Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Student Food Shopping!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I guess this won't apply to much for those who are catered. But for those who have to do their own cooking...where do you usually shop?

I've been at home for now so the cost of food hasn't been so much. And my friend's been saying go for the reduced price time in Sainsbury's at 10pm etc...

Any general ideas?

Thanx:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Sainsbury's is expensive. Try Asda, or if you are really stretched netto or aldi :D (You can get canned stuff there for next to nothing).
  • Options
    Re: Student Food Shopping!
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    my friend's been saying go for the reduced price time in Sainsbury's at 10pm etc...

Same here... Sainsbury's is the only supermarket near me. Except Farmfoods - all freezer products £1 a bag/box :)

I try and go with friends and get things on buy-one-get-one-free offers with them. If you're doing a lot of shopping at Sainsbury's you can get a Nectar card...it gives you a pathetic amount off but it's better than nothing.

If you reuse old bags in Sainsbury's they give you 1p back for each bag. Unfortunately they won't let you get away with putting one item in each bag...I did try...
  • Options
    we have a sainsburys, an asda and a morrisons nearby, and i got to whichever one i feel like at the time.

morrisons is definitely the cheapest though, although asda's not far behind.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    morrisons is definitely the cheapest though, although asda's not far behind.

I keep thinking about asda's pizzas. Those 14" ones for £3. Buy a couple, cut them in halves and shove them in the fridge. That'll be my week's lunch sorted!
  • Options
    ASDAs is the best bet i think, though Tesco is closer to me so i use that unless i'm going past ASDA (like later on today). But ASDA is definitely cheaper.
  • Options
    Asda is closest to me, and pretty cheep with all their smartprice stuff, which with a little help can be made perfectly edible.
    Eg the 9p noodles which taste a hell of a lot nicer with a dash of extra spices. its a bit extra but not as much as super noodles etc.

Plus our asda is right in the middle of studentville down on Smithdown road, so its geared up to students, with *huge* bags of pasta and stuff. all the student food you can dream of. And its 24 hours, so you can go at random times of the day and night :)
  • Options
    We have a Tesco about --><-- from our house, so we shop there. The value range is good anc heap, so is the reduced section.

Netto is good for cans and alcohol, the Starberg lager is good for about £4 a crate, so is the wine selection.
  • Options
    don't places like netto and aldi only have like 15 beans in a tin or something :rolleyes:

i'm biased, i work in tesco - so shop there :yes:

the supermarket that i really do dislike is safeways :mad:
  • Options
    We're lazy and do a tesco home delivery thingy. Saves uis the price of buses and taxis etc to do shopping cos there aint any big supermarkets near us. And their delivery charge between 4 of us is nothing really.
  • Options
    I've also got a small budgens near me. But i'm not sure that has alot of stuff.

They should have a Cosco's near every uni...cheapo bulk buy!
  • Options
    I used to shop at either Sainsburys or Waitrose when I was at Uni, and now I shop mainly at Tesco or Waitrose.

Waitrose is a bit more expencive, but the food there is much better I think. I really loath Safeway with a vengence, the place is foul beyond words.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    don't places like netto and aldi only have like 15 beans in a tin or something :rolleyes:

I cant speak about Aldi, but a lot of Netto stuff is very good. But even if you dont want to find out what is, the branded tins are still quite a bit cheaper- 5p off each can of Heinz soup or beans isnt to be sniffed at if you buy 20 of them, is it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I really loath Safeway with a vengence, the place is foul beyond words.

:yes:

There's a safeways down my road, so sometimes it's more convenient for me to go there than pop down the hill to tesco.

However, if I pop down on say a saturday afternoon - they have about 3 checkouts open. The staff never say hello or offer help packing (not that I need it, but meh, that's besides the point). They're not exactly polite either.

It makes me wander how they ever pass the mystery shopper thing.

At tesco, we have to be/are polite and everything, offer help packing etc etc. Sometimes I even help them out to their car and stuff. Bleah. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Student Food Shopping!
    Originally posted by .NK
    Same here... Sainsbury's is the only supermarket near me. Except Farmfoods - all freezer products £1 a bag/box :)

I try and go with friends and get things on buy-one-get-one-free offers with them. If you're doing a lot of shopping at Sainsbury's you can get a Nectar card...it gives you a pathetic amount off but it's better than nothing.

If you reuse old bags in Sainsbury's they give you 1p back for each bag. Unfortunately they won't let you get away with putting one item in each bag...I did try...

You need to explore Beeston more. There's an Iceland and a Kwik-Save there too. More importantly, there's a Big In Booze, which does some fantastic deals on good quality booze.

But you don't drink.

Well, it sells crisps too...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I cant speak about Aldi, but a lot of Netto stuff is very good. But even if you dont want to find out what is, the branded tins are still quite a bit cheaper- 5p off each can of Heinz soup or beans isnt to be sniffed at if you buy 20 of them, is it?

I'd rather fork out the extra 5p - it'll make me sound really snobby but I just dislike supermarkets like lidl and aldi
  • Options
    i shop at iceland (really cheap nice food) or tesco. used to shop at morisons last year but it costs me £3 to get there now lol. tesco's nice cos it always has different stuff in morrisons got abit boring when u bort the same thing every week
  • Options
    I'd rather fork out the extra 5p - it'll make me sound really snobby but I just dislike supermarkets like lidl and aldi

Well if youve got the money to waste like that youre richer than most of us.
  • Options
    Aargh... today I went down to get some cheap food and beer from the little supermarket down the road... found it gutted and said something like "Tesco Express coming soon..." :( I take it that nice lady who saves my Autosport for me has gone, too...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Well if youve got the money to waste like that youre richer than most of us.

me? nope :no:

I still live at home, but even so...why would we just pop to aldi or somewhere just to save 20p on some beans? :confused:

I think it must be the way I've been brought up...you'll have to forgive me :rolleyes: :p
  • Options

I think it must be the way I've been brought up...you'll have to forgive me :rolleyes: :p

Or just your bad maths...

Say you buy two cans of beans a week.

The difference is 10p a week, over 52 weeks = £5.20. That's half of another night out.

Imagine if you do that with another couple of items, and you've got a couple of extra nights out, or an extra-nice xmas present for someone, or something. Kermit's right, every little bit helps.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    Or just your bad maths...

Say you buy two cans of beans a week.

The difference is 10p a week, over 52 weeks = £5.20. That's half of another night out.

Imagine if you do that with another couple of items, and you've got a couple of extra nights out, or an extra-nice xmas present for someone, or something. Kermit's right, every little bit helps.

no, my maths isn't that bad :p

I don't even like heinz beans..so we buy tesco beans. Not that that's really relevant. Say I spent the extra 5p or whatever on the beans, I'd probably save it elsewhere.

Edited to say..you said at the end, 'every little helps' - that's tesco's slogan :p
  • Options

Edited to say..you said at the end, 'every little helps' - that's tesco's slogan :p

Tesco are expensive though on most things.
  • Options
    Yeah, but theres only so far you can push that cost cutting attitude.

You could say, well I'll live on beans and rice, that will save me money to go out more often.

But food shouldnt be something just to get over and done with, its a pleasure, something you should take time and effort in. I'd rather eat well than go out every night on the razz.
  • Options
    Originally posted by strawberrychild
    They should have a Cosco's near every uni...cheapo bulk buy!

Yeah... but isn't Cosco only for people in the Civil Service? You need to qualify for a card to shop there :)

I don't eat much. So i shop at the UFO (Union Food Outlet)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Yeah, but theres only so far you can push that cost cutting attitude.

You could say, well I'll live on beans and rice, that will save me money to go out more often.

But food shouldnt be something just to get over and done with, its a pleasure, something you should take time and effort in. I'd rather eat well than go out every night on the razz.

indeed, yes.

I'm not going to spend my life worrying about the cost of beans.

I don't want to eat beans or whatever from places like that, so I won't. I'm not just going to pop into aldi to save me a few quid thankyou very much :)

to the person who said tesco was expensive..in comparison to what?
  • Options

to the person who said tesco was expensive..in comparison to what?

Comparrison to Asda, Morisons etc. Sainsbury's and Booths are about the only places more expensive. But both their quality of food and selection is much better than tesco's.
  • Options
    I've never even heard of Booths, is it a Northern thing?

Personally I think either Tesco or Waitrose are the best, Waitrose has the best qaulity food, but their selection isnt quite as wide as Tesco and sometimes they are a bit over priced. However I do think they are not as expencive as everyone makes out.

Sainsburys is alright, I've not got one near me so I dont go in them very often, not bad.

Safeway is foul, it seems to atract really scummy people with kids shouting and screaming and their mums hitting them, moody staff, expencive coffee. Shite.

And I've never been inside a Nettos, Bulk bargin buy, or whatever and I really have no desire to do so.