Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

GWB's Thanksgiving

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shoudn't the title of this thread be 'GWB's election campaign'?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Shoudn't the title of this thread be 'GWB's election campaign'?
    still very impressive in my book!
  • Options
    "He's got to win in '04. No one else can prosecute this war like he can," said Army Capt. John Morrison from Butler County, Pa. Said PFC1 Kyle Crittenden of Humboldt County, Calif.: "I'm proud to serve in his Army."
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    :rolleyes:

It is a very sorry state of affairs indeed when when "news" management in the once-free USA has reached this state.

When did Comical Ali switch sides?
  • Options
    whatever your point of view ...GWB turning up in baghda is quite incredible to say the least! the troops must have been buzzing!
    the terrorists must have been well pissed off.
    i think it is incredible that he can do what he just did ...total defiance and a fuck you attitude ...absolutely fucking brilliant!
  • Options
    There's probably quite a few units he didnt go to visit, some of whom have been documented and shown in televised reports as wanting to tear several members of the Bush administration a new arsehole for having lied and put them and their brothers in the front lines for a pack of lies.

No doubt it was a very well orchestrated visit. As orchestrated as the exposed fabrication of the much touted "letters home" scam praising the administration, but upon closer scrutiny established as having been form letters written by certain commanders, not individual soldiers. How's that for the chain of command.

Hmmm seems a perfect example of Than's "daisy chain" policy at work in the field! Sign or do shit detail for the next month!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

i think it is incredible that he can do what he just did ...total defiance and a fuck you attitude ...absolutely fucking brilliant!

There was alot of flack concerning the flight schedules, 11 Sept. Accusations of "cowardice", on the part of the CiC.

This man absolutely clangs when he walks. He is not afraid to put his life behind his words. If no one has noticed, there are still attacks on aircraft taking place in Baghdad.

It elevated "Bring it!" to another level. And backed it up.

Amusing, those who would demean the man for his act, yet not have the testicular requisites - themselves - to do the same thing.

Since he took office, this president has made it a point to show respect to those who go in harm's way, at his behest. Far cry from the wanker Clinton... who was looked on in deserved disgust by those in uniform, especially those he betrayed.
  • Options
    Thanksgiving... isn't that a celebration of ethnic cleansing or something?
  • Options
    GWB's words to the troops, in Baghdad

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/11/20031127.html
    Those who attack our coalition forces and kill innocent Iraqis are testing our will. They hope we will run. We did not charge hundreds of miles into the heart of Iraq, pay a bitter cost in casualties, defeat a brutal dictator and liberate 25 million people only to retreat before a band of thugs and assassins.

We will prevail. We will win because our cause is just. We will win because we will stay on the offensive. And we will win because you're part of the finest military ever assembled. And we will prevail because the Iraqis want their freedom.
    Each one of you has answered a great call, participating in an historic moment in world history. You live by a code of honor, of service to your nation, with the safety and the security of your fellow citizens. Our military is full of the finest people on the face of the earth. I'm proud to be your Commander-in-Chief. I bring greetings from America. May God bless you all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Thanksgiving... isn't that a celebration of ethnic cleansing or something?

Mindless prejudice from a perspective of ignorance.

Might study up on your history, before you blather about that which you do not comprehend...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Globe
    Mindless prejudice from a perspective of ignorance.

Might study up on your history, before you blather about that which you do not comprehend...

Sweetheart, it's a question, not a criticism so don't have a hissy-fit.

Tell us about thanksgiving?
  • Options
    Since he took office, this president has made it a point to show respect to those who go in harm's way, at his behest.
    You mean, like attending funerals and stuff?
  • Options
    And encouraging TV networks to show footage of US soldiers' coffins returning home (not)?

What do you make of that Thanatos? How respectful of Dubya and his all powerful neo-con cronies, to stop TV networks from showing footage of coffins being flown home...

That transpires respect and honour for the dead, doesn't it?
  • Options
    And another thing...

Please don't make me laugh with the issue of Dubya's bravery... It is universally known (and 100% fact) that the spineless chimp went into hiding for nearly half a day after the planes struck the WTC. Feared for his safety or something. How very brave, on the day that saw the gravest incident seen on US soil...

As for his surprise visit... well the answer is within that phrase: "surprise". He hasn't got the balls (unlike others within his government who at least have shown their faces) to make an announced and official visit to Iraq. Despite the fact that he would be completely safe from two blokes and a donkey carrying some home-made RPGs.

Look at his visit to London. He was scared shitless and made some truly ridiculous demands such as that the London Underground is closed just in case a bloke detonates a bomb hundreds of feet underneath, and it kills him on the surface :rolleyes: . Or that the Queen changed her (grade-listed) windows to bulletproof ones just in case someone stood at the gates with a rifle :rolleyes: and tried to locate and shoot Bush as he walked by one of the many hundreds of windows. Or that US fighter aircraft be allowed to patrol the sky over London.

Etc etc ad nauseam.

Throughout his time in office Bush has shown all the bravery of a common rat. That you seem to admire his surprise and secret visit to Iraq- in which he was probably in less danger than at home alone with a bowl of pretzels- speaks volumes about the acts of bravery shown by this Crusader for Freedom to date.
  • Options
    I think the first comment was the most accurate.

GWB has an election coming up, so its a brilliant publicity stunt. I loved the way that they went to all this trouble to pretend it was a secret, then let 20 hand-selected (ie Bushite) journalists fly on AFO along with him to see the wondrous masses of soldiers waiting for their hero.

Electioneering, what electioneering?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I think the first comment was the most accurate.
    Yay, me!! :hyper:
  • Options
    Re: And another thing...
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Please don't make me laugh with the issue of Dubya's bravery... It is universally known (and 100% fact) that the spineless chimp went into hiding for nearly half a day after the planes struck the WTC. Feared for his safety or something. How very brave, on the day that saw the gravest incident seen on US soil...

Hmm, leader of a country under attack, with a plane heading towards his base (the White House) and so he is protected. It's about maintaining the chain of command.

Unless you think that the likes of Churchill etc stood on the street of London during the blitz...
    As for his surprise visit... well the answer is within that phrase: "surprise". He hasn't got the balls (unlike others within his government who at least have shown their faces) to make an announced and official visit to Iraq. Despite the fact that he would be completely safe from two blokes and a donkey carrying some home-made RPGs.

Hmm, prime target. Ever heard of operation security?

No? Well that's what keeps people alive - why give your enemy a sniff of what you are going to do?

BTW He is still the only serving POTUS to visit a war zone...
  • Options
    Re: And another thing...
    Originally posted by Aladdin

Have not noticed you making the flight into Baghdad Airpost, lately, to demonstrate your own heuvos... :lol: Could it be that ... there are none? :rolleyes:

Are you so out of the loop that you are unaware of the attacks around and over Baghdad Airport?

Are you so devoid of experience in the real world that you are unaware that in combat, we pull our officers down and to safety, lest the become a target of opportunity?

This President greeted his first audience of Army personal with a HOO-AH!. He has demonstrated a respect for those who go in harm's way, at his direction.

And on this occaision, he put himself in harm's way, for those who serve at his direction.

And the media? Were there to record, and send the message for the other service men and women, who are putting their lives on the line, that their President is firmly behind them. And on this particular day. WITH them...

And in the mind of a grunt? On the other side of the world? In what is still a combat zone? That demonstration is priceless.

It is not about "votes": it is about a demonstration of support for those who went to war, who put a value to a concept, greater than themselves.

And beyond the comprehension of those spineless chimps, such as yourself.
  • Options
    Re: Re: And another thing...
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Hmm, leader of a country under attack, with a plane heading towards his base (the White House) and so he is protected. It's about maintaining the chain of command.
    He was into hiding many hours after the planes had struck and the fourth plane had crashed in Virginia. Refusing to surface anywhere outside whichever nuclear bunker he'd gone into, and long after it was very clear to the whole world (but apparently not to him) that the attacks had been well and truly over for many hours.

He certainly likes to use the 'security' excuse from pretty much everything: as well as to justify war, torture and death abroad, to keep demonstrators away and avoid potentially-embarrassing situations, check out those who dissent with the White House, and go into hiding when he's shitting himself.
  • Options
    Re: Re: And another thing...
    Have not noticed you making the flight into Baghdad Airpost, lately, to demonstrate your own heuvos... :lol: Could it be that ... there are none? :rolleyes:
    I suspect they're rather bigger than your own set, which by all accounts shrink to microscopic size if you're not accompanied by one of your assault rifles when going down to buy the paper. ;)
    Are you so out of the loop that you are unaware of the attacks around and over Baghdad Airport?
    And are you so deluded as to think the US military couldn't give 110% protection to the President's plane?

If two blokes with a piss-poor old RGP couldn't bring a defenceless cargo plane down, what makes you think they could bring down Air Force One with all its protective measures (and of course the security operation that would be patrolling the area)?

I thought military matters were at least one issue in which you could claim some expertise...

This President greeted his first audience of Army personal with a HOO-AH!. He has demonstrated a respect for those who go in harm's way, at his direction.
    Sending people to their deaths under false pretenses and in the name of geopolitical control and oil interests is not my idea of "showing respect" to the troops. How very grandiose of him to go and tell them they've done a good job (of aiding the US government in seizing control of more oil assets and extending its political grip)!

It is not about "votes": it is about a demonstration of support for those who went to war, who put a value to a concept, greater than themselves.
    If you really believe that you're rather more naive than I had thought.
    And beyond the comprehension of those spineless chimps, such as yourself.
    The only spineless chimps, other than your President, are people such as yourself who happily allow their shocking right-wing bias to blind them from reality and prefer to live in a happy fantasy world where FOX gives fair and balanced reporting and Bush is really fighting for America's freedom. :rolleyes:

Dear oh dear...
  • Options
    shut the fucking moaning!
    i don't like GWB's brand of politics. of course it will do wonders for his re-election campaign. of course he did it in fucking secret!
    BUT HE DID IT! what he did was fucking incredible. imagine being one of those pissed off and weary warriors ...and the president of the U.S.A turns up to dish out the turkey and sit down and have thanksgiving dinner with you in fucking baghdad of all places! whatever your political views ...whatever your cynisism ...the man done good!
    saddam must have been banging his fat head against the wall.
    all the suicide merchants in the land must be fucking crying into their goats milk.
    GWB ...basicly said fuck you ...fuck the lot of you ...look who's in town.
    it was nothing fucking less than INCREDIFUCKINGBLE.
    for once ...I SALUTE THE MAN!applaus.gifrespekt.gif
  • Options
    Was his visit to Iraq a bad thing? No, and I never said it was.

But I refuse to join the wankfest Thanatos and others have doubtless gone into elsewhere, and certainly can see well through the visit as the cynical pre-election stunt it is.

Bush wasn't the first political figure from the US and Britain to visit Iraq. His visit was neither ground-breaking nor extremely dangerous. With the level of protection, intelligence and troops devoted to him (think of the shameful and disproportionate operation he mounted for London, ffs!) I can assure you he was very much safe.

If he decides to go on a routine patrol on a Humvee with the foot soldiers that are being killed daily I will eat my words about the relative dangers of his visit. But that has not quite happened has it?
  • Options
    Don't overlook the fact as well that this "meeting with the troops" comprised a mere 600 undoubtedly preselected soldiers whilst there are tens of thousands throughout the country, a fair number of whom would not have given him the HOO-AH spirit Bush's handlers required him to be greeted with.

It was first and foremost a PR stunt. Given the lies that predicated and maintained our occupation and what it has already cost our servicemen in lives and morale already, the spin has been turned up full throttle to make it appear far more supportive than the long running facts of the entire situation warrant. Such is the nature of the media controlled electioneering ethos of the US political arena.

Diversionary tactics at their finest!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Don't overlook the fact as well that this "meeting with the troops" comprised a mere 600 undoubtedly preselected soldiers whilst there are tens of thousands throughout the country, a fair number of whom would not have given him the HOO-AH spirit Bush's handlers required him to be greeted with.

Wheras when he came to the UK he met some of the families of UK soldiers KIA in iraq. Some were openly hostile.

But you won't mention that, because it doesn't fit your profile, does it?

I don't like GWB, but then I don't have blinkered vision about him either. When someone does something good, you really should applaud.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Wheras when he came to the UK he met some of the families of UK soldiers KIA in iraq. Some were openly hostile.

But you won't mention that, because it doesn't fit your profile, does it?

It fits my point precisely, and precisely why his visit was less a magnanimous gesture of showing support for the troops than a clear electioneering strategy designed to provide the "sincere CIC" image to an increasingly doubtful public back home.

As orchestrated (as previously mentioned) as the much touted "letters home" campaign that was subsequently revealed to be a stack of form letters written by military commenders and signed by individual soldiers (likely in some case under threat of shit detail or worse).

But I can equally agree that Hilary's trip to Afghanistan (where our units have expressed a greater sense of abandonment by this administration) was equally a photo op stop for "the other" party.
    I don't like GWB, but then I don't have blinkered vision about him either. When someone does something good, you really should applaud.

Neither do I have a blinkered vision of him. His record of crony capitalism and daddy's repeated bailouts to cover his trail of failed and questionable buiness practices as well as the very cadre of cabinet appointees that served daddy so well, all demonstrate clearly what Dubyah is all about.

The blinkered vision belongs to those Bushbots who prefer the misinformation of certain leading ultra-conservative pundits who blindly bash liberals as our nation's greatest threat whilst the administration quietly dismantles all semblence of due process and Constitutional rights.

I stand with those who believe in upholding the obligation of my nation's citizenry in holding our elected leaders accountable for real abuses of power, not merely petty sexual indiscretions.

Hell, if Europe moralised as puritanically and voyeuristically as we do, there wouldnt be a leader left in office across the entire continent! lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    It fits my point precisely, and precisely why his visit was less a magnanimous gesture of showing support for the troops than a clear electioneering strategy designed to provide the "sincere CIC" image to an increasingly doubtful public back home.

As much as it was about supporting the people he has sent to risk their lives on behalf of the US. Or should I say US and Iraq.
    I stand with those who believe in upholding the obligation of my nation's citizenry in holding our elected leaders accountable for real abuses of power, not merely petty sexual indiscretions.

Hell, if Europe moralised as puritanically and voyeuristically as we do, there wouldnt be a leader left in office across the entire continent! lol.

I agree with most of what you wrote there, except thois passage had me laughing. Gotta love the irony of someone working for the EU talking about holding people to account for real abuses of power.

If you cannot see the irony in that, then perhaps you are as much a part of the problem as the people who won't hear a bad word about Bush... :)
  • Options
    Once again you proceed to throw in issues not related to the discussion.

If you wish to discuss EU abuses of power then by all means create a topical issue for discussion. This discussion concerns GWB and the US. Therefore I will deal here with this issue as it impacts next year's vote grabbing and the potential continuation of a demonstrably wrongheaded foreign affairs agenda.

EU abuses of power currently pale in comparison of global impact, given that the EU itself has largely acquiesced to a backseat position in the current atmosphere of international militancy. Instances of abuse at the national level are not typically the focus of my research, but ill gladly attempt to contribute to discussions of such.