Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

pre16-niscard-working stuffs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, basically, at the minute im 15 and am working illeaglly at a hairdressers on sundays.
my nis card should come through at the start of next month so what i'm wondering is can i get a job at a proper shop, for example hmv, as soon as my nis card arrives or do i have to wait for my 16th birthday?

cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i know supermarkets will employ you as soon as you have a nis card down here although wether its legal or not iono
    You can work for eight hours on a saturday but only two hours on a sunday if you are under 16

useful article

Call the following for more help:

WERAS (Wages and Employment Rights Advice Service) Helpline
    Telephone service for low paid workers, their advisers, employers etc. Offers information and advice on pay, employment rights, and benefits.
    Helpline: 0800 220823

Susie :)
    You don't actually need a national insurance number to start work. If you don't have a national insurance number, the Tax Office that deals with your employer or the Contributions Agency will allocate a temporary number until they have traced your national insurance number, or your national insurance number card has appeared in the post. I'm assuming the only reason you don't have a card is cos you are under 16 here!!
    What is the point in a national insurance card? Mine is just sat in my wallet gathering dust.

.:Crispy:.
    It's just proof of your national insurance number...you can live without it, but it speeds up the process if you ever need to claim state benefits...you can show them proof of a verified national insurance number rather than having to wait for the verification checks to go through.
    ok, so it came this morning, does this mean im able to work in proper shops now?
    I guess so, I suppose it depends on the shops policy but there has never been anything to stop you! I started my saturday job at 14 in a well known high street chemist, long before I had my national insurance card.
    Re: pre16-niscard-working stuffs
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    ok, basically, at the minute im 15 and am working illeaglly at a hairdressers on sundays.
    my nis card should come through at the start of next month so what i'm wondering is can i get a job at a proper shop, for example hmv, as soon as my nis card arrives or do i have to wait for my 16th birthday?

cheers

A lot of nationwide entertainment retailers like HMV, Virgin etc. etc. to the best of my knowledge only hire over 18s. I think it's because they sell DVDs/videos of which some will be 18 certificates, so it's basically the same circumstances as off licences.

But before you turn 18 it would be a good idea to work in small shops and get a bit of experience behind you before going for the HMV type jobs.
    we sell loadsa products too, so i know me way around a till!
    umm well basically i found out that i have to stick with it for 10 weeks then i can get a job somewhere like outfit (mixture of topshop miss selfridge dorothy perkins)

cheers for all your help
    A lot of nationwide entertainment retailers like HMV, Virgin etc. etc. to the best of my knowledge only hire over 18s

Nah I worked in Virgin when I was 16, its legal for you to sell things with an 18 certificate and legal for you to sell alcohol etc. if you're under 18 as long as its sealed.