Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

entity relationship diagrams

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
can anyone help? i'm doing an ERD for a vet's practise and have a question: can a link entity solve more than one many-to-many relationships? e.g. i have the entities ANIMAL and DRUG. that is many-to-many so i created a link entity called DRUG DISPENSED. there is also a many to many relationship between VET and DRUG. can the DRUG DISPENSED link entity be used for this too? i reckon it can, but just want a bit of assurance! hope someone out there knows what i'm on about :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: entity relationship diagrams
    Originally posted by Natalie
    can anyone help? i'm doing an ERD for a vet's practise and have a question: can a link entity solve more than one many-to-many relationships? e.g. i have the entities ANIMAL and DRUG. that is many-to-many so i created a link entity called DRUG DISPENSED. there is also a many to many relationship between VET and DRUG. can the DRUG DISPENSED link entity be used for this too? i reckon it can, but just want a bit of assurance! hope someone out there knows what i'm on about :D

:eek2:

Ask in Anything Goes?
    cheers for drawing that. that is how i've drawn it out, but i reckon the drug dispensed table would be all i'd need. i could store data about the vet who had given the drug, a drug id, and an animal id. thanks for your help :)
    Easiest is to think about it realistically. You would not have a different drug being dispensed by the vet to what is given to the animal, so why would it be a seperate entity?

It's also easy to think of in normalised tabular form, because you would only have "vets" "animals" and "drugs".

In other words the diagram looks right.