Home› Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Free speech, where?

BNP article on boy arrested for "incitement to racial hatred"

I was perusing the BNP website because of an article someone sent to me about a racist beating in Oldham, and this article struck me out.

Now racism is abhorrent, but I have grave worries about the value of free speech in this country if you cannot even support the BNP without being arrested. This was a stupid decision by the police, and one that only adds more fuel to the fire of hatred the BNP is capable of stoking up.

As I am of the opinion you cannot incite someone to believe something or do something that they would not already do, the whole law of "incitement to racial hatred" is ridiculous in my opinion. I could stand in the company of Abul Hamza until Chrsitmas and I still would not be tempted to fly a plane into a skyscraper, and I could listen to Nick Griffin until Christmas and still not believe that ethnic minorities care the work of Beelzebub.

Therefore why have the law? People will only listen to what they want to hear, so what damage does spouting racist filth (of any persuasion) actually do?

It offends people? Big deal.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well done police, sure that will get a few more votes for the BNP at the next election.
  • Options
    What does BNP actully stand for? i know it means british national party but i mean whats it do? what are its veiws?

And why was this boy arrested? waist of police time if you ask me. Whoop de doo! 3 letters on a peice of paper that could mean ANYTHNG! hmm i know lets go arrest him!

And we are entitled to our own veiws, this boy was not hurting anyone, he was angry and if i had just gotten beaten up i would be too.
  • Options
    If you believe any of the nonsense the BNP spout, you're an idiot.
  • Options
    ermm...i dnt know if you were aiming that at me...but i dnt know what they are spoutin so i cant believe init....all i do know is they are racist, and im not.
  • Options
    I was aiming it at Kermit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    What does BNP actully stand for? i know it means british national party but i mean whats it do? what are its veiws?

And why was this boy arrested? waist of police time if you ask me. Whoop de doo! 3 letters on a peice of paper that could mean ANYTHNG! hmm i know lets go arrest him!

And we are entitled to our own veiws, this boy was not hurting anyone, he was angry and if i had just gotten beaten up i would be too.

The BNP in short are a bunch of neo-nazis who've set up a political party geared at people who want an all-white heterosexual Britain.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    but kermit made it quite clear he doesn't ...
  • Options
    But he seems to believe that story he linked to.
  • Options
    But he seems to believe that story he linked to.
    #

So theyre lying are they? Just made it up off the top of their head did they?

Doubt it, not even the BNP are that stupid.

You see Blagsta, this HAPPENS. Its not as common as the BNP make oput, because they tend to report every instance of it, but it happens more than you seem to realise. Now I dont care about the politics of the BNP, they are a bona fide political party and to stop people supporting them is wrong.

Ive said before, maybe if the people in power actually listened to what the BNP were saying, and what the people who voted BNP were saying, then there wouldnt be this trouble. Most people dont vote BNP unless theyre trying to make a point- until recently the BNP lost 95% of its deposits- so it might actually be useful to find out what that protest point is.

But you seem unable to grasp the idea that all coins have two sides.
  • Options
    Sorry, but I wouldn't believe a word those cnuts say.
  • Options
    Interesting that they complain the police didn't do anything about the boy getting attacked by Asians when it was never actually reported to them. Hardly a cause for complaint there.

I can't see the point in prosecuting him if he was just carrying the sign however if he was waving it at a group of Asian kids then this action is 'likely to cause a breach of the peace'. A very wide action that can cover different situations.
  • Options

I really think you are missing the point. You seem to have this comment on some kind of post-bot, because you seem to say it all the time. Yes, it is true, TO AN EXTENT.

In my opinion, the boy should not have been arrested. He did nothing but be your average townie and copy what someone else was doing to appear cool. Unless the bus was driving through and area with a high population of Asians, and was trying to provoke something.

However, there is a point where the truth ends, and propaganda begins.

All a sudden, the BNP find out that this boy was beaten up by a gang of Asians, yet it was unreported. How do they know it is true?! And while somebody said this of the Steven Lawrence case , and I was absolutely gobsmacked anyone could be so stupid, maybe it wasn't a racially provoked attack. Maybe this guy is a pillock?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    And while somebody said this of the Steven Lawrence case , and I was absolutely gobsmacked anyone could be so stupid, maybe it wasn't a racially provoked attack. Maybe this guy is a pillock?!

I dnt understand what you mean here. I for one think that it is possible for it not to have been an attack on him JUST because of his race. He may wel have been a prat, i dnt know so dnt slay me.
    But you say that you were gobsmacked by it, why?
  • Options
    Maybe sometimes authorities are racist towards whites. A friend of mine went to a school where everybody was Asian except him and a mate and they used to get beaten up and bullied all the time with names like "chalky" and "milk-bottle bastard" and if they fought back they'd be punished because it was 'racist'.

They sometimes have a point but articals like
    this in my opinion only provoke hatred and give more reason for people such as myself to dislike such a party.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    #

So theyre lying are they? Just made it up off the top of their head did they?

Doubt it, not even the BNP are that stupid.

You see Blagsta, this HAPPENS. Its not as common as the BNP make oput, because they tend to report every instance of it, but it happens more than you seem to realise. Now I dont care about the politics of the BNP, they are a bona fide political party and to stop people supporting them is wrong.

Ive said before, maybe if the people in power actually listened to what the BNP were saying, and what the people who voted BNP were saying, then there wouldnt be this trouble. Most people dont vote BNP unless theyre trying to make a point- until recently the BNP lost 95% of its deposits- so it might actually be useful to find out what that protest point is.

But you seem unable to grasp the idea that all coins have two sides.

I have no idea if they are lying or not. It wouldn't surprise me to be honest. The BNP are a fascist racist party and supporting them is inciting racial hatred. Which is a criminal offence.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zella
    I dnt understand what you mean here. I for one think that it is possible for it not to have been an attack on him JUST because of his race. He may wel have been a prat, i dnt know so dnt slay me.
    But you say that you were gobsmacked by it, why?
    That's exactly what the doc just said (addressed to Kermit). Plus, he was 'gobsmacked' at the suggestion that the Lawrence attack wasn't racially motivated.
  • Options
    The BNP are a fascist racist party and supporting them is inciting racial hatred. Which is a criminal offence.

The BNP undoubtedly are, but freedom of speech should not only be the freedom to say socially acceptable things.

I dont think that there should be a crime of inciting racial hatred on the statute books at all- it is unethical in its application, as it requires no intent to incite, only that someone somewhere might be incited, and I dont think that it is right to prohibit people from saying what they wish anyway. I seriously doubt that someone can be incited to hate racially by someone talking unless they already hate racially anyway, and unless the abuse is targeted at an individual then so what if a few people get offended?

And that works for hamza and the Nation of Islam just as much as it does for Griffins filth.
  • Options
    put it this way, if England was an institutionalised racist state and some held up a card saying "equal rights party", would you all be complaining, the BNP are racist, so what, who cares, they're a nothing party with no future, if a 15 year old feels angered because he got beat up then let him, i'm more concerned at the fact that the police arrested him instead of using their resources more wisely ie stop drug dealing etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough
    put it this way, if England was an institutionalised racist state and some held up a card saying "equal rights party", would you all be complaining,

Nope because we have minds of our own.

the BNP are racist, so what, who cares, they're a nothing party with no future,

Maybe... but then with problems with immigration, I could see their popularity increasing.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Maybe... but then with problems with immigration, I could see their popularity increasing.

hmm... culd u possibly see 20 million racists in this country in the near future, particularly if 20% of the electorate wud in fact be non-white, unless they do get 20 million supporters there's nothin to worry about, even outside their racial position look at their manifesto. it is the biggest load of balls ever, just read it from their site.