Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

graffiti, tagging... opinions?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think of graffiti/tagging?

See... I always thought it was terrible, just vandalism, etc, etc. Then when I was in about Year 10, I learned in Latin that graffiti actually dates back to at least Roman times... people have always done it... writing who loves who, who's an, erm, nasty person etc. So that kind of changed my opinion a little. And then there's tagging - pointless, waste of space etc... but... I dunno, to some extent it's like, you see a familiar tag (like ' Inch" ') all around Sunderland/Newcastle area, and it's kind of... awww... home. I dunno :confused:

I mean, I realise how much it costs the government to clean it up (although I suppose it's useful as a form of community service :P ) but... I mean, what would happen if they didn't clean it? Would more just go over the top, or would people stop doing it, or what? I'm not condoning it. Just wondering what people think...

Sorry if this doesn't make all that much sense, I'm just writing stuff as it occurs :)

Comments

• Options
    Not too keen on tagging, but proper pieces can be amazing.

And lets not forget Banksy.

http://www.banksy.co.uk/menu.html
  • Options
    Tagging seems pointless to me, and its really rather ugly. But proper art, then thats always impressive and I quite like that.

Especialy if its in a really wierd place, somewhere which makes you wonder how the hell they got there without killing themselves. But of course to advocate this kind of behaviour would be stupid.
  • Options
    Given that we as a society condone the rewarding of the 'artists' celbrated in the Turner prize it seems almost strange to be so keen to remove the 'art' of the graffiti artist........
  • Options
    aha! that's something i forgot actually, the really arty stuff... you wonder how they got there... but you also have to wonder how they did it without anyone noticing :confused:
  • Options
    I think it depends where it's done. Say on somebody's house or a nursery home it's like... urgh. But it's interesting to look at when you're on a train in to London, it gives the place character.
  • Options
    Re: graffiti, tagging... opinions?
    Originally posted by dominatrix
    you see a familiar tag (like ' Inch" ') all around Sunderland/Newcastle area, and it's kind of... awww... home. I dunno :confused:
    ooooh i know that one! its all over Newcastle ain't it!
  • Options
    tagging is pathetic pointless etc

and whilst graffiti is vandalism i think the artists that stick up those huge pieces do a great job, really livens up a shitty area. im not on about a bigger tag, like a dub or whatever you want to call it, im on about graffiti art.

Anybody heard of that graffiti artist who does sort of stenciling type work? see it around london little scenes and rats and that? hes a good un cant remember his name
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Anybody heard of that graffiti artist who does sort of stenciling type work? see it around london little scenes and rats and that? hes a good un cant remember his name

I already mentioned him - Banksy www.banksy.co.uk
  • Options
    It is vandalism however you look at it. I do agree that some graffiti that is done well is really very good (better than most of the **** in the Tate Modern)!
  • Options
    I love Tate Modern.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I love Tate Modern.
    I apologise. I don't!
  • Options
    Criminal damage is criminal damage. I dont care how "pretty" or otehrwise it is, it is illegal and it is repugnant. When I see entire trains desecrated in this way- and even though I can see the artistic merit of graffitti it is still desecration- it makes my blood boil.

Though if it is done wioth the owners permission I see no problem with graffitti.

If I had my way Id chop the hands off taggers though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    I apologise. I don't!

seconded. its so crap. i mean sum stuff is ok, but the majority of it is crap.
  • Options
    Wonderful analysis there.
  • Options
    I second the opinion that the Tate Modern is great, I went to a Picasso/Mateise show there a while ago and it was really top. One of the best art shows I've seen in a long while. Although it wasnt as good as the Piccasso museam in Barcelona.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    I second the opinion that the Tate Modern is great, I went to a Picasso/Mateise show there a while ago and it was really top. One of the best art shows I've seen in a long while. Although it wasnt as good as the Piccasso museam in Barcelona.
    I have no issue with Picasso / Matisse, but some modern "artists" you see (I'm afraid I can't name any, 'cos I'm not really interested, as you've gathered) like the guy who stacked some bean bags together in the Art Gallery of Ontario to look like a burger. That's not art (IMHO)!

Sorry, I didn't mean to convert this into a modern art-bashing!
  • Options
    Well thats a whole other thread innit, what is art.

Art is whatever you want it to be.
  • Options
    A classical example of an unsolvable problem created by so called public ownership. On one hand people pay taxes so they have the right to draw on their property. On the other hand people pay taxes so they have the right to have their property clean. Ban it or allow it any decision is unjust.
  • Options
    Well not really, as long as the majority of people dont want it then, in the system we have then they are allowed to force their judgement on the others.
    But wether or not this is "just" is another matter really because the term is so relative.
  • Options
    I really dont have a problem with it as long as its not on my house. If its on someone elses house its a problem which needs to be sorted, but still... I think nearly all grafiti and even much tagging is great... Especially the stuff that you get in weird places as you said (anyone ever played JSRF? :D).
  • Options
    Wow... I feel so famous lol... my topic on the front page of TheSite ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    A classical example of an unsolvable problem created by so called public ownership.

The public do not OWN public property, they merely have a trust stake in it. And as the authority is the trustee, it owns legal title. Therefore the authority says who can, and cannot, destroy public property.