Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

England university thingies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So I really want to study in either a UK or US university.
I remember someone once posted this list with the best universities for a specific field.
Anyone would know the list for politics/economics/international relations studies?

Would appericiate it dearly :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The Times Newspaper publish a list of best uni's and they also break it down into differant study areas. Not sure about the US. If you want to apply this year then the UCAS deadline is close........

Bopz
  • Options
    No, only applying for 2005 :)

Where can I see the Times' list?
  • Options
    I found this a while ago. Don't know how accurate it is, but it gives an indication if nothing else.
  • Options
    Thanks Laura :)
  • Options
    If you want to study in the US be prepared for it to COST, uni is VERY expencive there. However there are a lot more scholarships etc that you can get.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If you want to study in the US be prepared for it to COST, uni is VERY expencive there. However there are a lot more scholarships etc that you can get.

I do know that. Though I hope my parents will keep their word of paying for everything school-related regardless of the cost.
    But yes, there are always scholarships...
  • Options
    You wouldn't have to pay extra fees in the UK, cos of Europe. Just same fees as home students, which currently is a maximum of £1250. Might be more when you go to uni though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    You wouldn't have to pay extra fees in the UK, cos of Europe. Just same fees as home students, which currently is a maximum of £1250. Might be more when you go to uni though.

So far it seems as if studying in England would be the better choice. Cost-wise, but also the fact that it's only a two hour flight away from home should anything happen.
  • Options

are you sure?

cause i used to study with a finnish girl, and she was paying about £3000 a year.

and i'm pretty sure the guy from guernsey on my course (who is classes as an international student) pays more than us too....

i might have got it wrong though.
  • Options
    European Union students don't have to pay extra fees. Non European Union students are classed as international students and have to pay huggge fees, I think about 8K for arts courses and 10k for sciences. Approximately.
  • Options
    European Union students don't have to pay extra fees. Non European Union students are classed as international students and have to pay huggge fees, I think about 8K for arts courses and 10k for sciences. Approximately.

£7995, exactly. I know, it's how much was sucked out of my bank account.

Although I find it odd that someone from Finland had to pay £3k, as I've got a Finnish friend who's paying the standard £1250. Guernsey must have its own rules - it's a British Isle, and so it can't be part of the EU, but its students are still regarded as foreigners. (Though you've got to ask, where are they supposed to go if not the UK?)

Incidentally, sciences courses are closer to about £14k, with medicine being the ultimate money-grubber, demanded a horrific £18k a year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    Although I find it odd that someone from Finland had to pay £3k, as I've got a Finnish friend who's paying the standard £1250.

this was in 2000, so things may have changed since then.

i just remembered her finding out we only paid £1000 a year and kicking off.
  • Options
    i think sheffield is good for politics (my politics teachers keep rambling on about it) and my brother's friend is studying politics there:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    i think sheffield is good for politics (my politics teachers keep rambling on about it) and my brother's friend is studying politics there:)

I've heard so too.
    Though from the research I've made, Warwick has a great programme, which combines politics, international studies and economics. I doubt I have the marks to get in, though.
  • Options
    Durham has a godd politics department, and its a beautiful city.

Thogh, of course, IM hideously biased as I study politics at, erm, Durham...