Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tax-Free Day

For all those who think that this country si grotesquely under-taxed, heres an interesting thought for you.

In 1996, Tax-Free Day (the day where you stop paying tax and start earning for yourself) was May 26. Since then it has gone forward to June 2, and is expected to be June 8 before Blairs second term is complete.

That means that nearly half of what anybody earns goes straight to the vomit-inducing Chancellor. Which makes me wonder what its being spent on, if they cant even find the money to fund Sure Start properly.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Tax-Free Day
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Which makes me wonder what its being spent on, if they cant even find the money to fund Sure Start properly.
    You remember, the Labour government pleged to spend their funds on "education, education, education". That must be what the money's going towards - their commitment not to raise university tuition fees.
  • Options
    and those nobs we sold the railway to ...still the public are paying billions! whats that all about then? is it nationalised or is it public?
    it's costing a fucking arm and a leg in more ways than one.
  • Options
    Re: Tax-Free Day
    Originally posted by Kermit
    In 1996, Tax-Free Day (the day where you stop paying tax and start earning for yourself) was May 26. Since then it has gone forward to June 2, and is expected to be June 8 before Blairs second term is complete.

What taxes does this figure include because it certainly isn't just income tax/NI contributions...
  • Options
    Gordon Brown is the best thing about this govt, the economic performance under New Labour has been excellent and you can't argue with that. Economic performance is the key to keeping the people happy and probably the reason why New Labour still look unassailable despite numerous political cock-ups..........