Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Top-up Fees: Some number crunching

In then last fifteen years student numbers have doubled.

In the last fifteen years the funding universities receive for each student has halved.

Shurely shome mishtake?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    More and more jobs require candidates to be a 'graduate' to apply, annoyingly it can make no difference whether they're studying Bio-Chemistry or one of the many mickey mouse courses available.
    So I think that companies are responsible for the high increase in students.
    Just so long as they have a 'degree' which apparently shows the potential employer 3 years worth of 'hard work & dedication',
    Translation 3 years of pot noodles, booze, casual sex & countdown!
    So if this is the way things are with jobs then surely the government should be encouraging people to get degrees.
    But how can the government expect people to go for a degree if they're going to be in debt up to their eyeballs.
    When they reach their 30's they might be earning good money and have finally paid off their debts, but who wants to come of uni £12,000 in red? Not a great start to life is it?
    Mines more than that, about 14 I think, although I dont like looking at the figures too much, its scary.

Whats odd about this is the government always goes on about how much more graduates earn, so whats wrong with just letting us earn that and getting it back in tax? The same way they do with all the other larger earners.

I can see the argument that universities do need more money, and I think it should come from a mix of main tax and an increase in tuition fees. NOT the variable ones that are suggested, thats a horrible idea, but just putting another tier on them, so that households with quite a large income pay 2 thousand a term, rather than the one it is now. This would in no way effect people from less well off backgrounds as they dont pay now.
    2 problems with tuition fees:

a) Blair has claimed we need a good uni sector to benefit the whole country, true. If so however why is that only future graduates should pay for this amazing benefit?

b) If university funding is a mess then surely it is beacuse past generations have not paid enough? Why is it then the millions of graduates who got their degrees scot free in past decades will never have to help make up the shortfall that has reulted in the current 'crisis'? That includes the vast majority of MPs, civil servants, lords, govt ministers, special advisers etc that are cooking up this scheme, strange!