Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Soham trial veredict

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How old are you? Five?

wouldnt be here if I was :D
    Originally posted by RWB

There wasnt debate, it was 11-1. It was a clear verdict dragged out by one lunatic, he probably posts on here :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I cant believe you called me a lunatic?! Truely I am surprised.

You call them "sickos" and "perverts" yet they are not mentally ill? Sorry but I dont understand that at all.

Certainly I would aggree with all rapist and sex offenders not being in jail, its not the right place for them. I would like the see them in secure hospitals.

Do you have any idea about the re-offending rates for sex crimes, its amoung the highest for any crime. If some effort was made to rehabilitate them it would save money, suffering and probably lives.

Ideas like chemical castration should be research much further, I dont really like US justice in a lot of cases but they have had success with this.

Just dismissing me as a lunatic is NOT debating, it just shows you as being stupid.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Understanding what turns people into child abusers/murderers etc might go some way to preventing other people turning out like that. Got it?

i agree with what your saying, try to find out why they do it.

They should be locked up in a secure mental unit serve there time their and not get released early, give them life and it means life.
    Just for anyone who is interested theres a programme on at 9:00pm tonight, BBC1 The Real Story, Soham Special.
    huntley has already been assessed by mental heath professionals, and they declared him sound of mind.

if you remember he was originally in a mental hospital before he was transferred to prison after they decided he wasn't mentally ill.
    Originally posted by RWB
    Ill do you a deal. Ill scream sicko and pervert, you scream lets understand the killers.

Im starting to wonder what you went down for. :D
    And we'll see who gets banned first?

I'm starting to wonder what you turned up for.
    to enjoy the PM system ;)
    Have to say, if someone's using the PM system to be an asshole about something on a thread, the place to refer to that abuse is that thread, verbatim if necessary. Or just report them. The asshole will soon learn their place in the scheme of things.

Ooh, haven't checked my PM box in ages... ;)
    the thing mentiond about chemical castration, a study hasshown it not to work on sex offenders, well serial rapists because the thing isnt the sex, its the power/control thsat gives them their thrills so chemical castration still left them to reoffend doing violent sex crimes...

id like to understand why sex offenders and whatnot become howthey are because most child abusers were abused as a child themselves, which is a very worrying fact which noone attempts to even try and address even though its been known for decades

and how do we know that other jurist was a lunatic? he might well be but how are we supposed to know?

EDIT: id prefer them to spend a fixed time in jail set at sentencing with some sort of rehabilitation etc, and then instead of leaving prison to enter society straight away, a period of time in a secure hospital set by parole and constantly assesed and only let free if they are seen to not be a major threat

EXTRA NOTE: lets not forget MOST child abuse is done by family members, not just the sicko that hangs round parks and swimming pools etc and most offenders are 1st time offenders, but there is ahuge reoffending rate relative to other crimes and according to estimates there are quite a large number of the non knowing abusers
    No other verdict deliverable given the circumstances - including that Huntley was declared mentally stable, although I must agree with Blagsta here. How can he be?

I'm a bit soft maybe but I do see Maxine Carr as one of life's unfortunate people. Lots of women (and men) end up with really nasty people, and she tried to do the best for someone she loved and feared. How many of us would have behaved differently?
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I'm a bit soft maybe but I do see Maxine Carr as one of life's unfortunate people. Lots of women (and men) end up with really nasty people, and she tried to do the best for someone she loved and feared. How many of us would have behaved differently?

I have some inside knowledge about Maxine Carr...from what I've heard her only crime was to provide an alibi about a situation that she didn't know about for someone she loves.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I have some inside knowledge about Maxine Carr...from what I've heard her only crime was to provide an alibi about a situation that she didn't know about for someone she loves.

She aint that squeaky clean though is she. She has been accused of fraud, or is this media hype ?
    dunno
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    She aint that squeaky clean though is she. She has been accused of fraud, or is this media hype ?

but fraud and child murder are two very different crimes, even if it's true.

fraud's wrong, and all, but it doesn't really hurt anyone, does it?

my housemate has a CCJ for minor fraud, but that doesn't make him a murderer. he was just seeing what he could get away with.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    but fraud and child murder are two very different crimes, even if it's true.

I was just saying she aint that squeaky clean.

I said earlier on that I beleive she should not get a stiff sentence, because I think he probably manipulated her and she probably said nothing because she was scared of him, or for some reason like that anyway.
    Originally posted by RWB
    Look at Huntleys list of previous allegations and charges. How he hasnt been put away before is beyond me

Does the expression "innocent until proven guilty" mean anything to you?
    MOK wanted a manslaugter verdict, maybe it was him

Did I?

Must go and find that...
    Can't find any place where I said that, care to point me in the right direction RWB?
    MOK; Looking at his record it does seem odd though doesnt it? I'd aggree with you totaly that unless there has been a conviction then doing too much about it is straying into very dangerous waters.
    Also, did anyone else notice that his possible attacks stopped when he met Maxine?
    Originally posted by piccolo
    No other verdict deliverable given the circumstances - including that Huntley was declared mentally stable, although I must agree with Blagsta here. How can he be?

I wouldn't have lied!! she has been correctly dealt with, all other crimes are unrelated to this one!
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Can't find any place where I said that, care to point me in the right direction RWB?

He won't be able to. He likes to make quotes up. I've offered him my paycheque on a number of occasions if he can find where I said what he thinks I said. My bank balance is still healthy. :)
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    MOK; Looking at his record it does seem odd though doesnt it? I'd aggree with you totaly that unless there has been a conviction then doing too much about it is straying into very dangerous waters.

Very dangerous waters, especially in that environment.

How many false allegations are there - note that most of the alleagtions against him didn't even lead to him being questioned, or even arrested.

Yet these alleagtions could have cost him a job.

Now, with hindsight and in this instance that wouldn't have been a bad decision. But should we apply this across the board? If so, how many teachers would lose their jobs instantly based on unsubstantiated allegations and wouldn't some children use this as a tool against their teachers?

He has had a few allegations made against him though.

Hypothetically lets say allegations were made against you or any other male member on these boards and nothing was conclusive so you got let off. Then someone else makes an allegation against you and again there is not sufficient evidence or whatever and you are again let off. Now under them circumstances im sure all you males here would never allow yourself to be in the situation where you were left with a young girl aone. Im sure your 'normal, average' Mr Jones would make that his biggest priority, thats if he indeed was innocent. You would be afraid of being wrongly accused again and would not put yourself in the position where you could be left alone with a young girl............surely ?
    Interesting point, from a logical point of view it would make little sense for someone with a string of wrongful convictions to then work at a school.......

Not enough to have an legal weight though..........
    [BHow many false allegations are there - note that most of the alleagtions against him didn't even lead to him being questioned, or even arrested.

Now, with hindsight and in this instance that wouldn't have been a bad decision. But should we apply this across the board? If so, how many teachers would lose their jobs instantly based on unsubstantiated allegations and wouldn't some children use this as a tool against their teachers? [/B]

a lot of teachers and people like that are falsely accused of such things. and i see what you're saying there.

but after someone has been accused one NINE seperate occasions, you would have thought a bell would ring somewhere, for someone.

there is sometimes smoke without fire. but i don't think there's ever THAT much smoke without fire.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    but after someone has been accused one NINE seperate occasions, you would have thought a bell would ring somewhere, for someone.

Indeed, it is the sheer volume that should have been taken into consideration.

What we need to watch out for though, is that we don't have a reactionary, knee-jerk response which creates a culture of suspicion for ever child worker. We really don't want people losing jobs, or being denied jobs for unsubstantiated allegations.

Remember, until this week Huntley had never been convicted of any of those allegations so we have no proof that anything untoward actually happened... no matter how many allegations.

@ Becky - tough one. What if you work with children, should you give up your job because other people made allegations against you? Why should you?
    I really think that the terror that is wipped up about child killings and all this talk about "pedo's" in the media cant be good for children.
    Yes it is a good idea to do what you can to try and protect your children for people like this but they are VERY rare. Instilling fear in them about all adults really cant be good for their development and doesnt exactly harbor a sense of community does it.

In this case I think that the local police should have been told about the allegations against him, but probably not the school. The local police then could have made a descision to either keep an eye on him, talk to him or whatever.

If the school is to be informed of all allegations then there are going to be a lot of teachers hounded out of their jobs on hyped up false allegations.
    Originally posted by bongbudda

In this case I think that the local police should have been told about the allegations against him, but probably not the school. The local police then could have made a descision to either keep an eye on him, talk to him or whatever.

If the school is to be informed of all allegations then there are going to be a lot of teachers hounded out of their jobs on hyped up false allegations.

I don't think that are many false allegations made against teachers. As far as I'm concern, people who work in schools should be clean as a whistle and the police should have warned the school so that they could sack him and it might not have happened. You can bang on about the fact that he wasn't convicted of the earlier allegations, but their were loads of them and you can't allowing someone like that to work in a school.