Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

lauryn hill pokes the pope in the eye.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
page 16 of todays mirror.
she is invited to a big catholic event. appears on stage and lays into the bishops and the pope for child abuse.
gives it straight ...people came looking for god but were decieved by satan! people trusted ...people were destroyed.
the catholic church should be disbanded and it's vast vast wealth distributed to the people who have been hurt the most over the last thousand years by this big lie.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I heard about that, its going to be edited out of the video of the concert. Quite funny, but please rolly, you can read a better paper than that.
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    but please rolly, you can read a better paper than that.
    i do.
    That is the woman I have admired and looked up to since the age of 11.
    Yes, I have posssed my sense of good judgement for at least 7 years :D

God bless her :heart:
    Why did she do it? Can you post a link to the story as i want to read it for my self.
    Did the pope abuse a child???:confused:
    do a search on google saying "lauryn hill pope". Tons of pages will pop-up and you'll get the "whole" story.

Either way, now I am not that sure if what she did was the right way to do it.
    I repsect and admire her, and completely support the stand against child abuse.
    Oh, I don't know...
    Originally posted by Zella
    Did the pope abuse a child???:confused:
    not that we know of yet but ...hundreds of his bishops who live in palaces of luxury have and the catholic church has done its damndest over the years to cover it up, protect the guilty to a degree where some of these bastards have abused hundreds of children and ...still live in luxurious palaces of wealth and comfort in ...the popes name and with his blessing.
    see if i can find a link later.
    Oh dear. This really is a forum full of lefty tree-huggers
    Originally posted by giantno1
    Oh dear. This really is a forum full of lefty tree-huggers
    i like to think of myself as a realist.can i pressume you are a right wing tree hater then? that particular kind of right winger that believes the catholic church actualy represents christ and chrisianity? that ignores a thousand years of catholic murder, lies, deception, genocide etc etc etc.
    you believe that christ taught his followers that it was ok in gods name to teach falsehoods and live in shameless luxury in a palace with as many rent boys as you desire?
    Re: lauryn hill pokes the pope in the eye.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    people came looking for god but were decieved by satan! people trusted ...people were destroyed.

Thats what the problem is. Evil people became priests and abused children, its disgusting and Hill is right to criticse it.

Good point.

Then you go and ruin it:

the catholic church should be disbanded and it's vast vast wealth distributed to the people who have been hurt the most over the last thousand years by this big lie.

There are teachers who abuse children. Should schools be disbanded?
    There are social workers who abuse children. Should the care homes be disbanded?
    There are scouts and brownie leaders who abused children. Should they be disbanded?

There is no correlation between the evil individuals and the Catholic Church itself. To its shame it covered up when it should hjave hung the filth out to dry, but to blame it for the filth is ridiculous in the extreme.

But dont let logic get in the way of a Cathoilc-bashing rant, eh?
    Re: Re: lauryn hill pokes the pope in the eye.
    Originally posted by Kermit

But dont let logic get in the way of a Cathoilc-bashing rant, eh?
    of course not!
    the catholic church has a thousand year history of abuse of every kind from murder to genocide. theft etc. what makes it more abhorent is it clothes itself in the deciet of being christian.
    the power it has held over millions of people is disturbing. the pope refuses to acknowledge the use of condoms ...based on what? certainly not christianity. this refusal increases aids and unwanted pregnancy ...more suffering. how can an organisation of atrocity still hold people under its spell? we just got rid of saddam for commiting far less horror than the popes have.
    Even if we ignore the centuries of death, oppression, torture, misery, homophobia, and darkness directly linked to the Catholic Church, they are still today a cancer of this planet.

Look at their Nazi collaboration. Look at their constant gay-bashing. Look at their cover ups over child abuse by priests. Worst of all, look at their war against contraceptives such as condoms and their threat of eternal damnation to anyone who dares to wear a johnny. For this alone the fat bastard and all his henchmen around the world should be prosecuted for crimes against public health.
    Did you hear the Popes message a while ago saying that little holes in condoms help spread HIV!? Its stuff like this that makes me think they do not have the best interests of the people at heart.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Look at their Nazi collaboration.

OK then. Just what was the Pope expected to do, stand up and denounce Hitler as an evil man? And then what, watch as catholics were rounded up and shipepd to Auschwitz?

But what really pissses me off about thsi argument is just how offensive it is to the thousands of Catholics, including hundreds of clergy, who risked their lives saving the Jews. To then turn round and say that they collaborated with the Nazis is disgusting, in my opinion.

Look at their constant gay-bashing.

OK then. The Bible states that sex can only be allowed inside marriage, and that the sole role of marriage is to procreate. Even leaving aside the passages that say that man should not lie with man, because just about anything can be proved by one out-of-context passage in the Bible, homosexual sex cannot be justified by a true catholic. Sex outside of marriage is a sin, and homosexuals cannot get married- et voila, homosexual sex is a sin.

Though I will admit that using this to victimise homosexuals is wrong, it is only a very small number of people who do that. Homosexuals are allowed to be with each other, but theyre not allowed to have sex with each other. Deal with it.

Worst of all, look at their war against contraceptives

Again, in The Bible it actually says that sex is only allowed inside marriage, and that the idea of sex is to procreate. Whilst "every sperm is sacred" is taking it a bit far, it is wrong for people to decide when they can have children, as it is God's Decree.

And besides which, the Catholics have a very valid point when they say condoms promote widespread sex. Condoms DO NOT protect you 100% from VD just as they dont from pregnancy, and taking into account people not using them correctly the protection levels can drop as low as 75%. Thats one ejaculation in four that could spread AIDS, or impregnate the girl.

Now much as condoms help, perhaps teaching people to not have sex with strangers would be a better way fo stamping down on AIDS. AIDS has gone up among heterosexual women in the UK, and thats because they are sleeping with people they do not know, without protection. But even with protection they are still vulnerable.

Dislike the Catholic Church all you will, but when they say that the best defence against AIDS is keeping your legs shut and your cock in your pants they are right. Much as it pisses off those who think that sex has no consequences.
    Re: the Nazi connection

One thing is not being able to condemn Hitler (and I have to say I can't see why they couldn't do that anyway) and another is indulging in happy collaboration which included money laundering for the Nazis and lack of support and denial of help to Jews.

That many Catholic faithful and clergy helped Jews at a personal level does not wash the sins of the Vatican and the high hierarchy of the Catholic Church itself, which was up it its neck in it with the Nazis.

As for the rest, well there are many things the Bible states. Including advocating the death of anyone who works on the Sabbath, authorising slavery, stoning to death for many reasons and the subjugation of women.

Funny how the Catholic Church does not tell people to kill their neighbour if he's seen working on the Sabbath (because even they have come to admit that the Bible is a book that cannot be taken literally) and yet are happy to continue their disgusting gay-bashing and campaign against contraception because it says so in the Bible, directly or indirectly.

If the Church is prepared to admit that God wouldn’t really want us to kill our neighbour because it says so in the Bible, it’s about time they admit that God couldn’t really give a flying fuck whether a man is straight, gay or bi or if he chooses to use a rubber.