Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Post grad study...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Who here is doing/has done post grad study, and how did you fund it? Was it worth it? And what grade in your degree did you get? I'm thinking of doing one but the funding seems like a total bitch...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yere, you wont get paid a loan, but you can earn money teachin the 1st year's. I think roughly you need a 1st to do the cource at a differant uni and a 2:1 to do it at the uni you got ya degree at. Hope that helps! :)

Bopz
  • Options
    You need a minimum of 2:1 to do a MA in my area of study.

First place to look is the relevant research council, next is the department where you want to study, ask them what they think, then it is any other sources, look at Prospects amd probably last resort is a bank loan/sponging off parents/working part-time for slave wages.

I have been looking into it but sadly haven't got too far yet.....:( :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm hopefully going to start a PhD in physics in the not too distant future and I the only way I can do it is with funding from a research council. It's not always true that you need a 2:1 to get funded (I have a 2:2) so it's worth checking but generally the way forward is to find somewhere you want to go and a course you want to do and approach the relevant uni. Usually if the place is funded then all you need do is apply to the uni and the money is available through them.

But, as my experiences are showing, getting funding is like getting blood out of a stone so there's not a lot going around and uni's have to be selective about who takes the places. AFAIK, the typical course fees for Masters level post-grad courses are about £3000 or so but then you also have living expenses, accomodation, books and materials and so on. You'd be looking at a bare minimum of six grand for the year so if you're going it alone with your own cash (loans or whatever), consider how much benefit you will get from doing the course. I've had stories from some people saying their Master's year was a waste of time and money when they could have gone straight into a PhD. Think carefully.
  • Options
    I want to eventually become a lecturer and want to do my PHd at Glasgow. The ESRC will fund a 1+3 course (masters then PHd) but competition is quite high... And I really want to stay at Glasgow which is where I'm at now. What kind of funding body has the best chance of success? Or is uni funding the best way to go?
  • Options
    ESRC is the best way but like it has been suggested it is very competitive.

You might as well apply for it anyway, talk to your department and sort out an application as soon as possible!

The problem I have is that I am not sure whether i want to do a Phd so I am not clear whether i want to go for the 1+3 funding dammit!