Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The DUP wins in Northern Ireland. What now?

After the final results of the Northern Ireland Assembly Elections confirmed that the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) won the biggest share of the votes, things are looking very grim indeed for the region. Story

The abominable Ian Paisley is determined to destroy the Good Friday Agreement for good. I don't know if the other parties can run the Assembly without the DUP once the government re-instates it, but I believe one thing. If the Good Party Agreement is destroyed, the region will see a return to full scale violence; and that includes the IRA. Better start checking for abandoned packages on the bus again... :no:

What the hell were voters thinking anyway? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree - we're screwed.

"He wouldn't even share a cup of tea with him, never mind share power," said our correspondent.

That basically sums up the entire mentality of Paisley and the entire DUP. The ought to just accept that Sinn Fein aren't going to go away and ultimately a return to violence is going to rest on whether or not the Agreement gets going again.

Their whole manifesto was based on absurd scare mongering and I think too many people fell for it.
  • Options
    People unfortunately will always fall for the political scare-mongering of their 'leaders'. I'm hoping Paisley can the see the sense in power-sharing unless of course he wants a return to the good old days of the 70s/80s. I can't think of anything worse personally.
  • Options
    I dont really like Paisley as he has always been a bit too fundamendalist for me, think if he had real power he would have the world stopped on a sunday:(

However, I do understand a lot of the shite some people have to go through in Northern Ireland and can understand the frustration of the people who vote DUP as they have been trampled on in the last 12 months or so.

I dont really want to comment on this issue that much myself as I have only been to Belfast a couple of times therefore dont have a cleaner pictute as most but I do have an uncle living there who gives me his side of the story, I think he voted for them this time round due to being let down by a lot of people in Ulster on his political side.
  • Options
    Re: The DUP wins in Northern Ireland. What now?
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    What the hell were voters thinking anyway? :rolleyes:
    I would have said they were angry that they lost their assembly and either (1) didn't vote and let the extremists take over (as in France 2001) or (2) were so annoyed that they voted for extremists because they want to get rid of Blair... and who can blame them?!
  • Options
    Can't see how voting DUP will do anything to get rid of Blair :confused: