Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Parasympathetic Subdivision of the Autonomic Nervous System?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can someone briefly explain what it is or what it does? Quick search came up with fuck all.

:crazyeyes

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You mean stress response?
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    You mean stress response?

Fuck knows.

Is that what the parasympathetic subdivision of the autonomic nervous system is? Stress response?
    I think you're on the way, J. :p

After doing a bit of research, I think the parasympathetic subdivision of the autonomic nervous system is actually, like MoonRat said, a stress response system that's activated when you induce a state of calm or tranquility (eg. when meditating or relaxing the muscles) that helps combat the short-term stressor.

Can anyone clarify? :confused:
    Lay off the drugs. Seriously :razz:
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    Lay off the drugs. Seriously :razz:

Hell, if drugs made me this clever I'd be taking them 24/7 (..and no wiseass comment either). :p
    Do you know about fight or flight? Well, when faced with perceived danger our body switches in to sympathetic mode where our digestion slows down and our heart rate increases. Also, our pupils dilate and we feel butterflies, we feel nervous. This is when our body goes in to fight or flight.

Now imagine a caveman faced with a sabretooth tiger, well the fight or flight response would serve him well because he would be ready to either do a runner or stand and fight.

As for parasympathetic... it is the state you are probably in now.

The ANS controls it all...

is that enough info?
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    Do you know about fight or flight? Well, when faced with perceived danger our body switches in to sympathetic mode where our digestion slows down and our heart rate increases. Also, our pupils dilate and we feel butterflies, we feel nervous. This is when our body goes in to fight or flight.

Now imagine a caveman faced with a sabretooth tiger, well the fight or flight response would serve him well because he would be ready to either do a runner or stand and fight.

As for parasympathetic... it is the state you are probably in now.

The ANS controls it all...

is that enough info?

Yeah I know the fight or flight reaction, this is where adrenalin and nor-adrenalin come in isn't it? The sabre tooth tiger thing is the exact example we got given in a lecture. He also added that this was supressed in the modern society because we cannot run from our work desk or whatever.

And I'm hardly parasympathetic with this essay hovering above me. :(:p
    Yup, you doing this for AS psychology?