Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student Cooking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, anyone got any ideas for cheap student meals? Thought we could build up a list of recipes...

I'll start with a cheap and easy chilli!

500g mince
1 diced onion
1 can of kidney beans
I can of chopped tomatoes
1 packet of chilli powder mixed with 1/4 pint of water.

Brown the mince in some oil, add the onions when the meat in nearly cooked. Then drain off excess fat, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. This will make enough for four people or can be frozen. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Double sausage and chips from the chippy is £1.80 :D I'm in catered halls anyway so I don't have to bother! (yet)

My culinary skills currently extend to microwaves... :o
    I'm catered too, so kebabs and pizzas are the order of the (late) night meal, given they serve dinner at stupid time.

Fish is easy to cook with a few taties, nutritious and tasty, simply fry the fish until it's of your taste. Also works to grill them, if you've got a posh kitchen.

Stir fry is great on a tight budget - just chop up some vegies (peppers, broccoli, peas, carrots, whatever takes your fancy or whatever's in the fridge,) throw in some pre-cooked noodles and you're on your way. If you're using meat, make sure to cook that before everything else, since it takes longer. :)

Rice is a good staple - mix with some salad leaves and soy sauce for an interesting taste combination (that I absolutely adore.)

A few ideas anyway. Am looking forward to cooking for myself next year - at least I can choose to eat a decent time then.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    I'm catered too, so kebabs and pizzas are the order of the (late) night meal, given they serve dinner at stupid time.

Yeah, what time are your meals... dinner's at 5:00 during the week and 4:30 on sundays! If your out until 2am then that's like nine hours without a meal if you don't get something else...
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Yeah, what time are your meals... dinner's at 5:00 during the week and 4:30 on sundays! If your out until 2am then that's like nine hours without a meal if you don't get something else...

Jesus, you do get it bad. We've got dinners at 6pm during the week and 5pm on weekends. Weekend breakfasts are absurdly early - who the hell gets up before 11 anyway? Actually, come to think of it, I've made 4 breakfasts in 6 weeks that I've been here.
    Originally posted by Turtle
    a few taties

Och man, you dinnae get it richt. :p:lol:
    I think I would have really disliked living in catered halls, not being able to cook when I wanted it, did you have access to a kitchen at all? I presume not, I'd really hate that.

I mostly lived on fruit, pasta with different sauces and pizza, oh and sticky buns from the baker.
    I'm in catered halls, but we do have a kitchen with a crappy hob. I'm living on pasta at the moment, always with a token vegetable so I feel healthy - some baby tomatoes, or a bag of green salad, or tinned sweetcorn or something.
    Urm a simple easy one is:

Mice
    Bake beans
    Pasta

Mix um up, job done

You can cook with everything though! we are not having any probs, if in doubt add random stuff, like marmite and beer.

Bopz

he he food
    Mice????!!!! :eek: Did you mean mince?
    Originally posted by Luce
    Mice????!!!! :eek: Did you mean mince?

Whatever's going, surely. :p
    He's a cat...
    Mice? I could only get my hands on rats when I was at uni. The odd cockroach dipped in syrup was the perfect dessert.
    Re: Student Cooking
    Originally posted by miztas
    Hey, anyone got any ideas for cheap student meals? Thought we could build up a list of recipes...

I'll start with a cheap and easy chilli!

500g mince
    1 diced onion
    1 can of kidney beans
    I can of chopped tomatoes
    1 packet of chilli powder mixed with 1/4 pint of water.

Brown the mince in some oil, add the onions when the meat in nearly cooked. Then drain off excess fat, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. This will make enough for four people or can be frozen. Serve with rice.

Enjoy!

u forgotted the rice!!! tsk

why not just buy a student cook book? (or steal one, if ure really that skint!!)
    im in a self catered halls and im still living on crap microwave ready meals, i just cant cook or rather cant be bothered!!
    A cheap meal?

Grilled mackerel with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and lemon juice on it, a baked potato with mayo and some salad.

Cost :£1 per head. Less if you buy in bulk.
    i've been living off frankfurters for a month now :D
    usually can find em 2for1 at sainsburys and just chuck em in bread, pasta or mash - and they cook in like 30 secs too - bonus
    protien shakes from asda. one a day is all you need, ur talkin 45p a day in bulk, really handy if your out of cash
    We seem to be doing good for food and we do a group shop for 6 odd people, unfortunatly there hasn't been a vegetable or bit of fruit in sight for about 6 weeks, so expect me to have scurvey very soon............:crazyeyes

Bopz
    I'm in catered halls and we don't have a hob, just a microwave, kettle and toaster so I can't even make pasta :( but I live on cuppa soups in between meals - yum.
    How can they give you catered halls without a hopb - seems a bit scandalous to me, you should complain!

Anyway, my meal - I am slowly introducing everyone to this - it's potato squares :yum:

You need (for one person):

1 medium potato (peeled and chopped into little cubes)

1/2 chopped onion

whatever else happens to be lying in the fridge (e.g. red and green peppers, mushrooms, carrots, sweetcorn, bacon....)

Garlic, salt, pepper, herbs, soy sauce (to taste)

1. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and add the potatoes.
    2. Stir fry until they are warmed through and starting to cook
    3. Add the rest of the ingredients
    4. Add some seasoning
    5. Cook till cooked
    6. Serve in a bowl
    7. Eat :yum:

Seriously, try them, they are so yummy and every time you make it it's different cos you can use different ingredients!
    Originally posted by KoolCat
    Anyway, my meal - I am slowly introducing everyone to this - it's potato squares

you know, after the last time you posted this, i tried it, and it's SO nice.

i have become slightly addicted.

only thing i do is microwave the tattie first, so it's already cooked before i add it. makes it really soft and :yum:
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    only thing i do is microwave the tattie first, so it's already cooked before i add it. makes it really soft and :yum:

oooh, that is a good idea :thumb:

you know, in france, they actually sell potato squares in the freezer department in supermarkets!
    Chicken Breast, wrapped fully in bacon and cooked. Then for about last two minutes add some grated chese or chese slices over the top to cover and do whatever veg or potatos you want.

The bacon keeps the chicken sooo moist and it's lovely.

Other than that I'm living on pasta or micro meals because I can't be bothered to cook for one. Just doens't seem worth it. Can't wait to go home for xmas and be cooked for. But I do try and do a sunday roast each week. :D
    Roast Potatoes like mummy does....

Peel and cut potatoes,
    Put a shallow baking tray in 1/3 with oil (a little more than a shallow fry) in the oven at 200°C to pre heat,
    Boil for about 5 mins,
    Drain off the water,
    Put lid on pan and shakkey shakkey (to ruff up the edges),
    get that baking tray out of the oven put ruffed up potatoes in and spoon over some of the oil,
    Put back in the oven wait 20 mins,
    take out rotate
    Put back in the oven wait 30 mins until golden,
    Put on plate with bacon wrapped chicken above :)