Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What would you choose?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have unconditional offers to do Law at:

University of Sheffield, Uni of Liverpool, Uni of Leicester, and also Leeds and lancaster. There must be people on here from all or some of those places, so flood me with information (useful or otherwise) about the relative merits (again, or otherwise) of them. Any feedback much appreciated. I'm already signed up for all the Open Days at the start of next year for people with offers, but it's good to hear stuff from the horse's mouth. You, of course, being the horses. Cheers!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sheffield. No competition, except maybe with Lancaster. But Sheffield has a superb reputation, and it's a lovely city too.

Dunno anything about Lancaster, cept it's too far north for my liking.
    i'd say leeds.

with our football team, you'll get loads of up-close law practice, and it's by far the best student life out of the choices too.

failing that, probably lancaster.
    I know you might not believe me, but Liverpool is pretty cool for students! Just ignore the stereotypes and you'll be fine!

But im not sure how good it is for Law... 28th on the times guide... I know a few people who are doing it, but not all that well. They seem to be having a good time though ;)
    go to leeds and take me with you cos im missing my friend and hes there :p
    Sheffield....Im here and its great :D
    Lanacaster is all on 1 campus about 5 miles out of town I think. That suits some people and not others. Dont know mmuch else.

Bopz
    Originally posted by faerielights
    I know you might not believe me, but Liverpool is pretty cool for students! Just ignore the stereotypes and you'll be fine!

But im not sure how good it is for Law... 28th on the times guide... I know a few people who are doing it, but not all that well. They seem to be having a good time though ;)

I believe you 100%- my whole family is from Liverpool and I spend loads of time there. It is a wonderful place, the people are great......

I am surprised Lancaster has popped up a couple of times, it strikes me as being a bit out of the way social-wise and having read up in the Virgin university guide that seems to back it up- the 'scene' isn't rated too highly.

Sheffield is probably my favoured choice at the moment, it does have a great reputation, all the people I know who are going/have been there loved it...... I hope it lives up to the reputation when I come on the Open Day in February. I've heard the sports facilities are top as well?

Thanks for all the feedback people, keep it coming if you have more to add or any other thoughts, cheers!
    Here's my reccomendation for Liverpool!

GOOD POINTS:
    - The law department seems pretty good, though ask a law student for better info!
    - The Guild is bloody massive here - until recently it was the largest in Europe. I was still finding bars there even two months into my time here - count is 7 so far. There's always something interesting going on, too.
    - Liverpool is bloody cheap; certainly the cheapest city I've been to. Most nights there will be somewhere in town with drinks for £1, or just go to the Guild for your £1 pints. Transport is pretty cheap, especially the buses, and also accomodation looks very affordable too.
    - Many places to go at night; bar crawls are easy and cheap to do, and there is a huge variety of drinking, dancing and clubbing establishments.
    - Lovely ladies. (its the 3rd sexiest city in the UK, apparently).
    - It's the home of the Beatles! The scousers won't let you forget. Nor the fact that Liverpool is the Capital of Culture 2008. There are stickers EVERYWHERE reminding you of it! There are lots of nice museums and galleries here to keep you entertained, and the docks are very nice (when the weather is pleasant).
    - The locals are very friendly and helpful, though the accent is a bit difficult at first!
    - The Blue Angel. 'nuff said.

NOT-SO-GOOD POINTS

- Liverpool has bad press for shootings and things, but actually it is the 2nd safest city in the UK. They just make the news because OCCASIONALLY there is a major shooting in the city centre, but I haven't seen any major crime really. All cities have their dodgy areas, just keep away from them.
    - There are lots of people in town who will chat you up whilst you're trying to eat lunch then ask you for money. For me, that is the most irritating thing about Liverpool.
    - The weather in winter. I keep getting urges to look at a map to reassure myself I'm not in Greenland.
    come to leeds!
    it's the most applied for uni in the whole country and it's just soooo much fun :D
    oh..and i've seen your pic so if you'd like me to give you a tour... ;)
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Here's my reccomendation for Liverpool!
    - The Blue Angel. 'nuff said.

Hehe. Just got back from there with mistletoe. roll on 9 oclock lectures!
    Originally posted by lipsy
    come to leeds!
    it's the most applied for uni in the whole country and it's just soooo much fun :D
    oh..and i've seen your pic so if you'd like me to give you a tour... ;)

A tour of what exactly? Oh, I see..... ;)