Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blame it on the games?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why is it that society seems to see Video Games as one of the biggest factors in creating anti social behavior amounst children? Do you beleive this is true or do you believe that it is just a scape goat too blame everything on. Personally i dont think its true that games are the BIGGEST factor in it though maybe a little factor prhaps though those who are a little unhinged? i play video games and i havnt gone on a random killing spree.

Comments

• Options
    The only real evidence I found when I did a project on this supporting the idea that people copy what they see in the media was done on children, so it can't be applied to the general population...

I'd say that anti-social behaviour in youths is down to poor parenting and social factors. Also with schooling... things like that.
  • Options
    disciplining children is now seen as a crime instead of a sign of parental love and care. teachers can't cane pupils anymore.
    we live in an anything goes world where we are led to believe we can be anything we want and do anything we want. the rules that regulate have been eroded so far that no one has control of anything.
    what happened to such words as love and honour. dedication and sacrifice?
    replaced with want want want. ok you can have have have!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    what happened to such words as love and honour. dedication and sacrifice?
    replaced with want want want. ok you can have have have!

Ask my father that one, doesn't seen to have existed in his generation either if he's anything to go by.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Ask my father that one, doesn't seen to have existed in his generation either if he's anything to go by.
    if your fathers my age i agree. we have thrown out old traditions/rules and so on to fast in my opinion. many things needed chucking but i don't believe that humans are as great at doing and dealing with things, as we like to believe. when you look at most animals they are on theier own immediately or very soon after birth. with humans we are helpless creatures who rely on parents for a very long time. this i think is where sudden and fast change on large adult populations lets us down. we start running before we can walk.
  • Options
    Ah, more harking back to "the good old days".

The early C20 is actually quite rare in that respect and tolerance of each other was commonplace rather than the rarity. I think a lot of it hass to do with the two wars, when people had to rally round and support each other in order to survive. Now that the need to survive is gone, the desire to support each other is gone.

There was no such respect in Victorian times, regardless of how many Jane Austen novels try and say otherwise. There was no such respect in Mediaeval times, when plague sufferers were bricked up in the houses and left to die.

To blame "modern society" is, in many ways, a complete misnomer. I think the greed is abhorrent, but I dont think it is a particularly modern invention.

And Ive never understood why "the cane" is seen as some wonderful thing. The cane only gains respect through pain and fear, and as Ive said before, if I whipped some guy in a cinema for not being quiet Id be arrested and jailed- why should it be any different in the classroom?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    And Ive never understood why "the cane" is seen as some wonderful thing. The cane only gains respect through pain and fear, and as Ive said before, if I whipped some guy in a cinema for not being quiet Id be arrested and jailed- why should it be any different in the classroom?
    there is a difference in attacking someone and disciplining through a little pain and fear to mark boundaries.
    teachers now have no power at all and are regularly ignored or even attacked.
    back in my bad old days ...no one would have dreamed of attacking a teacher. the teacher wielded power. the short sharp pain of a whack off a stick is not life threatening or in any way damaging. but it was controlling. now ...no control.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    there is a difference in attacking someone and disciplining through a little pain and fear to mark boundaries.

Where is the difference? Its still physical battery, regardless of how you dress it up.

teachers now have no power at all and are regularly ignored or even attacked.

Thats true, but I fail to see how the cane would bring any control back- do you think a kid who would spit at a teacher would stand there whilst he was caned?

There are better ways of having control, and to be quite honest, it marks the good teachers out from the shit ones. The best teachers never lose control of their classroom, but unfortunately there arent enough good teachers anymore.

Allowing the teachers to have final decisions on expulsions might help, though. Thats where the real control has gone, the teachers would in disciplinary matters is no longer the last one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Where is the difference? Its still physical battery, regardless of how you dress it up.

Thats true, but I fail to see how the cane would bring any control back- do you think a kid who would spit at a teacher would stand there whilst he was caned?

no it's not physical battery ...it was the rules. it wasn't an unprovoked attack. it was a simple case of step over this line and it will hurt ...you have been warned.
    i don't believe for a moment that the cane could be reintroduced now. for the very reason you state.
    i have known a couple of good teachers over the years ...very good, who have had to pack it in. one has been on valium for over ten years now!
    have you seen the social security and job centre stories about removing the xmas trees from the public parts of their offices? some members of the public may use them as weapons! it's the same mentality. no respect. i want it and i want it now!
    you can cite many horrors from the past but i believe that individuals in todays society are more willing than in the past to maim and hurt and kill each other than ever before. you can pretend that nothing has changed and all is the same as it ever was but ...look around and see the evidence. cameras everywhere cos we no longer trust each other, we fear each other more. burglar alarms on every house.
    it didn't used to be like this cos 40 years ago there was nothing worth nicking off each other. a burglar 40 yrs ago would have been a proffesional robbing silver etc from the wealthy. now in our very materialistic world ...everthing glitters and more and more people are willing to take it from each other.
    so ...blame materialism. we don't seem to be able to cope very well with such abundance.