Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Proof of an afterlife?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In the Daily Mail (I know I know :p) today, there was an article announcing that scientists are going to prove or disprove the existence of life after death.

This has come about after centuries of people claiming to believe in the afterlife after near death experiences, whether they be in hospital or while lying in a car wreck.

Scientists are planning experiments in hospitals. They will leave hidden symbols (only viewable from above) in the rooms of comatose patients. The comatose person, after recovering, has to be able to describe these symbols to the scientists, and if a good amount of patients has been able to find these symbols, these scientists will agree that an afterlife exists.

They are not claiming that this will prove the existence of an eternal heaven or hell. They are simply setting out to prove or disprove that the conscience goes on after death.

What do you make of this? I think this is certainly interesting and I will definitely want to know the outcome, but I'm not sure if this is really a credible way of proving or disproving the existence of afterlife.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a so called out of body experience does nothing to prove an after life exists. some will jump on it as some kind of evidence of such instead of being objective and coming to conclusion that part of our 'self' part of who and what we are ...we don't yet fully understand.
    i had a very intense out of body experience under the influence of L.S.D many years a go. it wasn't pleasant hovering in a mirror image of myself on the bed and looking down at myself. the self on the bed was quite frightened but the self on the cieling saw nothing to be afraid of.
    it went nothing like proving that 'I' ...could be ... if the fleshy body had died there and then ...
    As long as they're not using our taxes to waste their time.
    Being in a coma aint nothing like being dead....But as the daily mail writes for people in comas I guess the article must be genuine!!!
    I read something like that in some magazine, 7 scientists were injected with a lethal dose of a controlled substance and 'died' and went to somewhere else for 5 minutes and after that they were brought back to life.

One of the scientist who was an athetist said she went to a dark place which must have been hell then she was brutally and sexually assualted many times by creatures and she said she seen satan over and over again, this woman when she was back on earth was being treated in a mental home.
    Three of the scientists coudln't remember anything.

The other's however described that when they died they felt in an eternal still of bliss, simply euphoric, everything was perfect, they said that when they died they knew they had returned to where they had come from, this was heaven.

The scientists aren't too sure of how to release the reports of this study because it violates state laws because they used a controlled substance to kill someone regardless that they were brought back to life, but they wanted people to know that there is something better when you die,at least for some.

So yes i will be interested to see the results of these new studys.
    Originally posted by Shogun
    I read something like that in some magazine, 7 scientists were injected with a lethal dose of a controlled substance and 'died' and went to somewhere else for 5 minutes and after that they were brought back to life.

One of the scientist who was an athetist said she went to a dark place which must have been hell then she was brutally and sexually assualted many times by creatures and she said she seen satan over and over again, this woman when she was back on earth was being treated in a mental home.

The other's however described that when they died they felt in an eternal still of bliss, simply euphoric, everything was perfect, they said that when they died they knew they had returned to where they had come from, this was heaven.

The scientists aren't too sure of how to release the reports of this study because it violates state laws because they used a controlled substance to kill someone regardless that they were brought back to life, but they wanted people to know that there is something better when you die,at least for some.

Heaven and hell I see as illogical and different people have certain reactions to drugs.
    Originally posted by byny
    Being in a coma aint nothing like being dead....But as the daily mail writes for people in comas I guess the article must be genuine!!!
    PMSL!

flatliners.jpg

:p
    One of the scientist who was an atheist said she went to a dark place which must have been hell then she was brutally and sexually assualted many times by creatures and she said she seen satan over and over again, this woman when she was back on earth was being treated in a mental home.

There is actually a scientific explanation for this- I'm not saying it is the categorical truth, but it is not impossible for the human brain to recollect images and create scenarios as the mind dies and the electrical signals within the brain's nervous network misfire. The 'light at the end of the tunnel' effect is probably just that.

As for the woman who claimed she went to hell, even if you are atheist it is impossible to escape the imagery and mythology of heaven and hell, demons and all of that. It probably amounted to a nightmare of sorts- one that was amplified by the 'death'.

Thats the plot of a film, "Flatliners" I think. I doubt it actually happened.

Note to self: read all the thread before replying. :o
    Re: Proof of an afterlife?
    Originally posted by HunnyPot
    In the Daily Mail (I know I know :p) today, there was an article announcing that scientists are going to prove or disprove the existence of life after death.

This has come about after centuries of people claiming to believe in the afterlife after near death experiences, whether they be in hospital or while lying in a car wreck.

Scientists are planning experiments in hospitals. They will leave hidden symbols (only viewable from above) in the rooms of comatose patients. The comatose person, after recovering, has to be able to describe these symbols to the scientists, and if a good amount of patients has been able to find these symbols, these scientists will agree that an afterlife exists.

They are not claiming that this will prove the existence of an eternal heaven or hell. They are simply setting out to prove or disprove that the conscience goes on after death.

What do you make of this? I think this is certainly interesting and I will definitely want to know the outcome, but I'm not sure if this is really a credible way of proving or disproving the existence of afterlife.

i do not believe the existance of afterlife can be proved. why dont they spend their time doing something more constructive like developing cures?
    Maybe the scientists doing the experiement are idiots and aren't able to make cures for stuff.
    Not all scientists are doctors you know mate.

And you've got to admit, it is a burning question, I don't see how they'll be able to prove it. Are they taking into account that a comatose person can often here people talking to him? If they can hear people, then it's quite possible they can see people, albeit unconciously.
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Not all scientists are doctors you know mate.

u dont say..... :rolleyes:
    well you did ask why they can't do anything more constructive.
    i wouldn't want a philosopher (which is essentially what these guys are) attempting to make a cure for cancer, no more than I'd expect an American Soldier be able to placate a local population.
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    well you did ask why they can't do anything more constructive.
    i wouldn't want a philosopher (which is essentially what these guys are) attempting to make a cure for cancer, no more than I'd expect an American Soldier be able to placate a local population.

i asked why they couldn't be more constructive because i personally dont believe an afterlife can be proved. there was no need however, for you to be rude and condescending
    I'm in two minds, I would like to know if there is an afterlife, but I think resources could be used in other ways.

It would give peace of mind to know that you go somewhere after death.
    well if we go somewhere after death ...that would mean that cats and slugs and ants would go somewhere as well wouldn't it?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    well if we go somewhere after death ...that would mean that cats and slugs and ants would go somewhere as well wouldn't it?

Well yea it does, God's the creator isn't he
    so ...theres a heaven and hell for slugs! what does a slug have to do to go to hell ...presumably a very salty kind of hell. what would slugs do in heaven?
    sounds a complete pile of bollox to me. this may seem like a stupid post but it's a valid question.

Depends what you call 'God'. No, I don't believe that a male, omnipotent 'God' created the world. A single male deity is only half a god, there would have to be a male and female at least to create.

As for the research, a waste of time and money. I mean who will it help?

We are going to die anyway, so why not just face that fact?
    We are going to die sometime anyway, lets just leave it at that.

We are all going to find out the truth sometime.
    I personally would like to know if there is an afterlife or if you spend eternity floating around
    They will leave hidden symbols (only viewable from above) in the rooms of comatose patients.

That's already been done with people experimenting with OBE (Out Of Body Experience)

I forgot how they done it but the woman was asleep and when she woke up she was able to tell the people what was on top of a box near to the ceiling without even using a ladder to look up there.

You are able to have a type of near death experience buy being hooked up to a machine in a dark room and having strong magnetic fields generated round your head and lower body.

If it's Strong enough you can hallucinate to the point where you think that voices and visions that you are experiencing are as real as anything else while still in a conscious/aware state. These were reported to be exactly the same as people who have had an NDE. It's also more common that people witness paranormal events while being near Strong magnetic fields.

Didn't someone post something to a website once where people were carrying out research on life after death and had quite a good break through?
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    That's already been done with people experimenting with OBE (Out Of Body Experience)

I forgot how they done it but the woman was asleep and when she woke up she was able to tell the people what was on top of a box near to the ceiling without even using a ladder to look up there.

You are able to have a type of near death experience buy being hooked up to a machine in a dark room and having strong magnetic fields generated round your head and lower body.

If it's Strong enough you can hallucinate to the point where you think that voices and visions that you are experiencing are as real as anything else while still in a conscious/aware state. These were reported to be exactly the same as people who have had an NDE. It's also more common that people witness paranormal events while being near Strong magnetic fields.

Didn't someone post something to a website once where people were carrying out research on life after death and had quite a good break through?

OBEs or astral travel has been used by shamans since the dawn of time, but I wouldn't say it's the same as death. But then that's a personal opinion really. Perhaps if we want to focus more on what happens after deah, we should look in to past life regression or mediumship, rather than waste time and money on some fancy science experiment.

I don't believe society is ready to know whether there's life after death, we'll find out soon enough. It's like when a young teenager decides they want sex even though they aren't ready... they'll end up suffering the consequences...

Then again, maybe it would cause the UK at least to become Christian again if there was a proof of an afterlife.
    the pope believes in a life after death but he's clinging on to earthly missery.
    if theres a heaven where we go to when we die ...then war, famine, disease ...must be celebrated.
    the pope believes in a life after death but he's clinging on to earthly missery.
    if theres a heaven where we go to when we die ...then war, famine, disease ...must be celebrated.

How much would it change society if this useless information was found anyway?

christians believe animals dont go to heavan, apparantly they dont have souls

another random piece of bullshit from the church
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    How much would it change society if this useless information was found anyway?

if it was "proven" that there isn't an afterlife I think Churches would have to re-evaluate what they preach concerning the Kingdom of God and stuff :confused:
    two reasonably famous people who were into spiritualism ...houdini and doriss stokes ...both stated that once they died they would do everything possible to bring the world proof of an after life by performing some great display ...we're waiting.
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

How do you know this? :p We haven't had the random bullshit research to back it up.

Are you a pantheist then?
    Originally posted by Char_Baby

in the bible it says that all creatures ARE ...living souls ...not that they posess one ...