Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Telling things

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, i now have my first girlfreind (finally! *grumbles about it being about damn time, im nearish to 18!*) I think things are going ok. At some point im going to want her here arnt i? I dont know how/when to tell my parents about her though. Because she is my first girlfreind and my mum will worry. Also i think they will worry that she is 19, 18 months older than me! So any help with what i should do will be appreciated.:)

I was going to ask the same about letting people i know know, but someone i thought i could trust blabbed. So they all know. I seem to be getting alot of comments about her even though they dont know her, due to the fact that her family is originally from Asia someone. Yeah so any help about dealing with well what could only be said to be rascist comments would be helpful too.
:)

Comments

• Options
    my advice - speak to them openly about her. my parents are really dodgy. my dad gives good advice, but my mum doesnt often let him speak :p. my mum says im too good for any girl, and don't need a girlfriend.

but i think they appreciate the fact i speak to them about it - my mum says she thinks im really grown up (with how i act with everything)
  • Options
    Because she is my first girlfriend and my mum will worry. Also i think they will worry that she is 19, 18 months older than me

You think thats bad? I'm 22 and one of my ex girlfriends was 8 years older than me. She was tasty though. Older woman :yum:.

When your sitting there in the same room as your folks and their talking about someone, maybe their partner or what ever... say, I'm seeing someone too and take it form there. If not just spark up a convo about something and happen drop it in that your seeing someone at the moment. It's no biggie really. I'm sure their be very happy for you!

And if they (people) start to make racial comments tell to mind their own sodding business. It's you that is going out with her, not them. Or maybe just be really sarcastic, not insulting, sarcastic. I am when people are like that with me and then when I give them a sweet dose of sarcastic wit they tend to shut up.

Just remember to chill out 'ma man, it's not like your 2-0 down in a World Cup final with only 9 men and just remember you are going out with her and NOT anyone else. If your happy then sod what everyone else says. As I said, I'm sure your folk will be happy. If your mum is a little worried about the age gap, tell it's nothing to worry about because you nearly an adult and you can be reasonable despite what she thinks. Don't be to Hasty wither though as she's only looking out for you.

Good luck dude.
  • Options
    This time last year i had the joy of telling my mother that i was seing one of my friends, after denying that anything was happening for a couple of months previously.

Nothing had been actually happening but it still felt as if i was going back on what Id said before.

Just say it, Its easier.
  • Options
    eek, well um...shes coming here wednesday. Im sure dad will ask who she is after she's gone.
  • Options
    "See ya later Mum/Dad"

"Where are you going son?"

"Just to meet (insert girly name here)"

"Oh, who is that, I've not heard you mention her before?"

"Tis my new girfriend"

Done.

That was what I used to do :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    eek, well um...shes coming here wednesday. Im sure dad will ask who she is after she's gone.

Good luck :thumb: xx
  • Options
    Originally posted by Glittery Vodka
    That was what I used to do :)

And me.
    Then run out the dorr before the spanish inquisition starts!
  • Options
    whats the big deal about tellin anyone you have a girlfriend?
    have i missed something
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    have i missed something
    Because she is my first girlfreind and my mum will worry. Also i think they will worry that she is 19, 18 months older than me! So any help with what i should do will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Originally posted by molo
    have i missed something

i think with his friends it might be the fact that she's asian. thats what he's said anyway, he said they're talking about her because she's asian.

if thats the case, you need to ignore their ignorant views. it doesnt matter what skin your parents wrap you up in, its your soul and your mind that make you the person.
  • Options
    Ignore the people who are refusing to be open minded. If u are ahppy then it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. I know its hard to go against people, esp when ur quite quiet n they are loud.
    As for telling ur rents, just drop it into convo, or say it just before u leave the house. done that before... Once my mum found out who my bf was by picking up my phone n reading the texts... :blush: really shouldve deleted some of them... :blush::naughty::blush:
  • Options
    Thank you people!

I'll say what happens if anything on Wednesday

As for the guys, most seem to be ok with it actually. Just a couple of twats being twatish. One person spread it around work (where we both work!):rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cute_Baby_Bear
    Ignore the people who are refusing to be open minded. If u are ahppy then it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks. I know its hard to go against people, esp when ur quite quiet n they are loud.
    As for telling ur rents, just drop it into convo, or say it just before u leave the house. done that before... Once my mum found out who my bf was by picking up my phone n reading the texts... :blush: really shouldve deleted some of them... :blush::naughty::blush:

your mum reads your messages?

god, i'd die if mine did :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

Me too. Probably at the hands of my mother.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    my mum says im too good for any girl, and don't need a girlfriend.

Another Norman Bates in the making! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    quote:
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    my mum says im too good for any girl, and don't need a girlfriend.

i think a lot of mum's will tell their son's that....:p
  • Options
    ok then so what happened? well some 'mates' waited outside myself and followed me to where i met her then followed us for a bit before i got angry and run at them. Went to my house (with whole family in...things were risky!) And well managed to go whole time without family seeing her. So yeah if i wana say something ill have to bring it up!:nervous:
  • Options
    ok then so what happened? well some 'mates' waited outside myself and followed me to where i met her then followed us for a bit before i got angry and run at them. Went to my house (with whole family in...things were risky!) And well managed to go whole time without family seeing her. So yeah if i wana say something ill have to bring it up!:nervous:

Why exactly did your mates follow you? Seems a bit immature for 18.

And also, don't sneak about with her, she'll think you're ashamed of her. And what's wrong with letting your family know anyway? No offence but if I had a son and he'd never (to my knowledge) had a girlfriend at the age of 18 I'd be starting to worry somewhat or assuming that he was gay. It's really not as bad as it sounds - just get it over with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

I would too! Some of mine are pretty explicit! Id go mad! She would never though and id never do it to her. Id never do it to anyone without permission :no:
  • Options
    I was kicked out of my house by my mum when she found out I was sleeping with my girlfriend when I was 16/17. I moved out and into a flat for 3 months. I then moved back home after we made peace.

It really changed our relationship as I can freely tell my mum about drug experiences, sex, what i get upto etc. It even loosened her up as she asked me for some weed as she wanted to try it after being diagnosed with MS.
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    Why exactly did your mates follow you? Seems a bit immature for 18.

And also, don't sneak about with her, she'll think you're ashamed of her. And what's wrong with letting your family know anyway? No offence but if I had a son and he'd never (to my knowledge) had a girlfriend at the age of 18 I'd be starting to worry somewhat or assuming that he was gay. It's really not as bad as it sounds - just get it over with.

apparantly they wanted to see her:rolleyes:

She knows im not ashamed of her we her out and about tonite, didnt hold back showing affection;)
    I'll try let rents know soon