the window in defiance of the laws of gravity ...
    the freedom we do have comes with responsibility. would you go out on the roads if every driver could do what the hell he wanted? i don't thinks so.
    law ...seperates us from the other creatures in the jungle.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    absolute freedom is an impossibility. an inteligent mind knows that we are bound by natural laws and our own limitations.
    go jump out of the window in defiance of the laws of gravity ...
    the freedom we do have comes with responsibility. would you go out on the roads if every driver could do what the hell he wanted? i don't thinks so.
    law ...seperates us from the other creatures in the jungle.
    only in imaturity do people feel they have the right to do whatever they want ...'i'm 16 and i can do anything i want' ...is replaced with a more mature outlook eventualy.
    Re: Off topic
    Originally posted by Tweety
    This is gonna sound sarcastic but i notice you seem to be trying to write better (eg: capitals), and just wanted to say well done for trying. I don;t mean it bitchy, just something i noticed, maybe you arent trying but it seemed like it.

Ok i will shut up now.

thank you tweety, yes i am trying.

Look i never said what we have atm is wrong and if i put it across im sorry. but i was talking to someone and they said we have 100% freedom. but when i thought about it we don't. in some sence im glad were not 100% free as i would prob be DEAD.

i never said i can do what i want. i abide by the rules. never been in trouble by police (nothing major anyway)
    Freedom to me is more pshychological. Like freedom of speech and freedom to dress and practice religion how you want, as long as you don't hurt anyone. However, whatever the law says at the end of the day we don't have these freedoms anyway. Always some **** out there bashing people if they're in the minority.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    only in imaturity do people feel they have the right to do whatever they want ...'i'm 16 and i can do anything i want' ...is replaced with a more mature outlook eventualy.

You know what, i completly agree with that.

When i was 16 i refused to go to school, thought the world was a bitch because i should be allowed to do what i want without a government telling me otherwise, i really hated the world for not giving me my freedom.

A few years down the line i think i was being really immature.
    Originally posted by rockerchick
    I feel as free as i need to be.
    Without laws and restrictions the world would be pretty fucked up.

i agree :yes: with democratic laws and governments the world is a better place lol
    Freedom is Knowledge of one's necessity!!
    Laws can be used to oppress people sometimes in my opinion, but without laws we'd have less to bitch and whine about over a pint and nobody to rebel against... I'd get bored.