Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self Harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there's DJP's thread at the top but its pretty much dead as current stuff goes and theres kind of a different point to this anyway. I've been self-harming for two years, and felt down about this/before this whatever. I know i should go to the doctors as it isnt normal to feel like this and ive always blamed my phobia of doctors but i feel the heart of the problem is that i dont want to get put on anti depresants. i know i could go and they'll say all i need is counselling or something but a part of me says what if? i'm terrified of being "chemically" cheerful forever and i couldnt tell my parents if i did go on them yet surely they'd notice the awful side effects (but then they dont notive much) all i ever seem to read about ADs is negative so can anyone give me any positive experiences ? Help much appreciated

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    take a gander at politics and debate, theres a good thread goin on there about this

good luck
    xx
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    take a gander at politics and debate, theres a good thread goin on there about this

good luck
    xx
    thanks i'll go have a looksie:)
    Ads dont make you happy, ADs "turn off" the horrible sadness. They are very good as a stop-gap measure, which is all they are designed to be anyway. Its worth taking into account that most scare-stories about the leading SSRIs such as Fluoxetine are propagated by the Church of Scientology, who believe that depressed people deserve what they get because they "turned their back on God".

I went to the doctors about depression because I couldnt take it anymore, and Im getting a lot of help and its making me better. Its a very difficult step to make, but one that you wont regret, not in the long-term anyway. I see a therapist three times a week and it does me a lot of good- I havent cut for 18 months- so at least give it a try.

PM me if you want to:)
    Kirsty your PM box is full.

If you need to talk to someone then Kermit has said you can PM him, he does know where your coming from and might be able to offer you some help. (thats what I wanted to tell you in PM) :)