Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what do you actually use

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One of the main differences is the effectiveness of the absorbtion of the drug. Smoking is much more effective than snorting, but mainlining would be even better.

As far as I know the main problems with long term cocaine use is the strain on the organs, same as speed, you run them too fast, especially with crack where the up is so fast and quick.

Plus it thickens the blood and tightens the viens which means your much more likely to have a heart attack or stroke.
    Also depletion of dopamine, risk of stroke, depletion of vitamins, excess adrenaline, depressed immune system (especially dangerous for those with HIV, it reduces the T-cell count) etc.
    Even more dangerous with alcoholm cocaine combines with alcohol to form cocaethylene which puts enormous strain on the liver and kidneys.

I attended a training course from COCA (Conference on Crack and Cocaine) recently. Crack and cocaine and not that much different. Believe.
    I dont pretend to believe that coke is not dangerous, and i dont pretend that its less dangerous for your body than crack - because i simply do not know all i know about effects is from sources ive read like erowid for example. As far as im concerned cocaine is a very dangerous drug but then i think class As arev dangerous fullstop.

But what i do claim to know is that the effects on a persons personality, mind and behaviour are much more shocking (and i think, more dangerous) when it comes to crack than cocaine. And its those effects that make me so against it. I dont think that any class A drugs to be honest are any more dangerous than another i think you take a big risk when you take any. But i will never touch crack or be a part of a persons life again if they do it, because i have seen how it changes people. Thats what im concerned about Its not the health aspects that make me so anti-crack.

And thanks for the info on long term effects Bongbudda and Blagsta.
    Be careful. Cocaine has a very nasty way of creeping up on you and before you know it you've got a big habit and no mates.
    I was lucky, grew dependent after two years of use and my friends stood by and helped me through it. I now never feel the burning need to do cocaine (i have once or twice over last few months but refrained from doing it) and although i do take it so havent quit - i take itonly if im at a party once a month or so and im offered it.
    Fairynuff if you feel you can handle it. A lot of people relapse badly though.
    Ive seen people with addictions to heroin, crack, speed and alcohol. I dont want to be that person. Luckily i have the choice (i still think cracks worse though hehe .. god im so childish)
    I work with people like that. Its not always a matter of choice.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    ive never met a 'once - in - a - while' crack user, but ive met plenty of people who have coke on a special occasion every fe months or so.

I used to be a once in a while crack user. I've done it several times though not recently and I know plenty of people like me. Infact I know plenty of people with a coke problem who have only wash up every now and again.

TBH both coke and crack are crap - they can be nice but there's far better things out there to be using!!!
    Weekender Offender 
    Lil-minx; I'd take issue with you on the statement that all class A drugs are as dangerous as each other.

Heroin and cocaine do not compare in any shape or form to LSD for example. LSD is pretty much, physically, the safest drug you can do.

Plus there is 2CB, 2C-i and all the 'research chemicals' that were banned recently. None of those compare with cocaine or heroin. Although some of those are quite dangerous in terms of mental health and some you can OD on relatively easily.

Oh and of course the whole MDXX family of drugs.
    Of course its not always a matter or choice thats why i say im lucky because i have the choice to refuse cocaine and i do more often than i take it, some people cant.

Skive im not saying everyone who does crack is addicted from the start because youre right its not true, but it takes a strong personality.

And bongbudda i appreciate that, and youre right in terms of physical health some are much much less dangerous than others, but the ones such as acid which may be safer in terms of physical health than another drug make up for it with the mental issues that can arise from it.
    If you look at the legal status of Heroin for example, it is considered highly dangerous with some medical uses, where as dried mushrooms are highly dangerous with no redeeming side to them.

This has to be wrong. I'm not saying that herion doesnt have medical uses, it does, or really that mushies do. But to put them in the same bracket is crazy.

I can see your point about the possible mental side effects from using any trip, be it mushies, LSD, MDMA etc. But I think there is also a lot to be gained from using these drugs too. Its only really a very small minority of people who experience long-term fall out from using drugs such as these.
    I think the only class A drug id feel pretty safe in taking is mushrooms. Even then, i know people who have been head fucked ever since taking them in the Dam and vow to never touch them again so i recognise there can be serious side - effects.

I think the governemtn play a big part in making drugs such a grey area they focus so much on warning you off certain drugs that they forget about others and its easy to fall into problems with drugs you thought would be safe, if that makes sense?

I cant claim to know everything about drugs because every source tires to tell me something different, so everything i say i know is from experience ~ because i trust experience more than anything a website, person or book can tell me.
    Certainly, mushrooms can be very intense, but the main problem is one of education, if people knew what they were doing before they took most trips the likely hood of it going wrong would be greatly reduced.

A lot of people go to the dam, pick up a box of mushies, think, oh these are natural, everyone does them, chew down a box and then freak out because they've never done a proper trip before and they dont feel that safe because they are not comfortable in a new town.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If you look at the legal status of Heroin for example, it is considered highly dangerous with some medical uses, where as dried mushrooms are highly dangerous with no redeeming side to them..

Heroin is actually not very physically harmful at all.
    I know, I didnt say it was, I was talking about the legal framework. Its considered in legal terms to be highly dangerous thats why its Class A.