Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

France, schools and head dresses.

I dont know how many of you know about this, but France has just passed an all out ban of children in school wearing 'overtly religious atire' which means no turbans, head dress, jewish hats, (sorry I cant think of the term) etc.

This, they say is the continuation of moves to distance church and state that have been going on for a long while now. It is also in the same vien as the restrictions on the names that you are allowed to call your child.

Personally I'm not sure what this achieves appart from isolating the minority communities even further and building up resentment. The French have very set ideas about what it is to be French, but I think actions such as these will only lead to trouble. There is already a growing divide and a growing far-right racist political movement too.

heres a link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3309885.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A very interesting subject, this.

Are children going to be banned from wearing necklaces or earrings in the shape of the Christian Cross, for instance?

When you even get the Christian Church in France asking not implement a ban on Muslim headscarves you know how misguided the authorities have got.

They fail to comprehend that the headscarf is a matter of choice more often than not, and that Muslim girls want to wear it. Now, I understand where the authorities are coming from. But a headscarf is not a bloody burqa, nor is demeaning in any way to women.

This will only cause to alienate the Muslim community further.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Are children going to be banned from wearing necklaces or earrings in the shape of the Christian Cross, for instance?

When you even get the Christian Church in France asking not implement a ban on Muslim headscarves you know how misguided the authorities have got.

They fail to comprehend that the headscarf is a matter of choice more often than not, and that Muslim girls want to wear it. Now, I understand where the authorities are coming from. But a headscarf is not a bloody burqa, nor is demeaning in any way to women.

This will only cause to alienate the Muslim community further.

It's not only Muslims this would could offence to, Christian & Jews as well. I don't see how banning symbols of religious significance will make everyone more equal, it will just hide peoples beliefs, therefore lessening the acceptable people have of other faiths.
  • Options
    More than anything I fail to understand what they hope to gain from this, how does wearing a head scarve stop you from learning? You could be wearing a Dr Suess hat for all I care as long as the kids are learning.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Are children going to be banned from wearing necklaces or earrings in the shape of the Christian Cross, for instance?.

It says large christian crosses...How big 'large' is, I have no idea..It says that discreet medallions and pendants would be allowed, so id guess that includes necklaces and earrings.

I think its slightly odd and I cant see a reason for it...Im a little confused as to why everyone immediately focuses on the muslims here.
  • Options
    Because the EU has long been the "Christian club" of nations.
  • Options
    No, i mean the media and posters..This is a ban on religious wear, not muslim wear specifically..
  • Options
    Good...

So France can in 10 years from now complain about the extremists and un-integrated immigrants, who have been forced to go to faith-based schools cause of such a ban. As if that problem isn't big enough there, as it is now.
    If they accept such a thing, they better not be complaining later on.

Not only that but demeaning the respective religions by suggesting this
    The report also recommends that Yom Kippur - the Jewish Day of Atonement - and the Muslim Eid al-Kabir festival be celebrated in state schools.

Go France. Misunderstandings and religious war is raging, and you're doing your best to support it by seperating the parts even further apart :rolleyes: